1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fifty shades of Prius grey...?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by jastidy, Sep 14, 2017.

1. jastidy

jastidy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Hey, I'm just about to buy an old second hand Prius in the UK, probably 2006 - 2008 plate. However I am a bit confused about the colour options that were available at this time - I'm not sure if it's just the lighting and cameras used in the ads, or whether there are shades of grey that are very similar?

I was going to post some links to some darker shades of grey which look slightly different to me between a 2006 and 2008 T Spirit model, but it won't let me until I've been a member for a full day.... will return tomorrow and post them!

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    UK colours may be different than those that were offered in the US or other countries.

WilDavis likes this.
  3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2009 Gen II is in Magnetic Grey, which I thought rather "ho-hum" when I first saw it, but it grows on me with time and doesn't show the dirt. Winter grey is similar (from what I've seen). ;)

RCO and jastidy like this.
  4. jastidy

jastidy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    Well, I found a list of colours for the 2006 and 2008 models and they have only one grey option in each list, with slightly different names - 'magnetic grey' and 'magnetic grey metallic' respectively... I wonder if there is really any difference between these greys? Does anyone here have either colour?

(The country doesn't seem to make much difference, but I'm not 100% sure of that.)

5. jastidy

jastidy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    I actually really love this colour, but the one I'm looking at now I'm sure looks a bit lighter than yours.... very confusing!

6. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    More pics to be seen in my albums (see Media, and pull down) ;)

7. jastidy

jastidy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----UK----
    That's funny WilDavis, in the middle photo on bottom row yours looks lighter than in the two photos flanking it - similar to the difference I was seeing in the ads, so I guess it must just be something to do with the metallic paint reflecting! Such a nice looking car, I'm really looking forward to getting one but slightly nervous as it is a bit bigger than the very small car I learned and passed my test in, which was a Peugeot 308....

WilDavis and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I see what you mean, and I've found that the Magnetic Grey does that, in other words its appearance seems to change according to the ambient lighting conditions. I think you're correct in that it must be something to do with the metallic nature of the paint. I've seen a similar effect with other metallic colours, I well remember seeing a Lexus in an antique cream which seemed to have a glow to it, and on closer examination found it to be a metallic paint, and I found it not unattractive if I'm honest! ;)

Oh, and BTW, don't worry about having more space - your stuff will invariably expand to fill any extra space in your new car! :rolleyes:

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's right. My Honda was metallic red and in bright sunlight it always seemed orange.

10. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh, and BTW, there are many other pics elsewhere in my album. The middle picture to which you refer was taken with the light, and bright sky reflected in the car, whereas the others were taken from the other side, against the light, with the building(s) reflected in the car! ;)

RCO likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Decuma Grey Mica (Magnetic Grey Metallic in US) was offered in 2006 and 2008 so it should be the same colour. It does look slightly different depending on angle and lighting.

Pure White, Tyrol Silver, Decuma Grey, Astral Black, Vermillion Red, Aztec Bronze, Verbier Green and Glacier Blue were offered. I think Lagoon Blue (dark blue) was offered at one point but I don't know which years (my guess is the later years... 2008-2009)

WilDavis and RCO like this.