1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Filling up gas

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gqscientist, Sep 6, 2006.

1. gqscientist

gqscientist New Member

When I first got my 06, the initial fill-ups were odd....would only fill 1/2 tank. But the last 6 months I have had no problems. I normally fill up when on "E", around 10gallons. I recently filled up on "E" and filled up 11.5gallons. I didnt even know the tank/bladder could hold that much. I know you are supposed to fill up early mornings/late night because of temperature (more gas bang/buck), but that much?

Also, I have been averaging 45-50mpg with hard freeway/roaddriving, but now that temp has been hot last few months in S. Cali, I have been blasting my AC...getting about 40-43mgp. I did get my windows tinted and do have white exterior, but hopefully it cools down so I can get better mpg

your thoughts?

2. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Your tank holds 11.9 gallons, and you've simply been using more gas than usual due to the A/C working harder.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gqscientist @ Sep 6 2006, 12:20 PM) [snapback]315265[/snapback]</div>
    This is due to expansion of gas when it's warmer. however, 10 gallons warm is the same as 10 gallons cold, coming out of the pump. the difference occurs when you equalize the temperatures of the two, you'll see the cold level rise above 10 gallons, and the warm level go below 10 gallons. Thats why you're supposed to fill up in the mornings, because you're betting more potential energy for the 10 gallons you're buying.

And i'd say your mileage with the AC on versus off is probably what most people get. Up here in MN, we usually only need AC for one or two weeks each summer, and even then i'm usually willing to sweat, so i couldn't really tell ya the impact.

4. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The fuel bladder supposedly holds a max. of 11.9 gallons, but I've never pumped more than 9.5 gallons when on the last solid fuel bar remaining on the guess gage. I've never gotten to a blinking bar or had an "add fuel" notice pop up on my dash of mfd either. I usually fuel up either midday or sometime in the afternoon/early evening, depending on what is more convenient for me. I've been using the A/C every day for the last 2 months (it's been a warm one here in SoCal!) and can't say I've noticed much of a decline in my mpg readouts; maybe at the most I'm getting 0.5-1.0 less mpg per tank than I was during the spring months where I didn't use the A/C at all. My overall average went down from 48.0 to 47.8 over the course of 6-7 tanks, pretty negligible IMO. :)