1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally Able to Test Drive a Touring model

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Husker4theSpurs, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First I took a spin in a regular Pkg #6 ... averaged 54mpg on an 8 mile trip, where I never went faster than 59mph or so. Then I took the Touring for a spin and immediately felt the difference ... I'm not saying it's a HUGE difference, but I could tell right away. It felt more solid overall and more grounded, but wasn't jarring or the like. Again, not saying it's a HUGE difference, but it just felt like it "floated" less. Definitely less lean imho.

I made an effort to drive normal and not maximize my driving for fuel economy and I achieved just over 40mpg ... to be fair the Touring was cold (the base Pkg 6 wasn't) and my drive was shorter, so that's part of it.

Surprisingly the cloth seats felt more comfortable to me, but I think it was just b/c I had windpants on and felt a little slick on the leather. I am leaning towards a black Touring, Pkg 6 ... like the idea of the leather for cleaning and overall, plus the leather on the arm rests since I've seen some ratty looking cloth armrests out there.

Another bonus ... my girlfriend didn't hate the car as much as she thought she would :) She dislikes the exterior greatly (I used to as well), but I think she was impressed by the interior room and tech features. She had some pre-conceived notions. Plus, with the Touring and black exterior the car looks at least a LITTLE sportier :)

The lack of adjustments for the seat is the only issue for me now ... I didn't mind the non-telescoping steering wheel this time around. I'm also a little leery of a possible model change for 2009, but from all I can tell only a mild re-fresh will occur and then an ALL NEW model in 2010. We change cars pretty often (financially stupid), so that's not so big of a deal I guess.

Opinions on cloth vs leather (sorry I know they're all over on here) and has anyone put in seat heaters aftermarket?

Thanks all! I'm probably going to buy mid-winterish, so we'll see what they're going for around then.

2. lgamber1

lgamber1 New Member

i've had my 2008 prius for about 3 weeks, and i am really glad we went for the leather. we were originally trying to get a package 5--my husband and i are both vegetarians, but he is really adamant about wearing no leather products (shoes, belts, etc.), so naturally he didn't want the leather seats.

apparently the package 5 is really hard to get in this area, so i advocated for the package 6 and won out. i just think that from a maintenance/cleaning standpoint that they will be more practical. i, too, thought the cloth seats were comfy, but in the end, i love the leather.

i also really like the feel of the steering wheel in the package 6, and as i rest my elbow on the console all the time, i'm really glad it is leather, too!

3. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ Oct 5 2007, 11:36 AM) [snapback]521811[/snapback]</div>
    That's not part of it, that's ALL of it. Just wanted to clear that up for you.

4. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have also noticed that when I build a Prius on Toyota's website ... a Pkg #6 Touring is only $321 more than a Pkg #6 base Prius ... kind of strange ...