1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Finally, SB1 passed...Let there be light(retrieving devices be installed en masse)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Aug 23, 2006.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep. I have a feeling it would finally pass this year.

Good. I'm a little closer to getting solar on my roof. Looks like my optimum time is before December 31, 2007.

As for new construction, the "option" offering is good. It will be interesting to see how many new home buyers opt for the solar option. If Construction companies take a leaf out of the car dealership book, they would treat solar as a "port option" and install it on some homes, thus requiring the buyers to pay for it. I'm sure they could manage to make a profit on it just like the dealerships do.

So exactly when does the law take effect? January? Now? Or does it grandfather in from last January and the PUC decisions?

3. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 23 2006, 04:05 PM) [snapback]308467[/snapback]</div>
    I think more people will install it than people think. Look at what extra options people pay for (ie. granite tiles, carpets, and even front doors). For an addiional 20K on the 30 year loan, the homeowner will be able to get something that actually pays him or her back.

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If the home builders are smart, they can build the house "solar ready" meaning, build ALL of the roofs with cutouts in the framing for panels, but cover it with the OSB and shingle over it; also, prewiring for power down to the main, as well as having a Net meter in place. If buyers buy "production" homes, then all that need be done is to cut out the roof section, exposing the pre-framed area underneath. The panels would simply drop-in from there.

Nate

5. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My main concern is, as I understand it, SB1 will tend to perpetuate the construction of single family dwellings, which by their very nature are the least energy efficient of any configuration...and which, as a result of poor space utilization (relative to multi-family dwellings placed in a more dense urban environment) encourage suburban sprawl/more time spent alone in one's personal vehicle/a lack of diverse neighborhoods/little interaction between individuals in common public spaces/isolation.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know the 'ins and outs' of it, but that's what's on my mind.

6. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Aug 23 2006, 04:52 PM) [snapback]308483[/snapback]</div>
    This is a very good point regarding energy conservation. I saw a documentary regarding an area that constructed an entire community with conservation in mind. The community shared a couple cars, had a shed with community tools, had their houses retrofitted for energy conservation, installed a huge park for recreation, constructed a specific area for offices so that people could walk to work and the list goes on. I think they even tended a garden for their food. I personally don't believe I could be content this close to people but if the topic is energy conservation, this seems to be a good model to follow.

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I personally could use a bit more distance from my neighbors with barking dogs. Heaven help me if the barking dogs are on the opposite side of an uninsulated interior wall...

Also, every time I have lived in an MDU (multi dwelling unit) I have had problems with neighbors with noise, with cigarette smoke (and worse), with garbage, and generally other unpleasant behaviors.

In order for me to be happy in an apartment, I would need strictly enforced legislation mandating a minimum of human decency. Since this doesn't exist, I live in a house.

Nate

8. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Aug 23 2006, 03:25 PM) [snapback]308498[/snapback]</div>
    Was it called "communism" by chance? :p

The trouble with this setup is, nobody maintains the communal car, no one cleans up and puts away the tools or fixes them when they break, and nobody weeds the garden. Someone show me where this has worked for any length of time.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Aug 23 2006, 04:34 PM) [snapback]308477[/snapback]</div>
    What cut outs? Don't the panels go on TOP of the roof? Am I going to have to cut sections out of my roof to do this? I just had the roof done a few years ago and will NOT be happy if it has to be cut up.

10. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Aug 23 2006, 02:52 PM) [snapback]308483[/snapback]</div>
    The slums of Calcutta are very energy efficient.