1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fibb, you need to read this thread

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Tideland Prius, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps you've seen the movie Who Killed the Electric car? and thought that contemporary electric vehicles are on history's scrap heap.

But in a small shop near the rural Vancouver Island community of Errington half an hour north of Nanaimo, the electric vehicle is, well, humming along on a modest scale, courtesy of Randy Holmquist.

In fact, his conversion vehicles are now in use around the globe.

Spencer Baird drives one in Tofino on Vancouver Island's west coast.

"It's quiet," he says. "I can drive it right into my garage and I don't get exhaust fumes in my house."

John Joseph drives one in Virginia, clocking about 120 kilometres each day to and from work.

"It's a great commuter vehicle," he says. "And it's fun to drive. I'm just tickled to death with it."

Holmquist became fascinated with electric vehicles in 1990 when he worked as a marine mechanic in Nanaimo, about 28 kilometres from home. He got a small handbook from a man in Oregon who was doing conversions from gas to electric. Following the rough instructions, he converted his 1963 Triumph Spitfire.

Source: Canada.com