1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

finally bit the bullet

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by geologyrox, Dec 20, 2005.

1. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

well, i guess that means i've made my decision - no nav option for me. I was pretty sure I couldn't convince myself to upgrade, but i did like bluetooth, so i was still in the game for a package 7 (no leather for me, thanks!)

i'd been researching aftermarket nav systems left and right recently - almost bought the quest, based on EXCELLENT reviews and some help from the folks here. I decided i didn't want the quest 2 (too many complaints over the original) and I didn't want the lack of updating they do on the original now.

after much deliberation, we bought a pair of garmin 2720s. while people who had the 2610s are kind of disappointed with the upgrade, people who have never had a nav system seem quite content. We could not bring ourselves to get the 2610s, though, since they are 'yesterdays' technology, and we would have only saved about $50 a unit on them. it would have been about $120 each to upgrade to the new 2730s, and since we don't intend to buy XM, and already have MP3 players, we decided it wasn't worth the difference.

We ended up spending less than $700 a unit, so i can feel warm and fuzzy about not upgrading to nav - i'm spending more on this car than i ever *thought* i'd spend on a car, so I feel like being frugal here helps balance it out =)

If any of you have the 2720, can you give me your thoughts/concerns? Thanks!

2. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a Streetpilot III from Garmin and have used the 2610 from Garmin. They all do a good job. Many people are picky in their comments. I am sure you will have many years of good service.

As for me, I am keeping my Streetpilot in our other car when my Prius gets here in January. Package #8. I decided to get the Nav built in because of one major reason. I felt compelled to take the GPS out of the car each time I wasn't using it. And, when parked at a destination I felt compelled to uninstall it and put it back in its travel bag. Why? I simply felt safer doing it that way. When someone sees this stand alone GPS it is crying out "steal me". I just didn't want to do that anymore. It was a personal decision. I have used the Streetpilot III for quite a few years and it really isn't all that bad of a procedure to install it each time I wanted to use it. Maybe I was getting lazy in my old age. hehe

Enjoy your GPS. It has proven to be a life saver many times for my wife and I. Taking it on vacation and driving through large cities makes the experience really less stressful.