1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally got it

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by dpguest, Feb 26, 2008.

1. dpguest

dpguest New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just picked up my new metallic gray touring package #2

Couldn't figure out how to turn on the windshield wipers ... have to read the manual.

They tried to sell me about $3,000 of extras, warranties, all kinds of other protection items but because of the good advice in this wonderful forum, we didn't fall for any of that nonsense.

They said just go easy for 500 miles and don't worry about using the cruise control.

I asked about using synthetic oil, and they hedged on that one, and said no maintenance was required until 5,000 miles.

It seems to be a wonderful vehicle now that I have put 15 miles on it.

thanks for all the great information...

David Guest

2. joeszabo

joeszabo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congratulations and welcome to the forum:angel:

You may want to consider changing your oil in your first 1000-1500 miles, (there are some treads on this in the forum) as most new engine wear likely occurs there.

3. billarb

billarb New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I passed 2,500 miles this week and I still view it as a "wonderful vehicle." I really love my car. I have a tale to share with you that demonstrates just how the car grows on you: this past weekend, we had crummy weather here in northeast and I spent Saturday on the couch, wishing I could be playing golf. I felt kind of empty most of the day, until it dawned on me that I did not drive my car at all on Saturday. This was the first day that's happened since I picked it up from the dealer on December 26, 2007.

I'm thinking of naming my car "Jones" because I truly had a jones going on this past weekend. I missed taking it for a spin!!!

4. diversified

diversified Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Congradulation, Best car I've ever owned. Just beware the tires in winter weather.

5. AussieOwner

AussieOwner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PC.:welcome:

I'm surprised that you had problems with the wipers - one of the really nice things about the Prius is that it operates just like any other car - with most of the controls no different from anything else.

Then again, thinking about the wiper control - there are so many different settings on that stalk - not just turning it on and off, but intermittant speed control, rear window wiper, washers, both front and back - yeah - can see some issues. However, that is probably the most complex control in the car.

As for the oil - nearly everyone here says, just follow the recommendations in the manual - change at 5,000 is all you need.

6. TUXTAILS

TUXTAILS tuxtails

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    congrats

Hope You Enjoy You Car As Much As I Do.. I Got Mine 3 Weeks Ago, I Find It A Challenge To Drive.. Im Getting 54 Mpg,combined City And Highway.. Have About 800 Miles On It And Just Changed My Oil To Synthetic Mobil One And Put A New Filter On It.. I Found The Car Great In The Snow,as In Boston We Have About 6 Inches Of Snow Last Friday. The Vsc, And The Traction Control Was A Big Help..also It Was A Good Idea To Block Off The Grills, Upper And Lower In The Cold Weather...well Enjoy

Gary

7. rslitman

rslitman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I had problems figuring out the windshield wipers, too, especially since it started to rain while I was on my way home from the dealer with it. I finally pulled over to a parking lot and played around with them for a while before figuring it out.

I had had a rear windshield wiper on some of my past cars but not on the one I had for the past 9 1/2 years. It is great to have one again.

As for the extra packages, I did go for the Toyota extended warranty - 7 years, 75K miles. I had bought this for previous cars of other makes. I didn't have one for my last car - the one I had for 9 1/2 years - and there were times I wish I did. This was not a Toyota but an Acura.

The dealership had a woman (a foreigner with an accent that was hard to understand) come out and show me all of those various packages like paint sealant that I have known for almost 35 years as a car owner not to buy. When the other person in my household came in two days later to pick up his Prius, they didn't even bother to send her out to talk to him. Also, he decided he didn't want the extended warranty.

We also declined a prepaid maintenance package, since the only extra thing we wouldn't be paying for otherwise was road service that we get from AAA anyway.

8. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've put 15k miles on mine and its still a wonderful vehicle. :D

9. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Welcome to PC
    The first time I used the cruise control, for some reason I hit the wiper arm and had to pull over to figure out how to turn it off, LOL:behindsofa:

10. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, David! I still think it's a great car coming up on 40K miles! When I picked up my first Prius, at night, someone had set the navigation to go to the dealer I was leaving, so for the 50 miles to my home the car kept telling me to turn around and go back. I spent most of the next day learning about the car and setting things up.

11. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's MAGNETIC but you can still join the Magnetic Gray Club.:D Enjoy.