1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally, my HV battery kicked the bucket!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by alexeft, Feb 18, 2015.

1. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At 165k miles. Going to replace it with a brand new one as I don't have the time to replace cells and I don't really trust used ones. Car is a 2004 Gen II.

Does anyone know if new batteries that toyota sells are produced now, or if production stopped along with the production of the model? I really don't need a new 2009 battery LOL!!!

2. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good question, shelf life may be a problem.

3. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    2004-2009 TOYOTA PRIUS HYBRID BATTERY- COMPLETE W/ HV COMPUTER 18 MONTH WARRNATY

***18 MONTH WARRANTY*** 2004 - 2009 Toyota Prius Hybrid Battery Pack 2nd Gen (Fits: 2004 Toyota Prius)

#3 Sergiospl, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check with the dealer, there should be a production date code. i think they are new, because you're unlikely to find one sitting on a dealer's shelf.

5. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I might sound a bit like I'm wearing a tin-foil hat here, but we've been conditioned as a society to: "replace-first and ask questions later," if at all. Is it a government plot? I don't think so; it's just the natural consequence of taking advice from those who have the most to gain by recommending the more expensive options.

6. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm not in the US my friend, thanks.

If this were the case, wouldn't I see different resistances in the diagnostic?

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to R&R the battery. If I did...............

I asked but they didn't know. I will check once they receive it though. I hope you're right about the batteries being new.

#6 alexeft, Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2015
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    me too.:) one thing i can say, i don't recall anyone reporting back here with problems after having a new battery installed. that's a good sign, compared to all the complaints after having rebuilds installed.

8. brucebee

brucebee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    would be real intersted as my car 04, 165kmiles is about where you are at. think there would be a build date somewhere on there. keep us posted, wish you well

9. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will, thanks!

10. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

So, I had the battery replaced with a brand new one after all. I checked it but there was no manufacturing date written anywhere. Still, considering Toyota's philosophy of not stocking up on parts, I would reasonably expect that it is quite fresh.

The car is another car now. The battery has capacity such that it doesn't charge completely even in the steepest declines. Nor does the SOC move up or down in normal use. Perhaps by a bar or two at most on the MFD. I can hear the buzz of the trans when braking again!

A shake that it had when accelerating from low speeds has vanished.

FE seems to be up by 15-20%. Will check on that as time passes.

Cost was 2550 euros labor included. It was a special program that they had or something.

After all, happy with the choice. I will be even more happy if it holds together for another 12 years!

uart likes this.