1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fess up! I'm not the only one.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LT1bird, Jul 12, 2005.

1. LT1bird

LT1bird New Member

Just like the topic says... I know I'm not the only one. Who of you will be the first to confess that 'your other car' is a gas-guzzler? I admit it! The car I just sold (to put a down payment on the Prius) is a '95 Firebird formula that was modified and put out about 300 hp and 335 lb-ft of torque. That one is gone, but I still own a '72 Pontiac LeMans with a modified 350 with 3-speed auto geting a "respectable" 12 MPG... on a good day :wink: Just because I got a Prius doesn't mean I'm a tree-huger... I care about the environment.... but I care more about my pocket book :oops: God I love my Prius!

Cheers,

LT1bird

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

see my signature. all my bad habits are gone. At least that's what I'm claiming. Nothing in the drive way but........P's

3. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We own a few vehicles. Two ford tauruses, my Prius, and a (don't kill me) class c motorhome. I wish someone would make a hybrid motorhome....I bet it would sell well.

4. baxsie

baxsie Member

The Prius is to replace my 1990 Jetta (which gets about 29 in daily driving)

Also have a 2000 Sienna (25 ish).

1968 Ford 6-cyl pickup (14 on a good day)

1946 Chevy Truck (6-cyl, 2-speed rear end, duals, dump bed, etc)--just happy if I can get that one ("Rita Mae", my wife named her, "Rita May Not" I call her) and have never measured the mileage.

5. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

Well I've got an Old's Bravada that if you don't push it too hard will get 15 mpg on average. I also have a 7 Series BMW with a lifetime average of 18.5 mpg (V8 300HP) - but on the highway it cruises at about 28 mpg.

6. AngelFish

AngelFish New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We got rid of our 98 LS1 Transam for one of our Priuses. The other Prius replaced a car that was totaled by a semi.

For us, the Prius is more about the rising cost of fuel, and the fact that we both drive 40 miles each way to get to work.

The other car we own is an Avalanche... (guess which one does not get driven to work.) In the end, we more than break even in the cost of filling the truck VS buying and filling a prius to commute with each month.

7. HighMPG

HighMPG New Member

An '05 Expedition. 14 MPG. We own horses and must have this vehicle to tow them and students' horse to shows and clinics. Actually, horses are my wifes thing, but it still hurts to gas that thing up every week.
    My Prius replaced my '97 Lexus ES300.

8. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    95 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    18 on highway, averaging about 14.

However, my wife and I switch cars daily depending on who is driving farther, and even switch mid days often. Since we bought the Prius in Feb, we have put on 6000 miles on it, and limited the Jeep to about 500 miles. It's literally never farther than 6 miles from our house. But at least we have something that we can use in deep snow, or to haul things when needed. It makes no sense for us to buy a 2nd hybrid when we can limit the miles on our second vehicle so severly.

9. toddpalino

toddpalino New Member

1996 Mazda Miata (M-Edition)
    1999 Ford Explorer (XLT)

Originally, we were looking at buying a new Ford Freestyle to supplement the existing cars because we have a baby on the way, and you can't put a baby seat in my Miata. After 11 weeks of waiting for the Ford dealer to get the ordered car in, we got fed up, decided we didn't really need the Freestyle, and bought the Prius (Silver #6) instead.

So we have the 3 vehicles for the 2 of us now (it doesn't make sense for us to trade one in). Whoever's driving more on a given day will take the Prius. Most days, that's me because I have a 50 mile commute to work (each way). On nice sunny days, I'll drive the Miata instead (about 30mpg. Not too shabby). And the Explorer picks up the slack, and is also for carting beagles about (20mpg on a good day).

I'd have no problem with getting rid of the Explorer and the Miata, but the problem then becomes that we wouldn't have a vehicle that's large enough to reasonably drive the beagles around (yeah, I know, they'd fit in a Prius, but not if I want to put anything else in there). Plus there are times we just need the cargo space. Maybe a truck soon...

-Todd

10. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :iagree

Exactly our situation, only we have a 100 lb Weimerarner, who just fits in the Prius. We would love to get a hyhi, which I drove and love. But 40K+ for a car is tto expensive, esp. when we can limit the miles so severly on our second vehicle. Our plan is to buy a cheap car for a grand or so to use as the second car and keep the Jeep at the cabin to tow the boat and/or bring home during the 2 snowy months.

11. Schmika

Schmika New Member

'97 Sebring convertible-25MPG- is now our cruising w/top down car

'95 Dodge Caravan- 23mpg- hauls around stuff for our landscaping jobs (I'm not putting anything dirty in my Prius)

Sold a '65 Mustang convertible to buy the Prius (I miss that car)

My wife and I work about 1/2 mile apart so we carpool on our 26 mi round trip commute.

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    other car (i.e. dad's car) is an 02 Camry XLE. It's averaging a reasonable 10.0L/100km (6.7L/100km on the highway).

13. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I used to drive my dad's 92 Pathfinder during my college years. Poor handling, LOW MPG, leaks everywhere, etc... I hated it! :cussing:
    Glad I'm able to get my own Prii now. Loving it.

Scott

14. popoff

popoff New Member

'05 Prius #6
    '04 Highlander Ltd AWD
    '03 Audi A4 Quattro

3 cars but only 2 drivers

I've been trying to sell the Audi ever since I got the Prius in March.

I just got a brainstorm to sell the Prius for at least what I have in it and, when the Audi finally sells, get a new Prius.

If the A4 doesn't sell this weekend, I think I will go ahead and put the Prius up for sale.

15. LT1bird

LT1bird New Member

Thanks guys. Now I don't feel as bad anymore :lol:
    (Does anyone know how I can add an evil laugh audio clip
    to this?) LOL. J/K

16. TheProgrammerGuy

TheProgrammerGuy New Member

1976 Chevrolet Vega - dark blue - 25mpg (my first car, BTW, bought it new)
    1992 Chev Cavalier Z24 Convertible - teal - 20-30mpg
    2001 Chrysler 300M - dark blue - 20-25mpg
    2001 Pontiac Aztek - blue - 18-22mpg
    2005 Toyota Prius - Driftwood - woohoo!