1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Figured Id Introduce Myself

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by durallymax, Feb 21, 2010.

1. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I figured I would formally introduce myself.

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. Welcome.

What's the WV modded with? APR? I know a few people with modded Audis.

3. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    welcome

maybe start thinking about putting a DPF on that pulling truck.:p

4. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The vw has 110hp euro injectors high flow downpipe and high flow cat for now. I'd do more but most of the money goes into the puller.

I'm sure if I put a dpf on it it wouldn't last 10 seconds before it would be plug.

Interesting thingthpugh, there is a racing diesel fuel from Europe which produces no black smoke. But taking away the smoke takes part of the experience away from the fans.

5. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yes hahah the fans like to inhale nice black ( no health risk :rolleyes:) holding smoke:)

6. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    pullingingign

7. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    both.
    but i like no diesel or petrol smoke but if i have to decide then i would take petrol
    not only because of the smell but also more about the cancer causing stuff that is more in diesel then petrol.. ( to what i know )

8. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Have you thought of a performance chip or remapping the engine? There are many aftermarket 'chips' over here which can boost the performance of diesel cars from about 140bhp to 170/180bhp etc. I know they do them for the VW diesels but whether they are any good for your engine or warranty is outside my experience.

Do a search on google and you should find a variety of companies and offerings.

And yes we do have a variety of diesel fuels here in the same way we get Premium and Super unleaded. The performance diesel is sold at most larger service stations at a similar price to Super unleaded. It allows the car to run smoother, quieter and also quicker :D and is mainly for performance diesels such as the Audi 3.0 quattro diesel.

9. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

10. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

11. F512M

F512M Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome to Pchat. What made you sign up on Priuschat? Just asking:)

12. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    because the hybrid vs diesel question gets brought to my attention a lot so it would be good to know more about the prius while also making sure diesel facts stay on track.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent! i've been driving a prius for 6 years and have not found anyone interested in talking to me about hydiese.:D

14. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    id like to see a clean diesel in a prius, the mpg difference would astound many people.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is clean diesel an oxymoron?

16. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No I was reFerring to the new clean diesels which are ultra low emissions vehicles now.

17. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are some interesting things afoot in Europe at the moment regarding diesel hybrids. I understand a few manufacturers have some almost ready to roll (though don't ask me which). Should be interesting.

To put a point of balance here. I used to be a diesel fan as they are very popular here and Americans are only just waking up to the benefits of a MODERN diesel such as the latest VW TDI's etc. The low down torque is amazing and you really have got to drive one before you can really comment on the negatives a modern diesel.

They do have issues though in that the power band is very very narrow and you have to work the gearbox to get the best out of them. You get a window of about 1500 prm of power before it dies off and you have to change gear again :(

There are benefits to diesel though. If you do lots of long distance highway driving then a diesel would be ideal. You'll get great economy without the complexities of a hybrid. Alterntatively, if you do town/city driving then a hybrid is ideal. Here in the UK where gas/petrol is rather expensive I have taken to driving the Prius as a cab and am saving lots of money! A 4 cyclinder automatic petrol car gets about 23 mpg in town, a manual gets 26 mpg, a similar diesel gets about 32 mpg and my hybrid gets about 45-50 mpg! (UK mpg's).

So there is a place for a modern clean diesel, but I do think that the hybrid technology has overtaken diesel as a way forward to reducing energy use. And that's coming from someone who has driven many different modern diesels for the last 10 years. (it is just an opinion though :) )

18. durallymax

durallymax Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't really understand why they don't make diesel hybrids in the us. A gasoline engine will never be as effiient as a diesel combine that with a hybrid drive system and you've got one he'll of a car that is was more efficient than current hybrids.

19. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think there are a number of factors why we don't see diesel hybrids. Weight is an issue in a hybrid already - imagine if there was a heavy diesel engine up front too! My understanding is that there are problems getting the diesel engine to fire up as quickly as a petrol engine as frequently as is required in a hybrid. Then there is the smog reduction techonology which is more complicated and expensive than on a petrol or hybrid car. All this is adding cost.

I could be wrong though. :confused:

1 person likes this.
  20. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    VW already got a diesel Vw Golf hybrid years ago

the report was that the more expensif diesel and hybrid togheter was a big problem to build a good priced car

also the diesel would cool down faster and because it needs good opr temp to have "better" emisions.

toyota desided to make a car thats not good on your money with saving fuel but making a clean car and then a ice will be better then a diesel

i also do not like that people call the commen rail last generation diesels "clean diesel" its just that in the US these cars are something new ( over here in the EU those are already on the road for some time and nothing special and also do NOT get any credit for being "clean" just cleaner then a normal diesel )
    its not clean just like the prius is also not clean but these newer diesels are cleaner then the older one's
    and i still prefer the petrol ice, when i am on my bike.