1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fender Bender = red triangle and a bunch of other warning lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dadeo, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Dadeo

Dadeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hello there Forum friends.

I have 2 2006 Prius's. One has over 300k and this one has 130k miles on it.

I just slid into the rear bumper of a truck. Rain and an abrupt stop do not work well together. Anyway, I left with a crunched hood and everything else was fine. It was a light tap, and I basically went under the trucks bumper and hitch.

I looked and the hood only latches once but no damage to the condenser or lights and no fluids leaking, but after I started the car, it felt and ran the same but lots of lights came on. I will attach pics for people.

Here is a description of one thing that is different and the lights:

- my cruise control light does not light up and it does not work

- red triangle - master warning light
    - airbag (SRS warning light)
    - yellow brake system warning light
    - VSC light (vehicle stability control system warning light)
    - check engine light

- in MFD the hybrid system warning light

According to the diagnostic tool in the MFD, battery is holding steady at 12.2 - 12.6 volts, goes up to 14 when I start the car. I have driven over 100 miles since the incident on Highway and urban roads and still getting between 46 - 51 mpg. It also shows that the battery is keeping and taking a charge.

So I am just wondering if the impact caused a default action with certain sensors and they just need to be reset?

I don't know. But that is why I am asking the Forum. You all have helped me a ton over the years.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe caused a loose connection. did you try disconnecting the 12v neg for a few minutes?

3. Dadeo

Dadeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks Bisco,

I am going to try that tonight.

S Keith, can you elaborate? I don't quite understand your advice.

4. Dadeo

Dadeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks Steve.

So, I pulled out the 12v battery and had it load tested. It passed with flying colors.

The codes before pulling out the battery and after are the same. All lights remain. So something (s) definitely need to be fixed/replaced.

Here are the codes:

- B100 -- Airbag engine control unit malfunction

- C1241 - Low Battery Pastime voltage.....

- C1310 - malfunction in HV

- U0293 - lost communication w/hybrid control system

- P1116 - Coolant temperature sensor (CTS)

I do not have the skill to figure out what needs to be done. I can work on the car if I know what needs to be replaced. If any of you have ideas or advice, please share.

I just wonder if an ecu or sensor was damaged somehow and is causing these error codes?

Thanks.

U0293 seems like it might be the core issue. After reading about that, it seems like I need to figure out my CAN communication system. From what I understand....if that is wacky then it can cause a domino effect. Well, when I get some time today I guess I will be reading.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

#4 Dadeo, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2016
  5. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It sure sounds like some of those codes could have been caused by a forcible stop and damage to the front end. And the ECUs in question are under the right side of the dash in the cabin, away from direct damage. But it would be smart to check connections. Some of the codes point that way, too. Sorry I can't help--never done that.

Are you getting all codes as read by Toyota Techstream software, or from a generic reader?

6. Dadeo

Dadeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As I started to read the steps to diagnose and repair, one of the troubleshooting steps is to check connections. So once I figure out where things are, I will definitely do that.

As for the codes, it was read at a local auto parts store. Probably a generic OBD II scanner. Do you think there is something....ineffective....with that?

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Definitely. Get Mini VCI.

DTC C1310 means the skid control ECU is reporting a problem with the hybrid system. However you have not reported any DTC from the hybrid vehicle ECU or the traction battery ECU. At least one such code exists that your list has omitted.

8. Dadeo

Dadeo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks.

Looking up mini vci.....it looks like a cable. Is there software that allows it to work with an android phone?

9. Cycle M5

Cycle M5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its a fair bet that your cooling system needs to have the bleeder valve opened up to remove any air that could have gotten in the inverter cooling system. Its a fairly simple process, its cheap, and it's a good place to start. It has been my experience that the procedure needs to be done repeatedly after driving for a few minutes until the Triangle of Death goes away.
    Next, try connecting OBD pins 4-13 and pump the brakes 8 times to clear the codes. Then go from there....