1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Feedback on 2004 appreciated

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by zigzak, Apr 2, 2011.

1. zigzak

zigzak New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    We just purchased a 2004 prius with 36000 miles. I have been reading up on them on this site. I would love to get some feedback from some of you guys on the new purchase. Was 11000 a good deal? How many miles are some of you others with 2004's rockin? And what kind of problems have you experienced?(if any) Thaks for your input. This site rules!

2. outoftown

outoftown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We still have one 2004 package 9 with factory XM, which I installed. It has 175,000 miles on it and have had no serious issues. You are lucky to find one with such low mileage. One recall to reinforce the steering shaft and an early recall (replacement Nav DVD) is all I recall. I replaced the rear shocks recently and the 12V battery and other than a couple of set of tires with Kumho Eco Solus 100,000 mile warranty being the current set, we've been very happy with the car, even though it was totaled a year ago with a front ender with an Odessey that ran a red light. After the body repair, the only dealer service ever was a belt and pump which I didn't have the time to do. You will be very happy with your purchase. Even though we bought another 2010 Prius yesterday (we also sold a 2005 and 2010 earlier this year), in some ways I still like the gen 2 better.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    :welcome: welcome to Priuschat!

I have a 2004 with almost 100'000 miles. Still runs like a charm and still gives me high-60s mpg in the summer. As outoftown attested, I could expect twice as many miles. And so can you.

4. sstk100

sstk100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really like the 2004 I have, except for the upholstery easily stains.

Simply said......Get seat covers.

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My 2004 has 213,000 miles and just a few problems to date:

1. Steering column - there was a recall on this, but mine needed replacement some time after the recall at about 150k miles for $1k
    2. Multifunction Display (MFD) - almost all of these fail due to a cracked solder joint at a connector pin. A refurbished unit is available from Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle PHEV at a reasonable price (~$400). I fixed mine myself using instructions that are available at Prius MFD
    3. CD player - The stereo is not great. I replaced the unit once with a salvaged one and that one failed as well. If yours should act up just go to a good car stereo shop and have one installed. Mine is a Pioneer 33HD and it works great for about $250 installed.
    4. 12v battery - Most of these fail early (mine lasted 7.5 years!) and a replacement is about $200 (either Toyota or the better Optima Yellow top, no others fit properly)
    5. HV battery - Typically not a problem, but it will fail at some point due to age/use. Mine failed at 195k miles (Toyota $3300 or a refurbished one from Remanufactured Hybrid Vehicle Battery Packs for $2000 installed).
    I suggest that you change the transmission fluid now (4 qts of Toyota type WS - about $100 at a dealer) and again every 60k miles. Enjoy your new car.

JeffD

1 person likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my daughters 04 has 90,000, no problems. jeff, she never got a steering column recall, are they all bad?

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Depending upon which model (ie. Base vs Package #9 or something in between), $11k is probably a bargain if it has that few miles and no history of being in a wreck or anything. Hard to find one with that few miles that's 8 years old--4,500 miles/year is nothing.