1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Federal prosecutors being forced out

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by MarinJohn, Jan 19, 2007.

1. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I'm not exactly sure what this unusual step means. Why would such a provision in the patriot act be inserted unless it is an escape clause for the bushivites to have a court friendly to their shenanigans? Granted these prosecutors serve 'at the pleasure of the president', but to have such a housecleaning just before congress begins investigations on the presidency APPEARS screwy. Any legal beagles or others more knowledgeable with the legal system than I care to give their opinion?

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/6420AP...eys_Resign.html

SAN FRANCISCO -- Two U.S. attorneys in California announced they are stepping down, as critics alleged political pressure from the Bush administration was pushing them and others out of their jobs.

Kevin Ryan, chief federal prosecutor for the state's Northern District, and Carol Lam, who headed the state's
    Southern District, both announced Tuesday they would be leaving. The two are among 11 top federal prosecutors who have resigned or announced their resignations since an obscure provision in the USA Patriot Act reauthorization last year enabled the U.S. attorney general to appoint replacements without Senate confirmation.

"The Bush administration is pushing out U.S. attorneys from across the country under the cloak of secrecy and then appointing indefinite replacements," Feinstein said. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales denied the claim, saying administration officials "in no way politicize these decisions".

MJ here...Fool me once shame on me, lie to me constantly and I don't believe anything you say.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/...tor-nevada.html

LAS VEGAS – The U.S. attorney in Nevada said Thursday he will step down, citing discussions with Justice Department officials and joining other federal prosecutors announcing resignations in recent weeks.
    Bogden was one of several U.S. attorneys to announce their resignations this week. Others included U.S. Attorney Carol Lam in San Diego, who prosecuted Galardi and Malone on bribery charges in that city, and the U.S. attorney in San Francisco, Kevin Ryan. Also leaving this month is U.S. Attorney John McKay in Seattle.

California Sen. Dianne Feinstein, a Democrat, complained on the Senate floor Tuesday that the White House was using a provision of the USA Patriot Act to oust Ryan, Lam and other federal prosecutors and replace them for the duration of the Bush administration with White House allies.

A provision in the terrorism-fighting act allows the attorney general to appoint replacements indefinitely, without Senate confirmation.

U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales denied Feinstein's claim. But he has said that in the year since the Patriot Act was reauthorized, at least 11 U.S. attorneys in the nation's 94 federal districts have resigned or announced their resignations – some at the urging of the Bush administration.

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

You know, for a man and his cronies you claim are total morons...

3. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Jan 19 2007, 01:43 PM) [snapback]377768[/snapback]</div>
    I am stunned to find myself agreeing with squid. Not at all a bad idea on the part of Bush to clear away potential prosecuters. Creepy, yes. Strategically smart, yes. Yikes.

4. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Isn't this exactly what Nixon did in a desperate last-ditch attempt to stay in power?

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jan 19 2007, 09:12 AM) [snapback]377744[/snapback]</div>
    Dang! You took the words right out of my mouth. :lol: [of course, I am referring to trusting anything you say]

Funny how you left off the most telling part of the story . . .

“It's a political appointment,†he said, “a presidential appointment.â€

You're not exactly sure what it means . . . but that is a conspiracy theorist's favorite thing!

6. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Of course it's not like the Bush admin would actually like any of these prosecutors gone, you know, like prosecutor Carol Lam who:
    >>also oversaw the government's case against Randy "Duke" Cunningham, the former Republican congressman who pleaded guilty to taking $2.4 million in bribes, and her office won corruption convictions of two San Diego city councilmen.<<
    http://www.ucg.net/2007/LAW/01/17/feds.quit.ap/index.html

7. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

Ya gotta love old rich lefties!

[​IMG]

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No one said Karl Rove or Cheney were stupid.

Speculation is that Lam was asked to step down because of her prosecution of Randy "Duke" Cunningham. I understand there is still an ongoing investigation. This would certainly put an end to that. The supposed reason she's being fired is that she didn't go after drug dealers enough. Or some such crap.

Ah, the Patriot Act. Yep, this is sure going to make us safer and more secure. Those damned terrorist prosecutors.

9. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 19 2007, 02:32 PM) [snapback]377995[/snapback]</div>
    Goddamn, the silence on the left is killing me. If the left ever tried such a dastardly trick the righties would be so loud you couldn't hear a jet take off overhead. We're getting just what we deserve. Oh, and if I knew how to cross out your statement above "Those damned terrorist prosecutors" I would have replaced 'prosecutors' with 'executive branch'. We have the very best government money AND silence can buy.