1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FILLING GAS TANK

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jdfoster, Jun 5, 2005.

1. jdfoster

jdfoster New Member

ORIGINALLY I WROTE THAT I COULD NOT GET THE TANK FULL . THE ONLY WAY WAS TO BARELY SQUEEZE THE HANDLE AND THEN IT BELCHES GAS OUT. THIS MAKES A LARGE MESS AND IS QUITE UNSAFE. I AM STILLING HAVING PROBLEMS GETTING OUR 05 TO FILL UP.I HAVE TRYED 3 DIFFERENT STATIONS WITH THE SAME RESULTS. ITS ALMOST LIKE IT CANT GET RID OF THE AIR AS ITS FILLING UP. THE BELCHING PROBABLY LAST ABOUT A MINUTE OR TWO. I WAS FILLING UP AT A ARCO THIS TIME AND A FELLOW FROM ARIZONA STOPPED IN WITH HIS PRIUS. HE SAID HE WAS HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH GAS MAKING A BIG MESS AND GETTING ON YOUR CLOTHES. IS ANY ONE ELSE HAVING PROBLEMS. DO YOU KNOW OF A FIX OTHER THEN WAVING A DEAD CHICKEN OVER MY HEAD WHILE I FILL UP. THANKS AGAIN JIM

2. AfonsoSilva

AfonsoSilva New Member

How many gallons can you get in? I had my first fill-up today of an almost empty tank and it took 9.971 gallons after 3 clicks, with the first click of the pump at 9.5 gallons.

Are you trying to over-fill?

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Please do not use ALL CAPS! All caps are the electronic equivalent of shouting at the recipient. It is rude as well as hard to read.

Thank you.

4. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I to have run into this from time to time while filling new ones at PDI.. I have found out that if you just slightly squeeze the nozzle,left off, then it will take the fuel if you just gradually squeeze the nozzle to full open. Has worked for me when needed :wink: .

5. jdfoster

jdfoster New Member

Sorry about the caps and shouting. It usually shuts off at 2 to 3 gallons then I have to hand fill it. Thanks for the response Jim

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You pump 2 gallons then it shuts off? Are you filling from an empty tank?

Try putting the nozzle in halfway rather than all the way in. That may help.

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you running the pump at full speed? If so, try setting the pump handle to one notch below maximum.

And, assuming that this works, don't try to top off after the pump stops.

8. vprius

vprius New Member

I'm having the same problem. Pump keeps clicking off. The only way I can fill it is to hand fill it by trickling in the gas, which is time consuming. The nozzle fits very snugly in the filler neck, so maybe it is creating pressure?

I have tried different pumps at the same station, but I guess I need to try somewhere else. The station I usually use does not have the rubber seals on the pump nozzles (most pumps in CA have these)

I described this problem in the overflow thread. Hadn't seen this topic yet, which is more appropriate to my problem.

9. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have experienced this problem the last two fill ups. My commute is exceedingly short and as such I don't visit the pumps very often. I'm also inclined to be very cautious about how far down I let my gage go. I usually end up refilling at about 2 bars. However, it seems to me that when the pump clicks off I'm really not filled up. And so I trickle fuel in, and I have this suspicion that I'm really just filling up the neck of the tank, which is not a good thing.

I typically run the filler on the lowest flow notch when I'm filling up, just to be careful and to give the bladder as much time as possible to expand. Maybe I should increase the flow rate to the next notch up?

I usually use a Costco station, however I do Safeway fuel also. I haven't had a chance to try Safeway fuel in a while, I'm saving pennies on gas, it is a bit more expensive than Costco fuel.

Any ideas?

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually go full blast for the bottom half then half that speed as I go past the halfway pt (e.g. 45 litre tank minus 10 litre reserve = 35. 35/2 = 17.5. So around 17.5 litres, I'll slow the pump down)

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have never spilled gas when filling, never top off and get good range between fillups.

what i do. i only get gas at one of two stations
    they all have the vapor recovery flange with rubber ring that fits very snugly. i shove the nozzle in as far as i can to keep gas from leaking out should it attempt to do so.

i fill at the max rate for the first 5-7 gallons then slowly taper off until im at the slowest rate when it clicks off. i always run to the nearest quarter and stop.

now is it full full? probably not. the last tank i got, i put in over 10 gallons for the first time ever (10.074 gallons) but only because i violated my own filling rules. the pump stopped at about 9.5 gallons. i was so close to 10 i just had to go for it. plus i was surprised that i didnt get more in considering my 600+ mile tank. so i put in another 80¢ worth.

there was one time when the pump shut off at about 4-5 gallons and i knew it wasnt full. i ended up clunking the last $10 in 5-10¢ bursts. took at least 5 mins and i was fuming by the time i was done. there was a guy with a GMC pickup who was putting in gas in his truck watching me. when i was done, he told me that my return was probably full and that just holding the nozzle up in the air will help unclog it and it will run better.

as i drove off i wondered why he sat there watching me fight the nozzle without saying anything. then i realized that after all that hassle, i was leaving while he was still pumping gas. that gave me a very good laugh

12. John CCP

John CCP New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdfoster @ Jun 5 2005, 07:22 PM) [snapback]95835[/snapback]</div>

13. John CCP

John CCP New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had an unpleasant experience a few days ago: In an effort to reduce the amount of air pumped in with the gas, I tried squeezing the handle as little as possible. I wasn't surprised that it took a lot longer than usual to fill the tank, but the nozzle never clicked off and gasoline poured out of the filling spout until I released the handle. The sales slip recorded 11.861 gallons of gas. The gauge was on the last square when I drove in. I know the tank doesn't hold that much, but not that much spilled either. The filler tube was totally full and even rocking the car didn't release many bubbles. I suppose the lesson to be learned is to use a middle filling speed, so the nozzle will kick off and save spilling gas!

14. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I had this same problem with my first tank. Darn thing puked fuel all over me! Now I just remove the nozzle and hold it close to the filler and then finish filling up. I always get 10+ gallons in. The problem is there is little or no vent to the fuel tank in the Prius. Thats why you hear the air trying to rush out between the nozzle and filler if you fill it too fast. If that does happen leave the nozzle in till the air escapes and the pressure in the tank and outside equalize or your going to get a fuel bath!