1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally achieved 55 LMPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by efusco, May 1, 2008.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My first year (Oct. '03-Sept. '04) with my Prius my MPG was just over 50mpg.
    My second and third year my MPG was right at 54mpg.
    My 4th year my MPG was nearly 60mpg!

And yet I languished with a LMPG around 54mpg....I really wanted to get it up to the original cumulative MPG rating for the Prius of 55. But as you all are aware the more miles you get the smaller affect each individual tank has on increasing that cumulative MPG.

But now, just over 1/2 way through my 5th year I've finally, with a 76.5mpg tank, exceeded the 55mpg barrier!!!

This isn't going to get me into the hypermiler ranks of some of you guys...I'm a slow learner! But still, I'm sure glad to see that LMPG = 55mpg number in my sig....finally.

I should mention, I'm just over 73,000 miles.

2. eco

eco Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Congrats on your 55mpg.. I just got my prius last week, still trying to learn how to drive it :pound:. I only avg 41 mpg so far :)

I <3 my prius!

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow!! Congrats!

My lifetime is nowhere near =(.

4. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Nice job reaching 55.
    45 my best so far. I keep trying. :)

5. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    hey people,

i am NO expert by far here, but with 3,800 miles on my new prius, and the help of efusco and morpheusx and others, i'm able to get 47-52mpg average now.

what i recommend is that you keep your eyes on the INFO and consumption screen - PLEASE PRACTICE SAFE DRIVING! driving on merely "feel" alone is NOT good enough. look at the mpg on the screen, as everyone has said here, accelerate briskly, then lift and get into the glide mode asap. that REALLY, REALLY HELPS. to clarify, "briskly" does NOT mean flooring the throttle, it just means to accelerate instead of the old fashioned way of driving a gas car. remember, we have a hybrid here, it's meant to be driven differently then a typical gas car.

for those who have the navi, unless you really need the screen, use the consumption screen instead, the navi will tell you verbally the directions, so you will still arrive to your destination.

in doing so, this practice has yielded me well, and i mean WELL over 50mpg on the freeways without holding anyone up, if they are that fast, i merely move over to a slower lane and let them by.

i can't wait until my new prius reaches 5,000 miles, i heard it even gets better!

flame on!

:flame:

6. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats! Hopefully next year you'll be at 65mpg or even 70 :)

---
    I recommend keeping a corner of your eye on the energy screen, just to see if your not quite in full glide mode (battery assisting) and feathering the pedal more to go to full glide (or shifting into neutral).

Whatever you do, do NOT sacrifice safety. A lifetime of 100mpg isn't going to pay you back if you wreck it (not to mention your insurance)...

7. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Congratulations! :rockon:

What took you so long? :bolt:

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Evan are you joking? I'd be partying hard if I had a 76.5MPG tank.
    I would rather celebrate the steps than reaching a level if you know what I mean. Great job olde son.

I don't even bother with lifetime, I bought the car to commute in town but it's more fuel efficient than any other car on the highway too so I use it and forget about the higher consumption on the highway. I only count city kilometres in my calculations.

76.5 miles per gallon tank WELL DONE EVAN!!!!

9. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had a previous 72.3 mpg tank, and this one the MFD read 71.0...I'm not sure why the calculated was so much different this tank as the CAN-View said I was 97% of capacity. I'm sure the next tank will balance this out.

10. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    well, i had 4 people in the car, air con ON all the way and was able to achieve a solid 53 mpg today. i'm happy.

again, keep a peripheral on the energy/consumption gauge and it will guide you to get the most efficient range.

one thing i am finding out, VERY different than driving my 06 STS, people out there do NOT seem to respect the prius. they think that our cars are slow turtles out there, always hypermiling. i've had to splurge and spend fuel getting out of the way of cars that cut me off like i'm invisible. when the batteries are fully charged, into the green mode, the prius is NOT a slouch.

i no longer fear bumper to bumper traffic jams, fully loaded and air on. it's a pleasure with this car.

cheers!

have a good weekend people:rolleyes:

11. nomad

nomad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Big congrats!!

I just finished my first tank, 47.44 MPG. I think I learned how to make improvements for tank #2. But a 70 nevermind 76.5 MPG tank seems out of reach for some time.

12. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Evan,
    Great post - congratulations on your LMPG of 55 and 76.5 MPG:hail: current tank. Are you kidding me - WOW! You and many of the other "veteran" Prius drivers taught and inspired the generations following you. We learned a lot from you folks - thank you very much.:thumb:
    Now how do we get those 70+ tanks???? :cheer2:

13. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Prius 07, that's the best picture of a Prius I've seen yet! Love it! Did you take that?

14. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks Chris - very kind. Yes I took that picture at my cottage last year.

15. sandman

sandman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    congratulations Efusco on your LMPG of 55 and 76.5 MPG:)

1. What type of tires are you using(make and size) ?
    2. What type of oil are you using(make and weight) ?

Thank you

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm on Michelin Hydroedge tires currently at 50psi all the way around. I'd been running 42f/40r up until about 6 months ago.
    I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5W20 and change it every 10k miles now.

17. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My LifetimeMPG is still at 53.2.

In some ways, I feel that those of us driving the '04 and '05s have a harder hill to climb since - in the early days - we literally had to figure it out ourselves. Mostly via Priuschat. No one taught us pulse-n-glide, we didn't know to block our grills, the scan gauge didn't exist. So we will continue to carry the baggage of the first couple years when we were doing what we could with what we had.

Congrats on the 55 LMPG average!:rockon:
    To address the fact that the LMPG doesn't move much anymore or reflect recently improved driving techniques, I started calculating the 12-month average. This idea originally started when I was talking with Justin Fons, who routinely turns in 100+MPG averages in his Honda Insight but averages something like 60LMPG because of his first year of carefree driving.

18. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congratulations!

The 55 Lifetime is a remarkable achievement, but I wonder if it doesn't pale in comparison to your numerous 70+ MPG tanks?

Winter just killed my average, but I'm on the rebound. My current tank is going to take me to my milestone of 50 LMPG. This is only based on 10,000 miles, but at least I've been tracking all of this time. I still haven't had a full tank ato 60+ MPG, so congrats on your high mileage!!

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Ok, here's me, green w/ envy AND exasperated :yuck: ... here I was, just going to post my once a year hypermile tankfull:

[​IMG]

. . . but just when you think you are real good, there's always someone better, waiting to knock you off your high horse. CONGRATULATIONS Evan !! :thumb: ... Damn You! The tankfull I'm just finishing off today, compared to yours, was totally put to shame. I am not worthy!

Kidding aside, my LMPG's are running about the same, but a few months behind yours ... but I'm only in the 60K total miles range, giving me a LMPG of 54.0 and with P & G the whole 19.5 mile one way trip to work? It takes way too long to get to work each day. 1/2 way there, after picking up the car pooler, it's up to freeway speed. Normally.

So the next 700 mile tankfull won't be 'till next May. You'll hear from me again in '09 ... so watch out ... I'm comin' after you !!

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    FIFTY POUNDS :eek:
    sheez allmighty! Any irregular wear on the outer treads (yet) ?
    Do you do your own oil changes? I've had some service shloemoes tell me they wouldn't put 10w-30 in at my request ... simply because primarily the book says 5w-30. (but the real reason is because of the profit margin on one type oil or the other, I'm certain). So even in the 90 degree summers you use the 10w-20? Too risky for me, but it'd likely help the mpg's.