1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally Did It ...

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by PiPLosAngeles, Aug 16, 2013.

1. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I finally made my entire morning commute (including 10 miles of freeway driving) on battery power alone.

[​IMG]

ewxlt66, retired4999, rogerv and 4 others like this.
  2. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Impressive!

What speed on the highway?

3. Rainking

Rainking Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    How the heck did you get 21 miles from a charge? Lots of downhill? Impressive!

4. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Highway speed about 57 mph.

It's downhill mostly, but barely. There are two steep uphill slopes I have to take at about 25 mph to avoid burning all my charge. The rest is about a 0.9% downhill grade (a 10-inch drop for every 100 feet). I have to pass through 26 traffic signals on the street portion of the commute.

5. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :eek: Thanks for that information. I can only get about 11 miles max. Now I feel like a nobody loser. My self esteem is shot.
    Congratulations on the excellent free mileage.:D

6. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    It's very dependent on all of the planets and stars lining up in addition to technique. If one extra traffic light had been red, or if traffic had been moving 5 mph faster on the street, I wouldn't have made it. When I first got the car I could barely go 10 miles on EV, but you learn how to massage the miles.

7. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    :cool:(y) AWESOME !!!

8. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When discussing how many miles one can get in EV, I think that it is not that meaningful unless one talks about a round trip, to cancel out any elevation difference between the start and end. If your destination is lower than your start point, of course you can get fantastic EV mileage on that trip!

markabele likes this.
  9. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Excellent! Gives the rest of us something to aim for- of course I have to wait about 3 weeks to get mine out of the body shop.:( And CharlesH is technically correct I guess:p , but still, if you are measuring the same trip you make every day, you have now set an admirable record. Congrats!!

lensovet likes this.
  10. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    The return trip does not "cancel" the effect of elevation. You will get less range going up and down an 8% hill than you will a 2% hill. The bottom line is that you can't directly compare any route against any other route because they're all different.

Even if the difference is 1 inch in 20 miles? That's still downhill.

11. shiranpuri

shiranpuri Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If only you could go downhill both ways...

12. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Indeed. At some point the slope becomes a fairly small factor. A 0.9% grade is less slope than your average rain gutter (which looks pretty level to the naked eye). In my particular case the record for round trip MPG stands at 108 MPG (2.17 L / 100 km). If I could charge at work I should be able to get about 15.8 miles on EV on the return if I directly convert the energy required for each leg of the trip. Assuming the two legs cancel out the effect of elevation, I would calculate a "flat" equivalent of about 18.4 miles in EV mode.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    avg speed around 35 mph? amazing!!! (y) what's the best you've done on your commute prior to this?

14. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Great to see you able to avoid starting the gas engine. Keep the momentum rolling. Going up steep hill from rest with the battery power would suck.

15. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Due to regeneration losses? In the ideal world we dealt with in physics classes, the steepness of the hill wouldn't matter, as long as you had enough battery capacity.

16. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That's a cool accomplishment. Even if the trip was completely downhill, it's still a trip. Of course if the trip were completely downhill, you'd have popped the lid on the battery capacity and had the gas engine pop on early on in the trip. I have the same trip every day, and I'm always amazed at how the littlest things can make a big difference in how far I can travel in pure EV.

17. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

In an ideal world all of our engines and regeneration are 100% efficient. The real-world problem is that the system isn't 100% efficient. For the sake of easy illustration consider the following two examples:
    1. A car takes 30 kW to travel up a 1-mile slope of 5% grade at 60 mph. That's 0.500 kWh to climb the hill. The car returns down that same hill with 40% regeneration efficiency, so generates about 0.144 kW/h. The net power required to make the 2-mile trip is 0.356 kWh for 2 miles, or 178 Wh/mile.
    2. A car takes 21 kW to travel up a 1-mile slope of 2.5% grade at 60 mph. That's 0.350 kWh to climb the hill. The car returns down that same hill with 40% regeneration efficiency, so generates about 0.061 kW/h. The net power required to make the 2-mile trip is 0.289 kWh for 2 miles, or 145 Wh/mile.
    Because the drive train isn't 100% efficient, the more power required to move, the more power is wasted. You'll notice that even if there was no regeneration on the second hill it would still be slightly more efficient than the first hill.

The laws of thermodynamics are a pain :)

3PriusMike and CharlesH like this.
  18. PiPLosAngeles

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    My "normal" is somewhere around 500 mpg, but can be as high as 600. I usually have to engage the ICE to climb the last steep hill without depleting all of my EV range prior to arriving at the office. If the ICE would supply full power the minute it started (instead of some weird EV-assist mode for the first minute or so), and if it would shut off as soon as I switched back to EV mode, I would regularly get better mileage.

19. jnet

jnet Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On average, PiP gets about 150 MPGe unless someone has access to free electricity. Are you saying you're getting free electricity?

20. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Where did the data for this average come from?