1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Filing Question

Discussion in 'Prius Tax Credit Discussion' started by kmedic, Feb 27, 2007.

1. kmedic

kmedic New Member

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but along with the 8910 and 6251, what other documents do I need to send to the IRS regarding my Prius tax credit?

Do I need to send a copy of my sales receipt with these forms to prove that I bought the car?

Thanks!

2. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Going from memory ... those are the only two pieces of paper (8910 & 6251) related to the hybrid tax credit. If you get audited, the IRS will surely want to see your receipt.

3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kmedic @ Feb 27 2007, 11:44 AM) [snapback]397226[/snapback]</div>
    Welcome to the site. The IRS requires no documentation. There are several existing threads should you want to join the (at times heated) discussion. If you have credits on lines 47-55 don't expect the full credit. Some have found the extra forms confusing. www.taxact.com offers free Federal filing and IMO did a pretty good job of completing the return. I had no problems with mine but did experience some difficulty with Mother's Schedule A. I don't know if the problem was in the software or if I entered amounts in inappropriate prompts. Good luck.

4. kmedic

kmedic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimN @ Feb 27 2007, 09:38 PM) [snapback]397590[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you. I actually don't have any other tax credits and my income (combined with my wife) is less than $90K. So, even after filling out the 6251, I will be receiving the full tax credit for my Prius.