1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fender washers...An inexpensive modification that will save the bottom splash panel.

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Mike500, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I've own may cars with plastic splace panels under the engine and bumper area. Nearly ALL of them have washered "bolts' or screws that hold these panels on.

From my experience, these are almost never adequate over years or repeated removal are replacement and general running vibration and "wear and tear."

One of my first "modifications" is to place one inch OD 1/4 inch hole "fender washers" under each screw. Be careful that there are two different sides on each washer, which is "punched" from sheet metal. Place the slightly "rounded" side towards the plastic cover. Most Prius' use around 16 of them; cheap insurance.

I've owned cars that were over 15 years old. Putting these "fender washers" on the screws means that the plastic does not "tear out" at the bolts.

3 people like this.
  2. anewhouse

anewhouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like a good plan - I've also had a few cars with lots of that plastic cladding, and it's annoying when the little screws/clips come out. I end up using lots of cable ties - easy to keep in the car and add wherever needed, even in a rest-stop parking lot.
    In my experience, many of the fasteners have a push/snap attachment, rather than a threaded screw. Does the v have real bolts or screws that are removable and replaceable?
    Also, did you use stainless fender washers, or just let them rust?
    Thanks for the suggestion,
    Andy

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    There are nearly 18 hex head screws under the dront bumber area holding the plastic panels on. The two holding the front under radiator panel to the bumber are "sheet metal threaded" into while plastic expansion inserts. The others are M6x1.0 with small captive washers under them about 16mm OD on the washers, which are still a little small. All of these can be removed and replaced with a 10mm socket or nut driver.

I used regular zinc plated washers, which are fine with me, since I did a complete rust proofing job on them, as well as the entire car.

It wouldn't be hard to replace them, since I went to Lowes and order 25 stainless steel fender washers from Graingers for about $6 delivered to my home. I can go to Graingers and get them on my own account, but Grainger's ia a 14 mile trip, and Lowe's is a 1/2 mile away. I just haven't gone under the car to replace them. I might do that with the first oil change, which I plan to do at 2k miles or so. I'm not waiting for the 10K change at the dealer.

Here's the link to the Grainger's Item;

https://new.grainger.com/search/ecatalog/N-1z0ny2qZ1z0o17jZ1z0o05jZbjw/Ntt-fender+washer

4. anewhouse

anewhouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the info! That's helpful. I haven't jacked up my v yet, but I'll probably take a closer look this weekend. I also plan to do an oil change around 2000 miles, but right now we're closer to 200. :) Just getting started!

I just ordered some SS fender washers - found a good deal (with $1 shipping) from a company called McFeeley's (can't post links yet). I needed some other screws anyway, so that made it an easy choice. (I'm a hobbyist woodworker, and McFeeley's is well known for selling the best wood screws out there, and backing them up with great customer service. No affiliation besides being a satisfied customer!) Anyway, they had a pack of 25 SS washers for $6.05. I'll work on adding those as I have the opportunity to do so.
    Thanks again,
    Andy

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Andy,

I put on the stainless steel washer' yeaterday. You need 15 of them, and they fit perfectly. Remember to place the rounded, rather than the "cut" edge next to the plastic.

Toyota evidently put screws on the fromt bumper filler panel and the front of the engine cove panel, because this is a high stress area. You'll be glad that you made this modification years in the future.

It was easy. I had them up on my Race ramps that I got from Amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B003ZA8WIE?tag=priuschatcom-20
    They work perfectly, with one inch clearance on the bottom front bumper. I got the FREE chock in two weeks after submitting the rebate. They don't slide like the cheaper Rhino Ramps. I even use them on grass,

Regards,

Mike

1 person likes this.