1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Findings (mountain driving,windshield dirt)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Piotrus Pan, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi!
    I was thinking I could share some experience I had.
    I went to Switzerland for 2 weeks for vacation at the end of summer. Mainly off main roads driving and of course MOUNTAINS! 180 degrees turns, "snake" roads up the mountain. The highest point I drove to had about 2500m and snow :) .

What I found:
    -Suspension might squeak a bit on very tight turns (180 degrees). It's like driving on a high curb with just one wheel.

-Drive on Normal mode. Eco won't help here and will add noticeable lag when accelerating uphill.

-Consumption was very low, even though I wasn't shy of flooring the gas going uphill (made my peace with upcoming gas bill before I went on that vacation) so don't be scared to use the gas. I should add I had winter tires. I was tolled by my friend that there will be snow in the mountains and there was, a lot :)

-Cruise control does NOT have access to normal brakes! I was on a highway for a change, had my cruise control and was going downhill and the car couldn't slow down to the set speed. So the car can slow down as much as regenerative braking allows it.

-Not once the engine fan came on. Probably because it was 15 degrees C in the lower areas but still, that's a lot of work for an engine to climb.

With the windshield dirt:
    I get smudges, a lot, oily ones. Wiper fluid is basically colored water, at least I didn't find anything good. The only thing that could remove that oily dirt was a hand wash but I couldn't stop on the road to wipe the windows.
    Came up with an idea and I know people will say it's not the best idea but it works. Add a little of dish washer soap to the wiper fluid reservoir. I add around a tea spoon for my whole reservoir.

Hope some of this information will be helpful.

Cheers!

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks! sounds beautiful, no pics?:)