1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally a new owner!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Luis138, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Luis138

Luis138 Angel Rat

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So after two years of joining this forum I finally became a Prius owner. On the 21st I got my car.

It was quite an odissey to get it though. We went into our regular dealer. We asked for the two salesmen who have helped us with all our cars we have owned (all Toyotas). One was on vacation and the other had the day off, doh!! As we (my father and I, I always take him with me to negotiate cars) were leaving this salesman came to us and said that he works in conjunction with one of the two we had asked for. He would give us the same quality of service we are accostumed to.

Well, the other salesman showed up, he said he had an appointment with a client so he went in on his day off. I don't know if this upset the one that was helping us or what the deal was but he was not willing to negotiate one cent. I told him take out offer to your manager, so did our salesman and he said no, it doesn't even warrant me going over there. I said I want to buy it here but I know if I go to any other dealer they will accept my offer. He said then buy it there. Needless to say, we left. I was too upset to even look for our regular guy. I should had.

We went to another dealer, I walked in and told them this is what I want. He said, if I make it happen, will you take the car today? Excellent, that is what I wanted to hear. A couple of hours later I was driving off the lot with my Prius. The only thing is that they only had about 12 cars on the lot, two silver and 10 blizzards. The silvers were model V, about $8,000 more that what my budget was able to afford. So I ended up getting a blizzard which was my third choice as far as colors go. I just wanted my car right there and then that I was not willing to wait for them to get their new stock in; a couple of weeks I was told. I don't regret it though, the more I look at my blizzard the more I love it. I had the windows tinted dark and it looks just awesome.

Of course, driving home from the dealer (about a 3 minute drive) I get a flat tire. At first I though that it was just low on air, in a few hours it was completely flat. I had to put the spare to go back to the dealer. The tire had the biggest screw ever. The dealer said that it is not covered by warranty but since it is such a new car they will repair it for free; not the hubcap though which got a tiny crack. A new hubcap costs $70ish, for that price I will pretend it is not there. It is just heart breaking (for me at least) to have that on a car that is less than a day old.

Well, almost a week later and I love my car more and more each day. All my cars have been brand new but I have never worried about learning about them. This time is different. I am interested in detailing, mods, etc, etc. I want to be driving it constantly. I am pretty sure eventually it might get old but in the meantime I am becoming a Priusholic. :eek:

A few questions I have:

1) When I got it off the dealer it said something about 620ish miles left for the tank. Now it says about 420ish yet I only have 100 miles on the car, I received the car with 4 miles. What happened with the other miles? Am I doing something wrong when I am driving that it is causing the mileage per tank to go down?

2) If I buy the Prius rear bumper applique, is it the same exact look as getting it from factory? I saw a car on the street that had it on but it didn't look quite "invisible". The car was also a blizzard but it was dirty so it had a dirt " frame" around the applique making it even more noticeable.

3) I have never, ever done any car maintenance. Besides fueling and driving I am totally automobile ignorant. Replacing the tire was my first time doing that. I am glad I was able to do it :redface:. If I buy the lighted door sills, would I be taking a huge task by even daring to think it would be something I might be able to install without messing something up or finishing with some spare parts left?

4) Does the battery charge level graphic ever show a full battery? Mine has only shown a partially charged battery, about one bar left to fully charge.

5) What are the benefits of modding the interior light to led?

6) I want a shark fin antenna but I see more decreased reception reviews than anything. Should I stay away from them?

Well, thank you to all of you that took the time to read this; here is a picture of my baby :p.

Luis

[​IMG]

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for sharing and keep sharing. :)

3. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Welcome to the Priuschat. Some really nice people here.

Sweet car. Suggestion - Get rid of the plastic wheel covers, add some wheel caps and it will be a REALLY sweet car.

Q & A:
    1) No
    2) No comment (NC)
    3) NC
    3a) Normal
    4) NC
    5) You answered your own question

1 person likes this.
  4. Chola2004

Chola2004 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there. As a new owner I was Googling Prius to see if others found the reverse beep a bit annoying and i found this site. I like the car a lot, had a 4 x 4 before but was conscious that I didn't really need it. Anybody know anything about ow to turn off the reverse beep?

5. socratesthecabdriver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    kalotaxidos!!! that means , may you have god travellings with the new car in greek!

6. Luis138

Luis138 Angel Rat

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As far as I have learned, here in the States you have to take it back to the dealer. They have to do a software update. I don't know if in Europe is any different.

Luis

7. Luis138

Luis138 Angel Rat

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, suggestions and language lessons.

Luis

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congratulations! i love blizzard white. you're baby is beautiful!
    1) the computer bases miles left on your fuel consumption. ig nore it until you learn more.
    2)start with easy mods and work your way up, don't be in a rush to do it al at once.
    3) great story, sorry about the tire, that's crazy.
    4) all the best!;)

9. F512M

F512M Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congrats on your new pearl white Prius. It's a beautiful color.

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Take it back to your dealer and ask them nicely if they can disable the reversing beep. They just plug their computer into the car and switch it off. It will still beep once when you engage reverse but that's much nicer than the beeps.

The above is what I did and my dealer didn't charge. Might be best checking they wont charge first before you get the work done, otherwise wait until your service.

11. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Welcome to PriusChat!

12. Luis138

Luis138 Angel Rat

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I have owned "Cosme" for 16 days; two days ago I washed and waxed him for the first time. On Fstr911's advice I did remove the plastic wheel covers and added some wheel caps. It looks like a total different car. I love it. Thank you so much for the tip.

Right now I am using the Knockout seal for an electrical box cover that theloops82 suggested in his thread. For $0.80 cents each they look great. I want to order the Toyota ones but I am trying to see them in person before I decide which one I like of the two models.

Here are some updated pictures of my Prius Cosme.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luis