1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Filling Up: Is it the station, my technique, or the time of day?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TooFolkGR, Jun 12, 2007.

1. TooFolkGR

TooFolkGR New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey all... first time poster. I read quite a bit on these boards before I finally bought my Prius last week, a 2007 Base model, seaside pearl in color. So far I'm loving every minute of it.

However, like many people here have mentioned.. I'm not seeing a lot of... consistency when I refill it. I've filled up three times in the first 1500 miles or so, with mixed results.

The first fillup I was at one pip, not flashing. I pulled into a gas station and it would only take five gallons. I knew that wasn't nearly enough, so I waited 30 seconds or so, and tried to put some more in. It just kept stopping immediatel, taking almost no fuel. I didn't want to damage anything, so I gave up and just drove for a bit longer. After about 50 miles I came to $3.05 gas (a really low price at the time) so decided I should try to fill up there. Sure enough, the Prius took a full tank. I didn't try to top it off, but I was able to put at least five more gallons in, and I'm confident that it was "full."

Yesterday I stopped at Costco to fill up and had a similar experience to the first time. I was at one pip, and it only took 4-5 gallons. I was so frustrated I stuck around and "topped off" with incremental tic-tic-tics until I got 4 more gallons in. That got me to full pips but I'm sure the tank isn't truly full.

Is there any concensus as to what the biggest factor is here? Should I just shop around until i find a station whose pumps can reliably fill it? Is there some technique I shoudl be using? Or is this more or less something random I'll have to deal with? I love the car and this isn't a dealbreaker, but it seems odd to me that a car whose fuel economy is its biggest charm should be so frustrating to refuel.

I did search the forums and could not find any real agreement on this. Thanks for any tips.

-Adam

2. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey Adam,

Congrats on the new car.

I believe the refueling issue arises with the speed at which fuel is being put in the tank. The nozzle on the Prius is fairly well sealed, as you've probably noticed. If the tank is filling too fast, the air cannot escape quickly enough and ends up shutting off the gas pump.

You'll probably have much less eventful fillups if you fill the tank more slowly. I use the first notch on the handle. It doesn't take too long...it's a small tank.

Have fun,

Eric

3. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I agree with tanglefoot. I'll pump at the slowest setting until it shuts off. I'll ten remove the nozzle for about 10 seconds and put it back in just a tad. I'll top it off, and continue on my way having spent under $30 for the next 500+ miles. :D

I also go to the same stations (I have three that I regularly fill at). I try to get the same pump at each station too.

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The easiest answer, if you have nearly the same commute, is to fill up at the station or pump that works the best. Seriously, as a 90 mile a day commuter I alternate between the neighborhood Shell and Costco, and have never had filling issues. I use the automatic fill on the fastest setting. 90% of my gas is purchased at these two stations, and I never see the problem. If you have good luck at a particular station, stick with it. I think it is more of an individual pump feed problem, than a Prius problem. People who drive Priuses obsess over every drop of gas, and it seems to exagerate whatever filling problems arise.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The best advice about fill-ups is to stop worrying about consistency. You're not going to get it with a Prius, at least not with the U.S. version. Put the nozzle in all the way, set it on its lowest speed, and wait for it to click off (doesn't take long with a Prius!) When it clicks off, you are done. No fuss, no worries, just close up the filler and walk away. :)

Tom

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Adam, sounds like you are running into pump problems. Fill slow and stay by the tank just in case the pump doesn't shut off. Shell's MasterCard gives a 5% rebate which is automatically applied next month on Shell purchases.