1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally figured out P&G, what a boost!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by F8L, May 14, 2008.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never really had the patience to work on the P&G technique but the other day I was bored and on my way to a friends and I decided to try driving at 25mph to see if I could reach the 100+mpg that I've seen portrayed in some graphs here on PC. I failed the 100+mpg technique because the car would not stay out of EV mode. I gave up and decided to start trying to P&G and after a few tries it was pretty easy yet a mind numbingly slow way to travel. :p

What I did find that is that after 15min or so I had 3 bars on the MDF that maxed out at "99.9"mpg. This also boosted my average mpg up pretty good so over the next few days I would drive like I normally do but toss in a few P&G sessions to bring the average back up to the high 50s or low 60s. It takes a bit of work but in short sessions it's kinda fun and it really kicks up the mpg average. I'm only going up to about 43mph and dropping to about 29mph before pulsing back up. This obviously only works on backroads or lonely city streets. Gliding really helps boost numbers in all other circumstances.

So for those who seem to be stuck in the 40s or have never experienced a 60mpg tank then this is one way you could break that streak. I'm not sure if this is how the pros do it routinely but it works for me and helps me keep my humbers high even when I have to do something crazy which would normally kill my milage like driving with the A/C on at 70mph or loading 6 people into the car with the A/C on and hitting the freeway. lol

2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've had a similar experience. Not only do I not really have the patience to develop a great P&G, I'm not certain there are many places I could use it. I still try, on occasion, when I'm out in the country with no one around (and no one else in the car), but those times seem so infrequent. I was able to work on it a couple of weeks ago, so that I boosted MPGs on a 300-mile day trip to nearly 62. Still, I had so much other travel interspersed in the day, and I took passengers on some short trips within that day. I can see that full P&G would give you incredibly high mileage, but it would mean some very long days of driving. (I know I don't have the patience to take 10 hours out of my day to drive 300 miles!)

Also, most of my driving is very short trips, and the trips are normally right around town. It is really a challenge at times to keep the MPGs in the mid-50s. I have to work at it (in non-Winter times) to get the MPGs below 50, but with a 4-mile commute my Summer MPGs will stay in the low- to mid-50s.

3. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I find it interesting that the 2 previous posters have great MPG in spite of not employing P&G much.

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I think that most city streets can utilize a form of this technique. I noticed that in the residential section of my town, or any town really, I accelerate from a stop sign or light, get up to speed then glide to the next stop sign. In these situations I am simply doing a P&G but from a dead stop which I'm sure is not as efficient but it's better than not gliding at all and I look forward to this particular part of my commute because I know it will boost my numbers. :)

I agree with you though, P&G takes a lot of patience. :) You're doing great with such a short commute!

5. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think it is just careful driving and clean living!

Because most of my driving is around town, I very infrequently drive more than 45-55 mph. I think a real sweet spot in mileage comes around 45, so I do well even though I have very short drives (for the most part). Getting out on the highway kills MPGs, unless you are driving 55-60.

Really, I just drive cautiously and always look ahead to try to keep room ahead of me for coasting/gliding. This isn't really P&G, though it is close. I always accelerate with a "balanced arrow" approach (my terminology) where I attempt to use only the ICE for acceleration. I then back off and allow the car's computers to figure out how to keep me at the desired speed. I also push the electric only mode when I am getting close to my destination. I figure the next start-up will provide a return of some of that battery juice.

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I used to be stuck in the low 40s (when I had aftermarket rims) then the mid-high 40s. I think after awhile a lot of us learn how important gliding (not P&G) is and tend to do it more often and our numbers start to really creep up. Finding alternative routes helps a lot as well but one must consider actual distance traveled because adding miles to a trip just to increase mpg is not very eco-friendly. :)

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I forgot to add driving slow helps a ton too. :)

I do the speed limits whenever other cars may be around and maybe as low as 5mph below if I'm on backroads but like a priori, I try to keep my speeds below 55mph unless I hit the freeway, then it's the speed limit or just above.

8. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Quite right. This is what really makes the difference, especially when driving around town.

True, true. (And . . . You're writing that just because hobbit and darrell haven't yet read this thread! :D)

9. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My $0.02 --

High MPG is highly addicitve !

I've had the car since Jan -- Once I learned the best techniques from PC, and the weather broke, I was ASTOUNDED to achieve 74.9 MPG (MFD) on a round-trip 130 mi. run in April.

As you guys said, it requires patience, the right kind of roads, speeds between 25 - 45 MPH, & the right time of day, and warmer temps.

Still, it only took 20 min. longer than if I'd been on a highway at 55-60. More time for "All Things Considered."

On the other hand, my daily commute is short, occasionally punctuated by errands. This gives me an embarrasing 44 MPG, even doing all the right techniques, even in 60-70 degrees.

So -- based on a combination of the 2 types of driving, the total MPG on my last fill-up (510 mi.) showed 66.5 (MFD) / 61.3 (calc.).
    And 2 pips to spare.

Addicitive ... and, to paraphrase -- once you've had the max, you'll never go back. ;)

10. Brodie

Brodie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    This past weekend I did a few longer trips than my normal commute and my MPG jumped 0.5 in two days....My commute is only 7.7 miles so kinda hard to get good mileage, plus I have a big bridge to go over within the first 5 minutes that I chug up at around 24 mpg. Can't wait to drive to NH this summer and see how I do on a long road trip. I was never a fast driver but I definitely drive slower now unless I need to get somewhere in a hurry. having the MFD show you how much better your mileage gets when you slow down a little is such a key component to the Prius....I think everyone would drive slower if their cars showed them what was going on!

BTW I've had my Pri for almost 2 months, 2200 miles, haven't touched a thing (including tires) and am at 48.5 MPG. Coming from a 14 mpg truck I am in heaven!

11. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Adding miles to a trip to increase MPG may or may not be eco-friendly. It depends on how many miles are added, and how much MPG is improved.

Example:

30 mile drive getting 46.5 MPG = 0.645 gal.

alternate route:
    35 mile drive getting 60 MPG = 0.583 gal.

Alternate route adds 5 miles but saves 0.062 gal each way.

2 times per day 5 days per week 52 weeks per year:

0.062 X 2 X 5 X 52 = 32.24
    5 X 2 X 5 X 52 = 2,600

Under these circumstances driving an extra 2,600 miles saves 32.24 gallons per year.

Also at $4.00/gal that's $128.96 saved.

Of course while the addition of 5 miles per day may be eco-friendly in this case, if it meant driving significantly slower you'd be giving up quite a bit of time to save that fuel and money.

30 miles @ 70 MPH = 00:25:42.857 per trip.
    2 times per day 5 days per week for 52 weeks = 9 days 6 hrs. 51 min. 25 sec. total per year

35 miles @ 40 MPH = 00:52:30.000 per trip
    2 times per day 5 days per week for 52 weeks = 18 days 23 hours. total per year

That's an increase of 00:26:47.123 per trip or 9 days 16 hrs. 8 min. 35 sec. per year

On a purely short term personal financial cost/benefit analysis, it wouldn't likely be worth it. On the other hand, if you enjoy the challenge or feel strongly about the environmental benefits, it could tip the scale.

12. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You are spot-on. I think some folks reject P&G out of hand because, at a minimum, they don't want to disrupt the flow of traffic or be discourteous to those behind them. Those are valid concerns, and many won't have the opportunity for sustained P&G on their typical routes without inciting road rage or being unsafe.

But we all accelerate and decelerate. Why not do both as efficiently as possible? When you accelerate (the pulse), avoid drawing from the battery or pushing ICE RPM into inefficiently high ranges. When you decelerate (the glide), preserve as much kinetic energy as possible instead of wasting it.

With anticipation of lights and other slowdowns and a little practice, I think folks (in any vehicle) would surprise themselves with fuel economy improvements just by being efficient during times they're speeding up or slowing down anyway. Then as the technique becomes more ingrained, it can be called up on demand for more driving segments as conditions and operator temperament allow. It might be just for a short segment as traffic volume behind temporarily drops. Or it could be something more sustained on lightly traveled streets. Finally, many can find alternative routes that provide more and longer P&G opportunities. Heck, they might even find the alternatives to be shorter overall for an even greater fuel savings.

13. Prudence

Prudence New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've found this out in the past few months. I thought I was doing okay by not tailgating and not stopping hard, but thinking ahead further than just the immediate area is starting to pay off. I'm looking at two or three stop lights ahead now and trying not stop (except at stop signs, I don't roll through). I may be going 10 mph when the light turns green, but that's better than getting the car up to speed from a dead stop. I drive like this coming home from work around eight in the evening, so traffic isn't a concern.
    For me, watching the numbers and graphs was too much, I get better mileage when I'm not trying too hard. I keep an eye on things, but I'm not a slave to them.

14. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Danny,

One thing to consider is what you would do with the extra 27 minutes per trip. If it is an excuse to drool in front of a TV set, then I'd disagree.

15. Ichiro

Ichiro Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've found that slowing down on my commutes has the benefit of lowering my stress level. I spend about 10 extra minutes per day driving at a lower speed, but I'm far less wound-up or aggravated by the time I reach my destination.

16. LOVL1TE

LOVL1TE New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've had my 2008 for a month now, and love it for sure. My commute is 5 miles each way with speed limits varying from 25-35mph and I get a solid 49mpg. (It's very flat here). I drove 1.5 hours in mixed 45-55mph with stoplights and the car loaded with PA equipment and got 57mpg. The p&g with added inertia appears to have made a big difference with regeneration and the subsequent mileage. I’ll be working on my technique – especially when I get a chance to find an open road.

17. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've been paged?!

18. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Quite true... however, I know from reading some of these threads that there are people who go out and drive the car extra for NO OTHER REASON than to increase that mileage number. The amount of gasoline burned is of no consequence in these cases - only that wonderful MPG number. It is enough to make me say bad words, so I'm gonna go ride my bike and think happy thoughts.

19. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, with an extra "r"! (Sorry!)

20. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No worries, I've been called far worse.