1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fiat 500 Hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by nerfer, Sep 15, 2008.

1. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll be nice and post news with a link instead of copying the whole article, taking up a lot of space and possibly infringing copyright issues:

From autoblog:
    Having already had to increase production several times over, the Fiat 500 continues to win the hearts and minds of consumers around the world... tree-huggers included...the 500 hybrid is tipped to join an electric motor and battery pack to Fiat's 0.9-liter two-cylinder gasoline engine. The diminutive yet stylish hybrid is also expected to employ start-stop technology and a dual-clutch transmission...Fiat is reportedly planning to unveil the 500 hybrid at Goodwood Festival of Speed next summer.
    [​IMG]
    This retro version is a pretty cool looking little car in my mind, and does look like the original Fiat 500 (like what Jerry Seinfeld rolled in NYC).

And this older egmcartech.com article and this autounleashed article states the Fiat 500 hybrid could get around 80 mpg (largely because it's so much smaller than the Prius).

However, I can't find the article in the paper over the weekend that I think said they planned to bring it to the U.S. sometime in the next couple years.

2. miscrms

miscrms Plug Envious Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Pretty cool, we certainly need some good small hybrids. Just keep in mind 80mpg is probably pretty exaggerated. By the time it meets US emissions and safety standards, and gets put through a real test procedure more representative of American driving conditions, along with all the usual euro/US units confusion, the number is quite a bit lower. For example, the car sounds similar in size, engine and transmission to the SMART. That would give it a base efficiency of about 36mpg combined in the US. An excellent hybrid design would maybe improve by 50%, bringing up to 54mpg.

Rob

3. Picasso Moon

Picasso Moon Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "excellent design" and Fiat are probably two words that should never be mixed in the same page. :)

4. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wasn't going to go there :D

Rob

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hehehe... but it does look very stylish inside and out.

6. aliades

aliades New Member

FIAT acronym stands for: "Fix It Again Tony" :eek:

they have the worst reputation in Europe for problems, specially related to the electrical / electronic components they use in their cars....

When discussing the option of a hybrid FIAT with my neighbor (ex owner of a crappy FIAT) he mentioned: "I cannot imagine the reliability of a FIAT with more electro components than a conventional car, or (even worse) a FIAT with only electric motor. Simply it wont even be able to move a centimeter"

Anyway, I feel that FIAT is the correct market path by presenting a small hybrid model :rolleyes:

7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh no, the reputation of hybrids could be harmed eternally by this. Fiat electricals are an abomination of engineering, if there is a god allowing Fiat to produce a hybrid which relies on an electric motor to make it move is surely his most powerful joke to date.
    By the way, the Fiat 500 in it's current form isn't even remotely related to the Fiat 500 of old, it's twice the size for a start. It's a case of, if BMW can do it with the Mini we can do it with the bambino. Thing is the new Mini is a pretty good car.

And as for its global success, I haven't seen one outside a showroom here in Adelaide and yes I know what they look like.

I once owned the Fiat 500's big sister, the Fiat 850 coupe. Fun to drive but a piece of crap.

8. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    PatSparks -- I read that Fiat left the Australian market in 1989. Has it re-entered Australia?

Fiat left the US market in 1984. Hard to imagine that it will re-enter it with a hybrid, unless it's a real, worldwide, game changer of a car.

9. Ogo

Ogo Prius Owner since 2008

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Fiat will mostly target Europe and especially Italy with hybrid model.
    I was yesterday in Rome for a business meeting and they definitely have a valid reason for small cars. Most of the cars driven on the streets of Rome are in the range of Fiat 500. Also Smart cars are very popular and most of the people use a motorcycle or Vespa for job commute. Driving big SUV is not cool on the streets of urban italian cities. ;)
    Also saw few Prius taxis there. :)

Ogo

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Very nice looking car. I have to concur though, that Fiat's reliability reputation leaves a lot to be desired.

11. miscrms

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Fiat option might look pretty good by comparison if one of the UK car companies commissions a Lucas designed hybrid system :D

My '73 Saab had Lucas electrics, which made me fully appreciate why they call him the Prince of Darkness.

Rob

12. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

they will be buying the system from some supplier like Bosch or Continental in any case... if they do it well, and it is an full hybrid, it will be awesome of course.

13. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes unfortunately the Italian gelding (not exactly a stallion) has been allowed back in to Australia. Fiat Australia I have seen a few Fiat vans on the road but the 500 has been pretty elusive.

The Prince of Darkness couldn't hold a candle (pardon the deliberate pun) to the Count of Conking Out, Magneti Marelli. Every trip an adventure, will we get there today? Italian electricals are the reason all race cars have fire extinguishers.

14. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The impression I get from the Italian side of the family is that because of that real or perceived frequency of repair problem, even Italians in Italy would prefer not to buy a Fiat or other Italian made auto or bike. But they frequently have to do so because of costs.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought Renault would be the one with the reputation for poor quality cars (by Euro standards)

16. Ogo

Ogo Prius Owner since 2008

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fiat had quite a lot of quality fluctuations over time. They are trying to improve over last few years, but do not know how successful they are.
    Regarding the french guys, they also fluctuate quite a lot in quality. You can buy a Renault which will last you for ages, on the other hands most will not. Here some of the car dealers do not buy out used Renaults with DCI engines (diesel common rail) at all due to quality/reliability problems. Fiat never had so many problems with their diesels (JTD) as Renault.

17. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

French or Italian is still crap. We get a lot of used cars from them in Eastern Europe as they lose a lot of their value, and fast...

18. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I fixed it last time. Why do you think it's broken again?!