1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally got my Prius.....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by The Electric Me, Apr 24, 2013.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay so it took me 4 years.

But actually about 2 weeks ago, I traded in my much loved Honda Fit, for a new Prius 2. I would honestly say, it was my enjoyment of The Honda Fit that so delayed my Prius purchase. As I wave goodbye to my Honda Fit....I'll be as bold to say in Prius Chat, that The Honda Fit was a great, well designed sub-compact, with a fantastically well thought out interior. And it was fun to drive...

Okay...but with years of Prius Chat involvement, I'm NOT your typical newbie. I could go on like any normal "New Prius" owner. But with some experience, let me try a slightly different approach than just the usual....Love The New Prius...Glad to Be Here....

COLOR-SEA GLASS PEARL

Usually, and in the past, I've been a "classic" color guy. I like Black, Red, White, Grey....I'm usually not into anything that sounds like it could be an Ice Cream topping. BUT....I'm getting older, and the commitment it takes to keep a darker color looking clean...is becoming more daunting. I really did not want white as it is so populace. So I somewhat hesitantly went with the Sea Glass Pearl...despite some reservations.

So Far? It's a very mercurial color. That is, it looks very different to me, depending on what light or time of day you are looking at it. I'd say, I like it most of the time. Because to my eyes in the evening and night or on overcast days (we get a lot of those) Sea Glass Pearl looks very Steely, Greenish to Bluish light grey...and I like it.

Admission...on the brightest clearest of days or mornings sometimes it can look too "baby blue" for my tastes. But I like that the color actually seems to change with the light and environment.

Further admission...so far I've had 3 women absolutely go crazy about "The Color". Women seem to love the Sea Glass Pearl? Who knew? Never had anyone go "Wow...that Black Color is awesome!".

SOMETHING I THOUGHT I'D HATE- THAT I DO NOT, AND I ACTUALLY KINDA LIKE.

Okay.....guess what? I like the reverse beep. After all I read in Prius Chat, I thought for sure I'd be desperately trying to disable it or begging the dealer to do it. But I think I'll just keep it. At least on my Gen 3, it's a very subtle beeping, and maybe I've lost a lot of brain cells, by I kind of like the reminder that I'm actually in reverse.

SOMETHING I THOUGHT I'D HATE-THAT I DO HATE....

Now admittedly the Prius comes into a bit of vacuum that I knew would exist. Because I absolutely loved my Honda Fit Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel. It was the best "feeling" steering wheel on any vehicle that I ever owned. So I knew The Prius steering wheel was going to feel crude in comparison.

But man...The Prius steering wheel is not just bad...it's horrible. Love the "accessible technology" on the steering wheel, but absolutely hate the bargain basement sand paperish feel. Come on Toyota, you can do better. IMO there are a few primary first impression direct inputs that people have with their vehicle....steering wheel is one of them. I would say someone would be hard pressed to be impressed with the standard Prius steering wheel. Add to it, that it's oblong and not a real circle?

Wheelskins already ordered.....lit a candle in honor of the memory of my Honda Fit leather wrapped steering wheel.

SORTA NEWBIE REACTION

Have eaten WAY too much fast food this past week, primarily because I love going to the drive through and having the engine turn off. Actually have found myself hoping there is a line. I know this is wrong...eventually this will wear off....or I will soon need a triple bypass....

Another thing? I kind of like the Vehicle Proximity Notification System. From within the car I can't hear it....if I roll down the windows in the drive through? I like the fact that I sound different than almost anything else in the line.

1 question's I'm actually embarrassed I don't know the answer to....

Been driving for almost 2 weeks, pretty mild weather, not hot...some rain. As far as I can tell my Hybrid Battery fan has never turned on. I've never heard it. Keep expecting to hear it turn on at some point....so far, as far as I can tell it never has turned on. Should I be concerned?

Looking for a good weekend to clean and a good location to take some pictures.

MY IMMEDIATE SLIGHTLY UNIMPORTANT DILEMMA...

While I have long advocated that "The Center Cannot Hold" and deterioration is inevitable. I do like to try to take care of my things and slow the process of deterioration as much as possible.
    Therefore I am caught in a bit of a Catch 22.

I have the new car owners fear of parking lot door dings. Normally I would deal with this fear by buying side moldings. But I'm really torn as to whether I want to do this with the Prius.

On one hand, I love side moldings and the idea of them protecting the flat surface of the side from the inevitable door ding dent or scratch.

On the other hand? Toyota went to so much work to make form follow function with The Prius, it seems almost wrong to slap side moldings on a vehicle that spent so many hours being refined in a wind tunnel.

Anyone have them? Any noticeable affect on gas mileage? I'm still debating this...I can be swayed.

Well....you'll never get rid of me now...I be a real full fledged Prius Owner.

PS.
    I still think the recent commercials suck....I refuse to totally drink the kool aid.

2. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats Electric! Interesting review. I never understood the side moulding though. Don't do it. Just park far.

The Electric Me likes this.
  3. MansTer420

MansTer420 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do agree on some of your opinions.

Since I got the base option maybe...

I HATE this possibly the cheapeat fabric material Toyota is using for seats.
    These material is the worst in auto industry.

and like you mentioned, the steering wheel. They could use plather or some other material but omg...

well i went for budget option so cant really complaint but hey.
    Im just comparing it to my previous vehicles.

SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 ? 2

4. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but that's kind of the problem. I have been parking far away. The nice thing is I can usually use Battery Power to cruise the parking lot gas free as I look for the "safest" looking spot.

Odd thing is, so far if possible I park as isolated as possible...but converesely? I usually return to have a huge truck or SUV parked right next to me.

I know that ultimately it will not matter. But for some reason my psyche is more at peace with the idea of someone thoughtlessly swinging their door into my side molding...than into the actual side of the vehicle.

5. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But what makes you think the offending point in their door happens to be at the same level as your moulding?
    A smooth panel is easier to clean, clay, and wax.

6. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats. Ditch the side moldings and just be smart in parking. Side moldings can prevent door dings, but they can't protect a careless driver from backing into you while trying to squeeze in.

7. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice thing for me, is I'm coming from a Honda Fit...albeit a well equipped "sport model". So even though I also bought the base model Prius 2, it's amenities seem as nice or nicer.

As far as seat fabric? I'm just going to wait and see. I don't dislike it. I know when I first got my Honda Fit, it has a similar fabric on it's seats. I thought I was going to hate it, and I also thought I'd have to buy Clazzio's. But I noticed in time that the fabric was actually pretty resilient, held up well, and I ended up liking it so much I never did buy Clazzio's.

So I think I'll just give this fabric a chance. In a year if it's wearing badly? Or I find I really hate it? Then Clazzio seat covers are always an option.

If I was coming from a vehicle with leather seats...I'd might be more disappointed. But for now, I can take a wait and see attitude about the fabric.

Also so far....the seat seems comfortable to me. Which I know has been an issue for many.

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats, the Wheelskins will make the wheel feel much better. :)

Sorry, going to have to disagree with previous posts regarding the side moldings, I highly recommend them. :D

Also, at risk of posting this repeatedly, upgrade the wimpy OEM horns stat.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yay! Welcome aboard, finally!!!

As for door dings, I always park my car far away (hoping the spot has less traffic) and away from other cars, if possible. If I have to be next to a car, I park away from junk cars. I learned my lesson after getting some HORRIBLE dings on my former Maxima and a dent in my former Z due to idiots. :(

On this note, watch
    , if you haven't already. :D

SalixIncendium likes this.
  10. Hoosiermama

Hoosiermama Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Congratuations! I came from a Honda Civic Hybrid. I didn't have the love for my old car that you do for yours (as DH and I got older, those seats became too uncomfortable for us). I have some arm issues and my hands would actually start to lose feeling as I got to work when driving the Civic (the steering wheel was really small). I no longer have that problem with this car.

I debated between the Sea Glass and the Black Cherry Pearl and ultimately went with the Black Cherry. I love this car. I really liked the Sea Glass on the exterior but liked the interior of the Black Cherry better.

For almost every dislike that everyone here seems to have, to me they seem minor and a definite step up from my Civic. I'm like you, the reverse beep doesn't bother me, probably because I'm new enough to the shift that I like knowing I've got it in the right gear (that gettin' old thing again!).

Enjoy!

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wow Electric! I never thought you would give in and actually buy a Prius. Congratulations, now you can enjoy and suffer with the rest of us.

My Gen3 is going to be 4 years old this summer and I still park way away from everyone when I can, so far it has worked pretty well, no bad dings. I walk for exercise anyway so the hike from the car to the store (or whatever) is OK.

Good review of the car, I'll have to look up your color I have no idea what it looks like. Have fun and don't eat too many happy meals. (y)

12. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When I park:
    • As close to the parking lot exit as possible - allows reaching cross street speed on traction battery and shifting into "N" for the first 45-50 seconds. Also counters some of the effects of drive-through food. <grins>
    • In winter - where it will be in the sunlight when ready to leave
    • In summer - where it will be in the shade when I'm ready to leave. In the hottest summer days, this is the far corner of the parking lot but staying under 9 mph, I can EV to the parking lot exit.
    Consider getting 'rain guards' that line the tops of front and rear windows so they can be cracked and minimize rain into the cabin. In Alabama, I sometimes have to park in the summer sun and the cracked windows slightly reduce the cabin heating. Also, they keep the rain out when driving as sometimes I like to smell the wet.

I don't know how you like to inflate your tires but I recommend getting a Harbor Freight or equivalent, 12V pump with a pressure gauge. Every two months, top of the tires and they will last longer and your mileage will stay good. I like harder tires because with the lower center of gravity, our Prius take turns at wicked speeds. They also stop RIGHT NOW at higher pressure.

Bob Wilson

13. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone.

I don't mean my "newbie" review to sound too negative. I'm really happy with my New Prius and I plan to keep it as long as it makes any legitimate viable sense. So hopefully for many, many years.

My Fit however was coming up on 3 years old, with the new car warranty on it expiring. So unless I was going to commit to keeping The Fit for a long long time...which was a possible and reasonable option, I felt it was kind of now or never. There's a big difference in trading in a 3 year old vehicle in great condition vs. a 5, 6, or 7 year old vehicle.

And as many of you know, my interest in Prius and Hybrids has been long standing. So here I am....

So anyway.....

Help me with my paranoia. I haven't yet heard the Hybrid Traction Battery fan turn on? If it's cool or moderate temperatures outside is this normal? Haven't had a "hot" day since I bought it. But I have driven it freeway and at higher speeds...and as far as I can tell I've never heard it turn on.

14. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    In regards to moldings, it's not just the Prius but an industry trend to not have side moldings. Clearly they are designing the car with that in mind as there are no longer channels in the door skins.

15. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    First off ... congrats- love the Sea Glass Pearl, I actually decided on that color for the PIP- but switched to BP at the last second.

Don't even think about the battery vent fan- it's completely automatic. It's a variable speed motor- so it starts off very slow (and almost inaudible) and doesn't increase RPM's unless it's needed. I can't even remember the last time I heard the fan in the PIP.
    Only thing to remember is- don't let a rear right seat passenger cover the battery vent inlet grille with a blanket, pillow, etc...

FWIW- the first few mods I did were (to protect my investment):
    1) Euro-style mud flaps
    2) Door mouldings
    3) Husky Weather-beater floor and cargo area liners
    4) Magnetic oil plug
    5) Interior LEDS

Then later on:
    First oil change at 3.5k miles
    TRD Oil filters
    HID (4.3k) headlights
    Grill blocking
    Dedicated alloy rims for winter tires (disabled TPMS)

Still to come:
    Clazzio seat covers
    Window tinting
    Sunroof (maybe)

16. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Congrats finally Electric Me!

Don't sweat the battery fan. It will work as needed. Get a scan gauge and watch various temps with xgauges.

My 2010 III with NAV has been a maintenance hog this week: About time for 5th oil change at 50,000 miles, so bought oil, filter. Just changed the wiper inserts after 3.5 years and that set me back about $30 at the stealership. And we are getting a low keyfob battery warning on the MID sometimes when we power down, so I just plunked down $8 for 2 new CR1632 batteries. Will it ever end?

Welcome to the club.

PLSPUSH likes this.
  17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My tactic, choose parking carefully in each situation -

At grocery stores, park far out and walk. In other situations, just park as straight as possible.

Watch out for front end sloped down parking - doors will swing open more. I parked nose down outside of a Chevys downtown Walnut Creek, parked well actually, but car to left passenger door swung open and chipped my left fender on 2009. Moved the car a bit and had a chat with them as we happened to be leaving at same time.

Watch out on very windy days, doors can get away.

All bets are off in really tight parking. I won't park a foot or 18" from another door.

I don't like side moldings on Prius, they look like a scar to me. I bought the kit for the 2009, never put them on. Gave them to new buyers.

18. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Congratulations EM! After all of this time I never thought you would give up the Fit for the Prius !

My car is over 3 years old now and I still park at the end of the parking lot and try to find an island that I can pull close to and leave as much room as possible on the opposite side of the parking space. I still have had a couple of very minor dings doing this. There are always parking lot yo-yo's no matter where you go.

Good luck with your Prius experience. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts after spending so many years on this site hearing other's opinions.

19. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm still debating....good points on both sides.

I had side molding on The Honda Fit...and I think they looked sporty and actually added style. Oddly, the subcompact Fit was so small, that it was pretty rare that I was parked in so tight that it even mattered.

The Prius is wider. So I'm actually a little more concerned.

I would agree that the Prius side moldings certainly don't add any "style". They are very plain and functional looking.

Even with all the advice "about" parking....which I do take and use often, especially now. Eventually in life you are going to find yourself in a situation where you have no real choice.

When you are forced to park in a tight or crowded parking lot. That's when it is nice to have the side moldings.

cycledrum likes this.
  20. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also depends on which moldings.. 1.JPG you get....