1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Filling the tank...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by McGiffin, Nov 30, 2005.

1. McGiffin

McGiffin New Member

I've had my 2005 for a couple weeks now, and tried to fill up the other day. It kept tripping the nozzle shut off, when I knew the tank wasn't full (it added about 7 gallons when the guage was on the last bar). I tried to "top it off", but I'd only get a couple cents worth of gas each time before the nozzle shut off. Kind of irritating.

After driving about 25 miles(post-fillup), the gas guage dropped to 1 bar from full, so I know it didn't fill.

What's the trick to "filling" the tank?

TIA.
    Bill

2. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Bill

Try searching on "bladder" or "tank" in PriusChat. This subject has been extensively discussed for month after month. Some of the comments will no doubt be informative for you.

This is a well known peculiarity of the Prius caused by the fuel tank bladder.

3. McGiffin

McGiffin New Member

Thanks Charles! I tried searching on GAS and Tank, but no luck. I figured it must have been discussed already.

4. CedricMordrin

CedricMordrin New Member

What are the temps in your area like?
    I've only had mine two weeks now, and I have filled it up once, was down 6bars and was able to put in 7.64gal. It was about 80 degrees F here when I did that. From my understanding the bladder is somewhat sensitive to temp, not wanting to expand as much in cooler weather.

5. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The bladder is pretty sensitive to temperatures. In warm weather it is fairly pliable and will expand to its full capacity pretty easily. In the winter it tends to not want to expand and as such makes filling the car up a bit difficult.

Try filling the vehicle more slowly to allow time for the bladder to expand with the additional volume of fuel you are pouring in.

6. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup, it's getting cold out. Don't worry about it.

7. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Our FAQ on this.

8. Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i have had my new pri since mid october.......i have never had any problem with the gas bladder.. but then i do live in so fla......& the temp here is warmer
    i usually fill my tank up once a week.......(at about $7.50!) at the cooler part of the day..
    my gas tank never goes b4 3/4 tank

the most i have filled up my tank was the 1st one.......driving from north palm beach to miami from the dealership.......i think then i added about $14 ....at about 1/2 tank

i'm pretty impressed still.......& the love relationship continues~ :rolleyes:

9. Stevep

Stevep Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have filled up about 4 times. and find that if you fill up slowly, there will be no problem. I have averaged about 54 MPG, and the computer agrees with figuring the mileage manualy

10. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

Despite all the information on here - I'm still struggling with this. It's cold here in MN and I rarely can get the tank full. Lots of time, the last bar disappears within a couple of miles. So I share your pain!

11. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dude join the club, you are likely to be way colder that I am, even if we do have snow right now (run and hide run and hide). OK we get just a little phrenic when there is one inch of snow around here. Yeah, Yeah, Yeah I know that is not much, but remember we use the God method of snow removal. That is God put it there and God will take it away. More the half the people around here can't drive in any snow at all.