1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Financing the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sunnysandiegan, Dec 13, 2005.

1. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

Hi! I have spent quite a bit of time today researching interest rates and loan offers in order to secure financing for our upcoming '06 Prius. We have a Prius on order with a deposit at one dealer. I am also working with three other local dealers. We hope to drive home a new Prius as soon after 1/1/06 as possible.

Financing options for new cars (as of 12/13/05):

~ Costco (via Capital One) - 5.14% (regular membership) [subtract 0.10% for executive membership, which we do not have]

~ AAA (via Capital One) - 5.34% (30-36m); 5.6% (37-60m)

~ Toyota Financial (online with zip code and 'excellent' credit) - 7.4%

~ North Island Credit Union - 5.49% with automatic payments (5.99% without); 5.49% HELOC with auto pay (rate varies each quarter...interest is deductible on our taxes)

~ San Diego County Credit Union - 4.5% variable auto loan; 5.75% fixed auto loan

~ Mission Federal Credit Union - 5.99%

~ Point Loma Credit Union - 5.99% with certain basis points reduction based on other factors (auto pay & dollar amount of loan)

~ Navy Federal Credit Union - 2.9% (up to 36m); 4.5% (37-60m); 3.75% HELOC intro rate for 6 months, which becomes prime + 2%; 4.9% home equity fixed rate loan (interest is deductible on our taxes)

We would qualify for any of these loans and we are either already members of these credit unions or we are eligible for membership. Toyota may offer us something different when we show up to take delivery and we could always return any other loan we obtained previously, but I want to secure financing today. A friend in the industry says rumor has it rates are going up again.

I am inclined to go with Navy Federal Credit Union, but am not sure which loan would be the best option. A 36-month loan on a Prius is going to result in steep monthly payments. We have cash set aside for a down payment and that could lower the monthly payments to reasonable levels. We really need some tax breaks due to some lucrative 1099 work my DH has been doing, which would make the home equity loan very attractive. Unfortunately, when I call them, I have to either be in the consumer loan area (auto loan) OR in the mortgage products area (home equity loan). The customer service reps are only trained in their specific areas and cannot give advice that crosses over nor comparisons. I already tried that earlier today. Nor will they comment on taxes, of course, since they are not tax advisors. Anyone got any experience with this? Know of a good comparison calculator? Our financial advisor is on vacation this week, naturally...

Thanks in advance!
    Karin

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Very interesting. I forget what the rates were on my last car (1990). I put down nearly 50% of the price at that time. I started saving since 1990 so I was able to pay cash (check actually) for the Prius. It was a heady feeling to write that check.

3. sunnysandiegan

You are the third person to mention cash to me. :)

We actually have been saving for a long time and had intended to buy DH's '04 Camry with cash. However, our savings (mutual funds) were paying us a much higher yield than the loan rates would cost us at the time (2.9% loan). That is still the case today, so I am reluctant to drop our savings in order to pay cash. Even with a 4.5% 60 month loan, we are yielding higher rates from our mutual funds.

4. cap_ut

cap_ut New Member

I applied to CapitalOne using the Costco portal today and was quoted a rate of 5.3%.

There are no blemishes on my credit record, but apparently there is not enough history on it either to qualify for the best rate.

That in hand, I am waiting to see what the dealer offers.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Use NFCU and go for 36 months if you can swing it. I have used them several times for cars and even once for a house and have always had good luck. Also you don't have to worry about being ripped off by some bank or finance company with print to small to read.

6. sunnysandiegan

Well, I decided to call our financial advisor to see who she put as her contact while she was on vacation. Turns out I had the wrong week. She'll be on vacation NEXT week. YAY! So, after discussing my findings, she recommended we go with the home equity loan because we need the tax write-offs and it is a very good rate (4.9% with NFCU) with no closing costs or annual fees or prepayment penalties. If we went for the 36 month 2.9% auto loan, we'd have to put $10k down in order to have 'reasonable' monthly payments. She felt that $10k was doing more good where we have it now. I applied for the loan over the phone a few minutes ago. Let's hope it gets funded prior to our Prius arriving. :)

7. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Go to the dealer with your credit union rate and i bet the dealer will match it using a local bank, that's what happened with me. It's sooo much easier using the dealer for financing.

8. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't have recommended a HELOC, especially one with a teaser rate and then that kind of spread from the prime. I'm not trying to be a wet towel, but unless you are paying literally tens of thousands of dollars in interest each year, the "write off" or rather deduction based upon mortgage interest paid is not all that impressive. I would never recommend that anyone take on debt based upon the tax code. When was the last time the tax code helped you? Me neither. And the other thing with a HELOC is if the payments are variable based upon percentage calculation of principal you might not end up paying off that loan for many years. You might not even pay off the Prius before you get rid of it or have to trade it.

The best way to think of it is on the total interest paid over the full term of the loan.

15000 financed
    2.9%
    36mo
    pmt: 435.56
    tot int pd over 36: 680.05

That is nothing. Dirt cheep financing is hard to find now that the prime is going up at a predictable rate. Jump on dirt cheep financing and avoid the uncertainties of the market. Now for the HELOC, these are ballpark figures because without knowing the terms of the HELOC and its minimum payment calculation it is hard to even estimate. So, I'll amortize it with what I know.

15000 financed
    4.9%
    60mo
    pmt: 282.39
    tot int pd over 60: 1,942.85

And you will probably pay more interest than that because you will have a variable rate. The interest paid will go up.

I'd take out 10k from investments put it down and then get the 36 month loan and not put my house on the line or deal with variables in the interest market.

As much as you make like your investment advisor, they want your money on deposit with them and in their books. It is usually how they are evaluated by their organization or how they make their money. If you remove money from them to spend on this it will lower the amount they have on the books and reduce the amount they can collect in fees, etc. Sometimes advisors don't necessarily work for you, especially when they earn on commission and fees.

9. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
  10. AzizaVFR

AzizaVFR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just went through Navy Federal Credit Union. I went onto their website, filled out the online loan application, and I got approved for $36000, even though I was only asking for $30000. I filled out the application on December 3rd at 2am, since I work the graveyard shift. On Wednesday, the 7th, I received my approval in the mail, containing a draft for the car payment. I got an interest rate of 7.9% because I do not have stellar credit due to a past relationship which to a turn to the financial worst.

Being an excited one, after work on the 8th, I went to Toyota of Escondido. At first I was looking to put my deposit on a Prius. Like it has been stated before, timing is everything. They had in their inventory a 2005 Super White, Package 6 that no one wanted. Weighing the pros and cons between instant gratification (2005) and MP3 playing capabilities (2006), I drove away with the 2005. The amount of time elapsed between arrival and departure was less than two hours.

I would highly recommend using NFCU if you have them for a resource. You can also schedule to have your payment withdrawn from your account on a certain day, never forgetting to send in nor miss a payment.

11. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

and I put my prius on a credit card and pay 0% interest. how is that for a deal?

12. sunnysandiegan

FYI: It is not a HELOC with a teaser rate. It is a fixed 4.9% home equity loan with no fees or closing costs. And the money is not earning my advisor a dime. I got all my mutual funds at NAV when I was in that industry years ago.

13. sunnysandiegan

I like 0%! :D Is that a short term rate, though? Do you have to constantly find a new 0% rate every six months or year? Or is it for the life of the balance?

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Personally, I don't think I'd borrow money to buy a car unless I absolutely needed to, and if I needed to borrow I'd keep the amount at an absolute minimum by buying a late-model used economy car. A new car is a luxury, and borrowing to buy luxuries is selling your soul to the bank.

15. tag

tag Senior Member

Not advocating one position or the other but......taking the $10k out might result in cap gains tax and, it seems to me, that you would also have to factor, into comparative calculations, lost income (and/or appreciation). Just a simple example re the latter, $10k in munis over 3 years is going to generate, what, circa $1200 in (federally) tax-free income?

16. sunnysandiegan

Thanks for all the replies! It is interesting to see the various points of view. :)

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your mutual funds are returning more than 4.5% *after* taxes? And they're guaranteed to keep doing that for the next five years? Cool.

18. LoreePrius

LoreePrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I when with my local credit union @ 3.95 for 5yrs. That the lowest I could find. But I will have the loan paid off by the middle of the year. :D

19. sunnysandiegan

Well, the loan processor called today to process the home equity loan and when she was going over the disclosures, I was dismayed. We have to close/fund the loan before 12/31/05 in order to pay no closing costs (which I knew). This is not a loan that we can just turn down after the fact (say Toyota offers us some great financing when the car is actually here). (It is not a check that we can choose to not cash, for example...funds are wired and the loan is a done deal at closing, which can take 2-3 weeks.) When it is funded, it is funded and we begin our payment schedule. There are no prepayment penalties, PER SE. However, the 'catch' on the no closing costs is we have to keep the loan for 24 months. If we paid it off immediately (in the above example where Toyota offered us some great financing) or if we just paid it off up to month 24 for whatever reason, we would then have to pay the closing costs incurred on the loan at origination. If we paid it off in month 25 or later, it would work out great. When I ran the numbers with a mortgage calculator (and our taxes), the closing costs would negate the tax savings for sure in the first year and is about a wash by year two. That is more risk than we are willing to take. Who knows what Toyota is going to offer in January or February or whenever our car arrives??? So, I withdrew that application and we are back to square one. I'll get back to this project later tonight.

20. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you asked the Toyota financial guy what they might offer. When I went there I told them I would use USAA. The sales man talked to the financial guy and he came over and gave me 3.99 or 4.99, I can't remember, but USAA was 6.02. So when they saw I had other finance options, they might have lowered their rate...don't know for sure...