1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally, a real road trip after 6.5 months with 2007

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by NoMoShocks, Aug 10, 2007.

1. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is what I have been waiting for. We are going to Sacramento for a Family Reunion, and have convinced the better half that we can go in our Prius to use less than half the gas of our Dodge Grand Caravan.

Now I have been Mapquesting for the lowest Shell gas prices along I5.
    Mapquest has a link to the Gas Temperature Map on GasBuddy.com, that I really like. You can look at a map of US, see lower gas prices as yellow or green shaded areas and then zoom in on the map for specific recent price reports by brand with service station addresses.

I hope to average about 45 MPG and have planned feuling in Medford and Sacramento.

Camas, WA (near Portland, OR) to Medford, OR = 296 miles.
    Shell in Medford $2.739 per gallon
    Hopefully about 6.6 gallons = $18.08

Medford, OR to Sacramento, CA = 318 miles.
    Shell in Sacramento $2.799 per gallon
    Hopefully about 7.1 gallons = $19.87

Wish me luck, I'll let you know what really happens upon my return on Monday.

Uh Oh, I had Edit this to add "h" in "Shell". I sounded like I planned to Sell my car at each feuling stop and then I don't know, I guess buy a new one?

Gas Price Map
    [attachmentid=10504]
    Close Up Southern Oregon
    [attachmentid=10505]
    Zoom In Medford, OR Service Station Detail
    [attachmentid=10506]

Attached Files:

2. noelty

noelty Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Aug 9 2007, 10:05 PM) [snapback]493412[/snapback]</div>
    Good Luck!

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    We did the same trip in the opposite direction back in June. We averaged about 48 -49 mpg @ 65mph. Crosswinds lowered the mileage some. I had to pay more for fuel; $2.99 at a couple of different stations in Oregon.

4. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

5. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Aug 10 2007, 09:00 AM) [snapback]493549[/snapback]</div>
    The first place I got gas in OR was in Ashland, at a Unocal station just off the freeway. Yes, I forgot that you can't pump your own gas in Oregon until the guy came out, but he was pretty quick, because I didn't even have time to get out of the car.

The other two places that I got gas were at an independent station between Portland and Astoria along the Columbia River, and at another independent station in Florence.

Our trip was from Sac to Portland straight up I5, then north to Astoria, then down the coast to Florence, and then back to Eugene and south back to Sac. We took a week for the trip. My GF has fantasies that we will buy property on the Oregon coast. Its not very likely.

I was actually a little bummed that we didn't get 50+ because on a previous trip from Sac to Fort Bragg and back we averaged over 50. But the speeds thru the Napa valley were between 45 - 55 because of traffic and the winds were not as strong.

6. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Aug 10 2007, 09:44 AM) [snapback]493592[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds like you had time to visit the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport, a few lighthouses and maybe even the Sea Lion Caves. I wish we had time to do your trip backwards. We were supposed to leave this morning at 8AM, but the Balls and Chains won't be quite ready for at least a couple more minutes. Nonetheless, I must get off the internet and start trying harder to heard them out to the driveway.

Like the Smile on that cute doggy. :p

7. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You sure should be able to get 50 mpg. We just got that on our x-country trip, and that was with four people, all the camping gear, and roof rack. We chose to drive 60 mph most of the way. If you do that and have your tires at 44/42 you should be able to get close to 60 mpg.

PA P

8. ohershey

ohershey New Member

If you're a railroad fan, be sure to check out the railroad museum. The good news is that it isn't too hot today, so maybe it will stay in the liveable (below 100 F) range for the weekend....

9. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA Prius @ Aug 10 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]493668[/snapback]</div>
    You are absolutely right.
    I planned to go right at the speed limit of 65 MPH, but I just couldn't. Doing a fairly constant 73+ or -, I did get 50 MPH through the whole Willamet Vally. When I got into the passess of Southern Oregon and Northern Cal Sickals, it droped to 42, but right back to 50 again Redding to Sacremento, where the limit is 70, so I kept a pretty constant 75 at 50 MPG.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mad Hatter @ Aug 10 2007, 04:16 PM) [snapback]493746[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I am a railroad fan from heredity. My father had a model railroad that filled a 20 by 30 attic, but it never was completed. It would have rivaled Portlands Columbia Gorge Railroad Club layout (correct name??) if he had ever finished it

I have visited the Sacramento Railroad museum, but it has been probably ten year ago. I am overdue for another visit, but probably cannot make it back this trip.

Actually, I ma ni Folsum, but not at the prison, and my Cousin in Law has introduced me to his IMac. I may be considering one for my next computer for video editing, so he let me try his out. Coincidently, he workd for Apple just south of Sacramento in Elk Grove.

10. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just made a similar trip from Sacramento to Vancouver BC. and my ovrall average would likely be about 47mpg. I hit a few stints with 49mpg then a couple at 46mpg.

60mpg is a complete pipe dream in my car though. Maybe some stockers can do it but no way in hell I can do it in mine and still be sane by the end of the trip. lol