1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fidelity Warranty Services

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by adamace1, Apr 1, 2011.

1. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a few questions.

I have heard that the east cost Toyota dealers don't sell the Offical toyota warranty is this true? If they don't what kind do they sell?

When i bought my car it came with a free 100,000 powertrian warranty from fidelity warranty services. I'm wondering if this warranty will cover anything or is it a joke? When i look at it it says things like Transmission/transaxel will cover all internal parts including..... But it really doesn't talk about any of the hybrid parts on our cars but it doesn't say it doesn't include them.

I guess what i'm looking for is people thoughts on this warranty.

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just did a Google search for "fidelity warranty services problems" it doesn't look good.

3. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ha, I guess you get what you pay for...

4. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm just not a fan of extended service contracts. I'd rather put the cost into my account and self-insure my own maintenance, even adding a few $$ each month. I know there have been instances of major expense, but when compared to the thousands and thousands of Prius sold, the odds of it happening to me are negligible. I firmly believe the insurance actuaries believe the same. After a year, I still have all my maintenance expense allocation, not counting oil chanages.

5. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I guess i will try asking a different way.

Do Toyota dealers in the south east sell Official Toyota extended warranty or is the Fidelity one of the other ones they sell?

I didn't pay for it they were giving them to anyone who bought a car from them. I'm just wondering if anyone has used them?

http://www.bbb.org/south-east-flori...ranty-services-in-deerfield-beach-fl-25000717

Is this real a A+ rating from the BBB?

I did read alot of the complaints on google, but most of it was people that did not read their warranty. I'm thinking they should pay for a repair if i did need one. it's only powertrian so the engine/transaxel/front drivetrain parts.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Of course Fidelity or anyone else isn't going to warrant the hybrid components. The minimum factory warranty is 8 years/100,000 miles. In CARB states it is 10 years/150,000 miles. On 2nd thought, for $10 I will personally warrant your hybrid components for 8 years/100,000 miles provided the car is serviced by a Toyota dealer.

I can't imagine any Toyota dealer not pushing Toyota's extended warranty as they usually make a good profit on it.

3rd party warranties (insurance by another name) have earned their poor reputation. Only specified items are covered. Especially on a Prius, IMO you have a worthless piece of paper. Are you sure you weren't charged for it?

7. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nope it was free i checked all the numbers and made sure. When i was siging the papers they had me sign the warranty paper and that raised a huge red flag for me but they said it was free so i double checked everything and i was not charged for it. I have also went over all the paperwork a few times after i bought the car the only extras are tax/title/ and gap ins, so i am positive i was not charged. I am wondering about the electric motors/transaxel. Toyota only covers it for 60k miles but the Fidelity says it covers all internal parts of the transaxel so i was wondering if they would cover it. I was meaning the electric motors/sensors in the trans axel, I do know all the other hybrid stuff has 100k warranty.

I still don't understand how the two electric motors/sensors in the transaxel are not a hybrid component.

If your 10$ warranty also covers the transaxel/electric motors and sensors i would like you to send me the contract and a bill LOL.

8. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota Southeast uses Fidelity as their Warranty Service, it was offered to me when I purchased my Prius (and it certainly was not free!). Being as the standard Power Train Warranty is 5 yrs/60K miles, at least those components now match the mileage warranty of the Hybrid Components. Not a bad deal for free. The Toyota Platinum Warranty sold here is bumper to bumper, so coverage is much more extensive.

1 person likes this.
  9. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok LOl what does Toyota southeast mean? The south east area of the us or is that a dealer? But you already somewhat answered my question, Toyota dealers do sell this warranty. Thanks for the info

10. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, Toyota Southeast refers to the Southeast Region of Toyota Dealerships. I'm not sure how far the region extends, but I do know for sure it covers GA and FL and probably extends north to the Mason/Dixon line and west to the Mississippi.

Something else to keep in mind, TOG (a member/sponsor here on PriusChat) sells the actual Toyota Platinum Extended Warranty (honored at any Toyota Dealership) at a discount, and you can purchase it through him at any time prior to the expiration of the factory 3yr/36K bumper to bumper warranty.

So, there is really no reason what so ever for anyone to feel pressured into making a decision about an extended warranty on a new Toyota while sitting in the finance office at a dealership (unless you really like the guy and want to give him a big commission on the sale of an over priced extended warranty)!

11. adamace1

adamace1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks you answered my question, Fidelity is sold around the south east, so it's a bigger warranty company. So they should pay for repairs as long as i read all the fine print.

I did think about buying one from him, but considering i got this one for free i thought it would be a waste.

12. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    SET (South East Toyota) includes FL, AL, GA, SC & NC.

13. twittel

twittel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Toyota Southeast is not dealers, but the Toyota Distributor for for the southeast region of the U.S. S.E.T. is a Toyota North American Corporate type of organization. I know others have sort of answered the question.:)

14. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Fidelity is owned by the same company that owns Southeast Toyota (Jim Moran), so it's no surprise they push it over the Toyota warranties.

15. Phil67

Phil67 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I bought my '07 Prius, with 33 miles on it, I got STUPID and bought a Platinum warranty from Fidelity, that was sold to me for $2,398 from the finance manager. My logic at the time was that I would exceed 100,000 miles in 2 1/2 years, due to the commute I had to my job, which was 60 miles each way every day. I bought the warranty only after being shown on the contract, and assured that it was refundable, minus a $50 administrative fee.

Well, after over 4 years of waiting, I have arrived at the golden 100,000 mile mark, and have gone through the process of attempting to obtain a refund on this warranty. I called Fidelity a week ago to gather the appropriate information in how to properly file for a refund. I was given a fax number and commenced to go through the steps. The hardest part actually is driving over to the local Toyota dealership to have them certify my odometer. Well, since I am not buying anything from Toyota, they just make it difficult, and don't want anything to do with you. Nevertheless it was somewhat painless for the most part.

So today, a week later, I receive a call from Fidelity, telling me that because I had 33 miles on the car when I purchased the warranty, that my car had not exceeded the appropriate mileage to obtain the refund. Could I recertify the odometer with the dealership, and refax the paperwork.

A) Who uses a fax anymore?
    B) Really? Are you that obtuse that you can't see the forest for the trees on mileage? 100,000 miles is 100,000 miles. I bought the freaking car new!!!!

Nevertheless, I digress. I want my $2,348!!!

Several things to share with you to consider.

1) Unless the repairs on the car would have exceeded $2,400 I would not have pulled out this warranty on a repair.
    2) I just gave Fidelity over 4 years of interest free money to use as they wish. Foolish!
    3) Try selling a car with this sort of warranty on it, prior to the warranty expiring. You won't receive a full refund of the amount, which essentially means you are locked into the car for the duration of the warranty, or you get screwed out of the warranty trying to sell the car.

Bottom line, steer VERY clear of this sort of shenanigans! It's a rip off!!!

Disclaimer, I worked for Hickory Toyota for a month. Scam on top of scam. It's all a big money game, and the only people that get the dealership's attention are the current customer in front of them getting screwed by someone. I'll probably patronize another type of car dealership in the future where I know they don't have the same dog and pony show that Toyota does. Their professionalism is a joke.

16. Chris W

Chris W New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fidelity Warranty Services is a RIP OFF!!! For obvious needed repairs, the company refuses to send an inspector out to witness the car overheating and cutting off. They said that seeing this happen along with diagnostic reports and tests from several mechanics for parts covered under my warranty aren't enough. The lights verified by the diagnostic report and the car cutting off in the middle of it being driven aren't enough and if it was, again they are not willing to send an inspector out to see. THEY are a total rip-off. The mechanics have all given me the same repor in that since the dealership is closed where I purchased is closed that I've basically gave them over 3,000 for a platinum warranty that they will not honor. I'm not sure if they are in a financial crisis, but I really hope this company falls to pieces and is uprooted, bought out, goes bankrupt or something. It is a shame. But, I wouldn't even go as far as to purchase another vehicle from any dealership that is selling a warranty from them. PLEASE do NOT make the same mistake that I did. Listen to all the complaints on here and DO not waste your money and get ripped off as well. Thank you. I hope this report was helpful.

Check out Yelp, Rip Off Report, BBB and other sites.