1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally a sunroof perfect for the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by seakykr, Oct 5, 2006.

1. seakykr

seakykr Ugly Betty is her name.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I spotted a 2007 Nissan Maxima at a dealership recently while hunting for the 2007 Prius I just bought and noticed it's innovative sunroof design, which Nissan calls a "SkyView Glass-paneled Roof." With it's narrow design going right down the middle of the roof, wouldn't it be the perfect design for the Prius and one that wouldn't interfere with the Prius's concave (convex?) roof shape? What do you think:

[​IMG]

And from the inside:

[​IMG]

Couldn't this puppy be installed right down the center of a Prius. I think I'd pay for something like that. Sunroof down the center, and a solar panel to each side of it.

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it looks pretty cool! I wonder if it might have negative effects on the structure of the car, though...and if that Maxima has any additional chassis bracing to offset this.

Also, concerned that tall, somewhat under-tired cars like our fair Prii might not be the cest candidates for adding significant weight that far above the CG.

3. sbritt

sbritt New Member

Yes, I like that design.

4. cagemo

cagemo Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If I really wanted a sunroof, I'd go with a more traditional one and just accept the MPG hit. I shopped a used Prius that had an aftermarket sunroof, and it was nice. The previous owner had it done somewhere around Los Angeles. Looked just like this.

5. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seakykr @ Oct 5 2006, 07:03 PM) [snapback]328690[/snapback]</div>
    I like it. Does that open, though, or is it just fixed panels of glass?

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They're fixed panels and come standard on the Maxima. A traditional moonroof is optional.

That's not a bad idea for adding light to the interior.

7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 7 2006, 01:46 AM) [snapback]329360[/snapback]</div>
    It seems like something like could be done without compromising the integrity of the structure of the car, especially if it doesn't need room to slide open etc. Perhaps a triangular window in the roof to mimic the shape of the little front side windows? Anybody had the headliner out and know what structure there is in there?