1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fellow driver needs help!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cireecnop1, Nov 1, 2007.

1. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello there guys, I haven't been on here for oh.....maybe two months, some of you might remember me.
    My prius was destroyed by a hail storm back in august just to recap;I had to have almost every panel on the car replaced there now you are up to speed. Well I went to pick up my car yesterday and OH MY!!!!! The body shop (Toyota Collision Center) did the worst job I have ever seen!! Over spray everywhere it was on the front plastic piece below the windshield on all four wheel wells , the engine compartment, the gas cap, AND NOT TO MENTION MY BACK SEAT!!!! and the paint was running in a couple of spots , they were even talented enough to leave paint lines on all the door sills and the hatchback sill.but back to the subject. I needed photos of the rocker panels (the botom metal piece below the doors) and the bottom half of the doors on 2007 White Touring models, the reason is...they painted stone guards(that rough textured paint) onto the bottom of the doors and are trying to tell me that the Prius comes like that, there are no 07's at their lot to compare mine to and they want to keep my car like that, I personally think it looks like they royally screwed up on overspraying the bottom half of the doors and just decided to "call it" stone guard. also, I wanted to know if those of you with the 07 touring models, do you have a clear bra that is on the rear passenger door sills? I can't remember if I had some there or not, because there aren't any on it now.
    Any help is GREATLY GREATLY appreciated.

sincerely,
    Prius owner in Mourning. :(

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't gone out to check my 07, but if I remember correctly, that stoneguard paint stuff should only be on the rocker panel, and then, only on the lower part of it. The paint on the doors should be smooth.

Really sorry and shocked to hear about the paint job Toyota did for you. In the 1960s and 1970s in NY we had a car paint place called Earl Scheib (sic?) who painted entire cars for $29.95 until the price went up to $39.95. Earl's cheap paint job was a lot better than the one you got. Toyota owes you a do-over done right.

3. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My '08 has it all the way across the bottom--and about 2" up the doors. Best stuff since bubble wrap. Used to call it "orange peel," because of it's texture and there are days when I think the WHOLE CAR should be that way!

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skguh @ Nov 1 2007, 11:18 AM) [snapback]533389[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, I never saw or heard of it going on the doors. I just went out to my 07 to double check, and my memory was right: Doors are smooth. Top 1 inch or so of the rocker panels is smooth ... then below that it gets increasingly stoneguardy.

What's the point of the stoneguard paint effect? And does it work?

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    PVC on the rocker panels, urethan on the lower part of the doors... according to the collision repair manual.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    both my 2004 and 2006 had that textured paint on the rocker panels right on up to the foot scrape pad things.

7. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 1 2007, 11:58 AM) [snapback]533404[/snapback]</div>
    galaxee - what does this mean ... the PVC ... the urethan?

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well, we're reaching beyond DH's expertise, but it's something to do with the type of paint that they use or a coating between paint layers.

9. rwhoyle

rwhoyle Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Nov 1 2007, 01:03 PM) [snapback]533463[/snapback]</div>
    I have an '08 Touring and it doesn't have the orange peel paint on the doors. Just along the rocker panels. I think skugh my be mistaken about it being on the doors.

Slide

10. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    After reading this, I ran my fingers down the door & then down to the panel before the door. The botton 2" of the door is definitely a different texture than the rest of the door, but the panel; beneath the door has a much more "pebbly" surface.

11. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Awesome guys!!!! Thank you for your help. I knew there wasn't suppose to be that rough texture on the doors. I really hope they can get it right this time, I miss my car and I would love to trade it in for another one but the 09 Tourings only come with leather and I don't want that.

Thanks again for your responses..I'll keep you updated.