1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Filling the gas tank

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Mary Snyder, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Mary Snyder

Mary Snyder New Member

Has anybody know what it's like to fill the gas tank? I haven't tried it yet as I just got the car. Is there a method you use and where to you go to get the right size pump? I would appreciate any information. As I have heard of some problems by a couple of Prius posters.
    Sincerely,
    Mary

2. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Fill the car like any other car. I believe the problems you are hearing are from those that have filled the tank when the fuel nozzle shutoff valve had problems.

3. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And just use the cheap regular unleaded 87 octane. You don't need a fancy mix. The car also doesn't like to get totally empty. When I get down to one square and refill, I'm usually only adding 8-9 gallons. And filling my tank for under $20. Woo-Hoo!

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The tank contains a bladder, the function is to keep out air and reduce pollution through evaporation. Sometimes if you try to top off the tank it will burp or gurgle and gas will splash back out. This seems to happen because the bladder expands when you put gas in and sometimes it contracts a bit when it gets full. I think it is worse on new cars and in cold weather.

If you don't try to top it off clear to the top you will have no problems. Also, rarely, the sensor on the nozzle won't let you put in but a splash at a time then it shuts off. That has not happened to me but others have said when it does you just need to find a different pump.

5. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The bladder results in two things: first, the volume of your tank isn't constant, so don't expect it to be. it can vary by as much as a whole gallon when it gets really cold outside. Second, the back pressure it creates means that the car is extra sensitive to poor performing pumps. if the shutoff valve on a pump is broken or defective, it might still pump for many cars, but just shut off a little early, so most people won't notice it. with the Prius, however, it'll shut off almost instantly. The best advice is to just pull around to another pump and go from there.

6. mini2prius

mini2prius Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Masnyd @ Dec 6 2006, 05:47 AM) [snapback]358666[/snapback]</div>

I've had my '06 since January, have 20K miles on it, and _STILL_ don't know what its like to "fill" the gas tank - the most I can get in is about 10 gallons or so! B)

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "right size pump" ?? If the nozzle doesn't go into the smaller
    level of hole, you're at the diesel pump which is definitely a
    mistake. People have done this and somehow managed to fill the
    tank, which of course requires the entire fuel system to be taken
    apart and cleaned out and often have parts replaced.
    _H*