1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Find a restaurant while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Doutt It, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Doutt It

Doutt It New Member

OK, I've been playing with the navigation voice commands with not much luck. Are there any experts out there that can give the process for the following:

You are driving and get a call to meet someone at a "common" restaurant in a near by city.
    How do you enter the dstination while driving.

For example (I'm in the Bay Area) you are in South San Jose and want El Torito's restaurant in Santa Clara.

All I get is the restaraunt icons or "can only be used in the scrolling map". What is this?

:(

2. olcorral

olcorral New Member

I've tried saying Mexican Food and have gotten many hits in the local areas. Then, try touching the screen in the general direction of your destination. I'm new to these things as well.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    What year car do you have? In the 04-05s there is a back door in the programing that will let you get at the Nav Menus while driving. I do not believe it has been shown to work in a 06. The other way is stop the car and do it. Saying "Im hungry" will get all food places. Search on Nav override, or check out this thread
    http://priuschat.com/List-of-known-hacks-e...gs--t12526.html
    Use caution people have caused problems using some of the other "undocumented" menus on that diagnostic page.

4. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You have to search for the resturant by entering it's name. Press the Dest button. Push the touch screen button for entering a POI by name. Type in "El Torito", and press the "List" button (I think it's the "List" button).

It won't let you do this while driving, but there is a motion override that lets you access everything that it normally locks out while you are moving. Someone else will have to point you to the instructions for that, as I don't have time to find it right now.

5. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

Doutt It, you should put your car and package in your signature to help others answer your questions more specifically. Digging through your post history, I see you are driving an '06.

So far the Nav motion override mentioned above has not been found on an '06.

Unfortunately, I know little about entering a destination via voice on an '06, but this may at least help others help you. :)

6. Doutt It

Doutt It New Member

Good info but I have a 2006. Everything grey's out while in motion.

7. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You will need to set the destination while stopped. Usually, when setting it when I get into the car, I would just hit the power button once without holding the brake down. Once it is set, hold the brake down and hit the power button again and you are ready to go.

The catagories and voice commands do well if you want to find something of a type in the area. Since you want to find a specific restaraunt follow Marlin's suggestion and type in the name. Usually you will only need to do the first part to get a reasonable list to make your selection.

8. jwe8f

jwe8f New Member

9. Doutt It

Doutt It New Member

Found the spot and updated my info. Thnaks for the reminder.
    I also have a 2005 Acura RL. The voice commands for the navigation seem to be much more intuative. I'm hoping there is a way to use it while driving.

10. curtisjackson

curtisjackson New Member

We just got my wife a 2006, and I am having the same problem when I am not driving:

Get in the car in the driveway. Turn the hybrid system on (step on brake and hit power). The car is still in Park; I haven't put it in Reverse or Drive.

Hit the voice button and ask for Help. Help screen says the only command in that mode is "Set Destination".

Dismiss the Help screen, hit the voice button, and say "Set Destination". The car says "That command is available in the scrolling map." Note that it doesn't say "only available", it just says "available".

Nowhere in the 118-page manual (with no index, thank you very much Toyota) can I find anything about a "scrolling map". I have no idea what it is talking about, but I do know that when you ask for help from a UI, and the UI tells you what command to use, and then that command doesn't work, then someone has not done their job. So far I am extremely unimpressed with what Toyota calls a UI and documentation.

Any idea what this "scrolling map" is?

I guess my next move will be to power to ACC mode rather than all the way to IG-ON mode, and see if anything improves.

11. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just press "Destination" while stopped. Then touch the appropriate screen-buttons to choose how you wish to enter the destination info.

I never try using the voice commands to set a destination. I'm stopped: there's no reason I need to speak when I can take the time to press and touch.

12. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(r_wolfcastle @ May 9 2006, 11:13 AM) [snapback]252252[/snapback]</div>

OK, I don't claim to be an expert, but I've done a little experimenting in my second day of Prius ownership, and I have successfully entered a destination by voice command. It takes a while, so if you're flying down the freeway, you'll want to give yourself a few miles headway to get the destination entered.

Here's what I did to enter a destination by address:

1. Command: Address
    2. Command: Change State
    3. Command: California (for my case, of course)
    4. Command: Change City
    5. Command: Milpitas
    6: Command Change Street
    7: Command: McCarthy

(at this point, you may have to try the command a few times to get the one you want. There evidently is a "Next Candidate" command which I didn't try, but might shorten the process a bit.)

Once the correct street is recognized:

8: Command: 1 - 5 - 0 - 1 (saying the house number one digit at a time)
    9: Command: Set Destination.

My confusion was the same as the person who started this thread: Thinking you start with the "Set Destination" command. Start with the "Address" command and end with the "Set Destination" command. The system kind of walks you through the process in between those steps. It just takes a long time to do this all since you have to press the button and wait for the voice instructions (are we calling her "Jill"?) and the beep to say your command for at least 9 steps. Definitely not the most efficient process.

Possibly other destination setting modes are less command-intensive, but I haven't tried them yet.

OK: if this is old hat, I'm sorry. I found this thread looking for this type of help, and was frustrated by the "advice" that was off the point: stop the car and do it by hand (what if you're on the freeway and cannot stop?), or: I have an 05 and override the lockout so I do it from the screen, or: why do you want to do that?, etc. I thought I should simply find out how to do what the original poster asked and then post it here.

Finally, let me say that I'm happy with my Prius, and Toyota makes a good product (I already own a Camry that my wife drives, and it's been one of the best cars we've owned). But: the manuals suck, plain and simple. Poorly written, hard to follow, repetitve, and clearly written or translated by a non-native speaker of English. I'm talking about both the owner's manual and the Nav manual here.

And of course the main thing: information you want and need is nowhere to be found. I really don't understand how anyone can make a voice recognition system without anywhere publishing on paper the commands it recognizes, or explaining how to use the voice commands.

Oh, and by the way: is there any way to get just a beep as the prompt for a voice command? Listening to Jill say what to do each time is bound to become tiring....

13. MarieH

MarieH New Member

Kimgh...thanks for explaining that! I've read the book, and it's still not making much sense about some things. I'll probably be posting questions of my own later, unless someone else asks them first!

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jwe8f @ Dec 29 2005, 05:25 PM) [snapback]180892[/snapback]</div>
    He specifically says 06 in the subject line of his message. :rolleyes:

Tom

15. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarieH @ May 21 2006, 07:56 PM) [snapback]259062[/snapback]</div>
    By the way, I should add (in case it wasn't clear) that the "scrolling map" mode that the system mentions is the map with a candidate destination displayed with the 8 arrows pointing out from it. That's when you can say "Set Destination".