1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Filter prices dropping

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Dec 17, 2010.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone noted that filter prices have dropped significantly in the past year or so....Not only for my Prius, but also for other vehicles "in my family."

Example -- The $24 cabin filter is now being sold by NAPA for $8. Oil filter, which was around $5 a couple of years ago is now around $2.50. The Prius oil filter fits pretty much all Toyotas, not just the Prius...

The parts guys said that lots of DIY parts have come down "because of the economy."

Don't know, but it made me happy this morning....Now if the dense fog would clear and temps would raise above 31 I might just go out and install them...:p

1 person likes this.
  2. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah I was surprised recently with the deal I got on Mobile 1 oil too.

- D

3. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Been a lot of specials on motor oil, definitely -- but I buy DINO brands. Now if gasoline and tire prices would follow suit.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the tip on the Napa cabin filter. Unfortunately, I think the tire prices will follow the gasoline prices upward - the manufacturing of the tires uses a fair amount of dino juice.

5. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, just bought the engine air filter and three oil filters at Napa (ProSelect line) for $17 and some change.

The engine air filter was $9 something and the oil filters were just over $2 each.

Back a few years ago the exact same filters would have been around $40 IIRC.

Of course, having no sales tax helps.

6. WolfB

WolfB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just ordered an ATP brand cabin air filter (part # CF 49) from Rockauto.com for $9.06/each (plus $8.30 in shipping when I ordered 4). No Tax. Toyota OEM at my local dealer was $20! The ATP version looks like it will be perfectly adequate. Rockauto carries even less expensive alternatives but I thought the ATP was a reasonable balance between value and quality.

7. WolfB

WolfB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Engine Air Filter for Prius II - Brand: Fram Part #: CA10159 $7.13 each (4 x $7.13 = $28.52 plus $8.30 shipping, no tax) from Rockauto.com My local Toyota dealer charges $20.99 for the OEM version. The Fram one certainly looks (from the picture) like its similar quality to the OEM version. And Fram is a quality brand name. Rockauto.com even offers less expensive brands but I thought Fram was a good balance between quality and value

8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I paid 13.50 for the engine air filter and 15.00 for the cabin air filter from a Toyota parts wholesaler. Considering that they are only replaced every 15k, it is worth a few dollars more for higher quality parts.