1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally got to clean & NuFinish.. Plus where I got hit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Catskillguy, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

[attachmentid=2979][attachmentid=2980][attachmentid=2981]

Finally got the time & weather to give the car the first real cleaning & protecting since I got in the mid February.

Washed with Maguires Crystal wash, washed with a wool handmit
    Dried with a chamois
    Put on a coat of NuFinish, taken off with diaper material (UNUSED!)
    Used Formula 303 on vinyl inside & out, same diaper material
    Used ArmorAll Wet Black on the tires
    Used some glass cleaner I can't remember, with same lintless diaper material. Will put RainX as soon as I can find it.

Windstrings, you almost had me ordering & using Zaino, but, To Thine Own Self be True. I am a person who (on current cars), would wash them maybe 4 times a year.. maybe wax once. I thought this would be as good as I could get. I even had Mother's Claybar, but decided I didn't want to use it... I still blame the stealth parking lot hitter for dampening my enthusiasm (see picture). I think it looks good anyway.

I also had to really nag the wife to look how the paint looks different colors in different light... almost looked purple in the filtered shade tree sunshine.

Yes, the daffodils are in bloom. Best thing is the deer won't touch them. The car is about 1/3 the distance up the driveway towards the road. Can you believe I used to shovel that by hand the first few years I lived upstate NY. What WAS I thinking!

2. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Catskillguy @ Apr 15 2006, 08:31 PM) [snapback]240341[/snapback]</div>
    Boy, am I impressed! I do good if I make it to the SparkleBriteonce a month.

Peace --

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Catskillguy @ Apr 15 2006, 06:31 PM) [snapback]240341[/snapback]</div>
    I strongly recommend that anyone reading this NOT follow the same steps as the original poster.

Diapers are among the worst possible cloths to remove wax. Unlike terry cloth and microfiber towels, they have no pile, meaning that any abrasive particles are trapped right at the surface of the cloth, where they can cause maximum damage (swirling and marring) to your paint. Even Meguiar's points out how bad diapers are in their "Top Twelve Myths" about paint care:

From the Meguiar's web site:
    NuFinish contains very powerful chemical and abrasive paint cleaners, which are needed for a once-a-year product. If you care about the appearance of your car, you should steer away from strong paint cleaners, as they are only needed for neglected or poorly maintained paint. In order to remove paint defects with a single hand application, the cleaners in NuFinish have to be so strong that they will dull and put tiny scratches into well-maintained paint. Paint that is regularly and properly maintained doesn't need any cleaning, or only a mild chemical cleaner at most, like that in Klasse AIO.