1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally Put Deposit Down ...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Husker4theSpurs, May 16, 2008.

1. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    let the waiting begin.

I finally put down $500 to save my spot ... I am hearing anywhere from 4-12 weeks. I am being REALLY particular about what I want. I am #4 on the wait list ... it's a small dealership near my hometown. I am hoping that even though it's a small dealership that doesn't get AS many Priuses, the short wait list will make up for it.

Maybe I made a mistake by not going with a larger dealership ... I just didn't care much for the local dealer. They knew I knew what I was doing when it comes to buying cars, yet pulled the "make em wait" game on me and then told me any deposit wouldn't be refundable. The same dealer here in Lincoln owns the dealerships in Omaha as well. I did have contact with the dealer in Des Moines and I really liked the guy, but I went closer and smaller (hopefully it pays off).

Finally decided on a Black Touring, Package 6 w/gray interior. The Touring part could either hurt me or help me ... could help b/c not a lot of people around here want the Touring or the Black or the Package 6, but also there aren't many Tourings in allocation let alone Pkg 6s in black so that could hurt.

If it takes too long I will just ask for a refund and wait for the re-design most likely.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ahh finally! Congrats!

3. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    HUSKERS - too good. when i hear someone getting a black touring in #6, i daydream that could have been me. I have the standard #6.

i'll be keeping a close eye for your success and please tell me what kind of gas mileage you're getting. i really like the touring rims and i might get them if it's not a severe drop from what i'm getting.

good luck, congrats and cheers! let me know when you get your ride.

4. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Will do ... thanks guys! It could be QUITE a while :(

5. kittykat

kittykat New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello Everyone,
    Newbie here & I have some questions for y'all. I put my deposit down about 3 weeks ago. I had originally ordered a touring w/pkg. 2 & was told that it would take anywhere from 3-4 months to come in. I was willing to wait that long to get the car I wanted. Then about a week after I put my deposit down my salesman calls & says that Toyota won't sell a touring w/pkg.2 in Texas(gulf coast region) & I would have to get at least a pkg.3-about $1500 more or get the standard w/pkg.2. Further complicating this decision was at this point I had been unable to test drive either vehicle. You can't find a prius at a dealership anywhere here. I finally went with the standard. My question is does anyone know if what this dealership is telling me is true? Has anyone in the Austin area been able to buy a touring w/pkg. 2? Has anyone had good luck w/dealerships in the Austin area? I've been "lurking" on this site for a couple of weeks & the price I'm paying for my car is much higher than what most of y'all are paying for better pkgs. Sorry for the long post I'm just a little frustrated right now. Thanks a bunch.

6. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Salesguy e-mailed me that it's looking like mid-July as of now ... of course that's VERY tentative. That would make my wait right at 2 months.

7. gbot

gbot New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was in the Market for the same. A black Prius Touring with option 6. Many dealerships in my area said they haven't seen any color touring with option 6 in quite a long time. So I settled on a standard black Prius with option 6 and will look into those rims as well.

I placed my deposit down on May 23rd and was told it will arive sometime within the first 2 weeks of July....I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the dealership is not leading me on and will not end up taking longer.

8. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Go to http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/, click on "Research," select "Build Your Prius" and enter your zip code. You'll see what packages are available to dealers in your area. For example, here in the mid-Atlantic region we can't get a Touring (at all) or a Package 3. Try it with zip code 17401 and you'll see.

9. fcc

fcc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hm. i never realized the touring was so hard to get. I just went in the dealership
    told them what i wanted and they produced it in 6 weeks. Bought it a week ago.
    package 6.

10. chrisspaulding

chrisspaulding sexy, high tech, fun

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If there's even a part of you willing to wait until the redesign (which is sooner than later now), may I suggest you WAIT!?
    I know people say new tech = 1st round bugs, etc., but I don't foresee many issues there, and think of how you will feel toting around in your brand new gen model vs how you will feel with a brand old gen model.

Just a thought.

11. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    About a year, give or take.

And at that point GM's Volt will only be a year away, coming out in 2010 (at least that's what GM said this week).

Sort of like buying a PC - there's always something just around the corner that's neater (and cheaper?) than what you're buying today.

12. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    True, hard to pull the trigger as tech grows exponentially, but that's why I'm in favor of future proofing and timing the purchase. If it's decided the purchase WILL be a Prius, with less than a year before the new gen arrives, I'd wait.
    In that wait time I'd research like crazy preparing, as well as build a good relationship with my dealer to be at the top of the list.
    Time flies when your having fun!

13. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

If I'm honest with myself, I trade cars about every 2-3 years (stupid financially I know) so I don't have a problem with having the "old" model for a couple years until a slight refresh in the next gen comes out or the like. I would imagine next time I'll get the Lexus version of the Prius.

14. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You mean like this?

[​IMG]

15. hanhster

hanhster New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had to put a 1K deposit down in the SF area. I am also trying to buy a black Prius, gray leather interior w. package #6. Can anyone tell me how a touring drives and feels differently from a non-touring prius? I told my dealer I don't think I want touring but basically I'm prepared to buy any black prius w. package #6 touring or not so was wondering how driving the touring version is different?

Thanks!

16. Husker4theSpurs

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The TOURING is firmer and (imho) more connected to the road w/o feeling rough in the least. I preferred it immediately after test driving both back to back. Not a massive difference, but enough that I knew what one I wanted immediately. The car will never be confused with anything resembling "sporty" though.

Some believe the Touring gets slightly less MPG ... some say the Consumer Reports test shows this (which it does), however if you look at the same test the base and Touring had the exact same MPG over their 150 mile test. It would seem to make sense however that the Touring would have slightly lower fuel economy due to the slightly larger tires.

ConsumerReports.org - Most fuel-efficient cars

If you are looking to get one the fastest, you'll most likely have to go with the regular suspension. Supposedly only 5% of all Priuses produced are TOURINGs.

17. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've only driven the touring as that's what I bought, but I'm glad I did get the TE! I like the bigger/better looking rims, bigger rear spoiler, better suspension, and rarity (at the moment - have yet to see another touring in my parts).
    The first thing I look for when I spot another Prii are the wheels to see if it's a touring or not.

"never be confused with anything resembling "sporty"???
    Depending on your modes/accessories, I think you can get close. Check out my pics in my signature. Vrooom vrooom!

18. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Stay the course. I got my Magnetic Gray Touring Package three and a half weeks ago and absolutely love it! I am in Southern California and have gotten 52+ mpg on the second tank and on. Don't settle for less than the Touring variant.

19. chrisspaulding

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Dang! What am I doing wrong, or what's wrong with my car??? I CAN NOT get over 46mpg a tank - no matter how much hypermiling I try. ???

20. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pulse and glide. build speed downhill, then coast uphill. Takes a little practice, but works when traffic is not so bad