1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally got it! ("A" rating for Lakeside Toyota!)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by nineinchnail1024, Jun 26, 2009.

1. nineinchnail1024

nineinchnail1024 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I finally got my '10 Prius. She's a package III blizzard pearl. We went to the dealership to look at a winter gray that we had spotted on the lot (my first choice colors were winter gray, blizzard pearl and classic silver). Once I looked at the winter gray, I realized it was much darker in person than I thought it would be. With the recent heat wave and record 105 degree heat in new orleans, I wanted a lighter car, so I checked out a blizzard pearl on the lot. The window sticker was a shocker:

Package III and delivery- $23,805
    Blizzard Pearl Paint- $220 (Fair for a specialized paint)
    Color coded door trim- $125 (Total rip-off)
    Upgraded alarm system- $359 (Again, too much)
    Carpeted mats- $200 (I wanted them)
    MARKET ADJUSTMENT: $2,000 (NOT gonna happen)
    Total: $26,709

When the salesmen asked me what I thought about the car, I told him I thought I wouldn't bother even beginning to haggle unless the market adjustment and door trim price disappeared. "You don't have to worry about them then," he said, and immediately dropped the price by $2,125, leaving me at $24, 584. With that as a starting price, I was ready to haggle.

We went inside and discussed the price of the car. I told him I wanted to get the price of my trade squared away first and then we could discuss the price of the '10 (reverse of my usual tactic, but I figured I would have more trouble getting what I wanted for my trade than getting what I wanted to pay for the '10). So, he asked me what I wanted for the trade. I showed him the trade-in values I had printed up at edmunds, NADA and KBB and told him I wanted the average of those numbers. I fully expected them to come back with a lower offer, but I know that no one gets blue book for trades in this area and I had a number in mind. He came back with a number that was a few hundred from where I wanted to be. I told him I could accept that if we could work a bit more on the '10, which he agreed to.

When all was said and done, we came to an agreement at $9,000 for my '05 Package II Prius with 66,000 miles (fair condition) and $23,900 for the Blizzard Pearl Package III '10 Prius. These numbers were EXACTLY where I wanted to be when researching the Prius.

Then came financing. I was offerred a good rate and was not pressured into any add-ons. The finance guy showed me the extended warranty, GAP insurance, tire protection, etc, but he never tried to push any of them on me as I declined each one. I did buy the LoJack, because I work in law enforcement and know just how effective it is (as well as have it on my other vehicle). I also know what it costs to get it installed and their price was in the normal range. When all was said and done, I had a $277 a month note and a smile on my face.

Overall, I give Lakeside Toyota an A for their service and my experience there. The only reason they don't get an A+ is because even seeing the "market adjustment" listed on the car was almost enough to make me walk away without even beginning to deal. This is the second car I've bought from them (first was my '05 Prius) and the fifth car my family has bought from them, and we are all VERY impressed with their professionalism.

One last thing. I highly recommend that if anyone in the new orleans area is looking for a new Prius, talk to Milton Watson at Lakeside Toyota. He was quite simply the best, least aggressive, easiest to deal with car salesmen I have ever worked with.

There ARE cars out there, and their ARE deals to be had. In fact, as I was leaving, another customer was striking a deal on a Blizzard Pearl package IV with solar (which was on the lot for a total of four hours) :O

Pictures soon, I promise.

6 people like this.
  2. nineinchnail1024

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I forgot to mention:

A big thanks to EVERYONE on this forum who helped me figure out what I should expect and taught me everything about the '10. Part of the reason I think I got the deal I wanted was because, in the salesman's words, "You know more about the car than I do." Priuschat.com gets an A+!

3. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A nice write up with I think some good bargaining advice and how to approach buying a car.

Congrats on your purchase.

4. nineinchnail1024

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Crappy cell phone pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah they are :)

However it does give a good indication of the "blizzard" effect over a super white car.

6. nineinchnail1024

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yeah, the sun was barely up when I snapped these, but when the sun is high, the blizzard really pops. I'll get some better pics when I get my digital camera back from my parents, probably this weekend (they took it on a cruise).

7. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Congrats to you on the deal and on the car!

8. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congrats--enjoy.

9. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice write up. However I'd pass on the LoJack. In NY it is a waste of money. Who the hell wants their car back in pieces? Besides, a Prius is not high on the list of cars stolen. If they want it, they can have it. That's what insurance is for. Truth be told, if it was so effective, the insurance companies should offer a large subsidy to install those things. They don't. What does that tell you?

10. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Congrats!! Only $9,000 for your old Prius? That sounds low :( Is that the going rate?

11. nineinchnail1024

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It was used as an animal transport vehicle for the last two years. $9K was more than fair, lol.

12. nineinchnail1024

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The popular method of car theft here is a flat bed truck and a chain. All cars are commonly stolen here, especially those that are "hot" already. Right out the port of new orleans, down the mississippi to the gulf of mexico and presto, a lovely central american couple have a half-price preowned vehicle courtesy of the good ol' USA. I've worked in law enforcement long enough to know that with LoJack, the average recovery time is less than 40 minutes. True, insurance would cover my losses if I didn't have LoJack, but I can't stand the thought of someone else driving around in the car that I worked hard to pay for. If the dealership were trying to charge an unreasonable markup on the system, then I would have walked and bought it elsewhere, but they ask a fair price.

1 person likes this.
  13. theowl

theowl Prius Convert

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Congrats on the new whip! It looks awesome in that color. Your post definitely helps me as I get ready to do to the dealership.

14. Peppito

Peppito New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ahhh yes!! Finally, a local New Orleanian has a 2010! :) I'm looking to drive one home sometime in the next couple months. Congrats, dude! Keep in touch!

15. Azimuth

Azimuth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, that is an amazing price! Do you have any more details about what you paid for each line item?
    If I can get that price for a p iii I'll be in one next week. Even if I have to drive 500 miles to go to your neck of the woods.

16. nineinchnail1024

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Basically, the cost of the add on options was removed and the cost of the blizzard pearl paint was cut in half.

17. nineinchnail1024

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Come on down to Challytown and you can check out mine. Let me know when you get into one, bro!

18. Wintergrey

Wintergrey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    nineinchnail1024, I am in awe of your l33t ninja bargaining skills!

19. Azimuth

Azimuth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did they throw in the floor mats?

20. nineinchnail1024

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    They removed the cost of the options not the options themselves. :D

I didn't even ask them to drop the cost of the floor mats, they just did it because they weren't quite where I wanted them to be on the trade. This way worked out better for tax reasons, so I was happy.