1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fined in LA for being too old

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, Apr 12, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

LA cop fines 82-year-old for crossing too slowly

Associated Press in Los Angeles
    Wednesday April 12, 2006
    The Guardian

Los Angeles police have defended an officer who issued a fine of $114 (£65) to an 82-year-old woman for crossing the road too slowly.
    Mayvis Coyle said she had been unable to finish crossing before the pedestrian light turned back to red, and a motorcycle officer told her she was obstructing traffic. On Friday, the green phase on the five-lane road also had younger pedestrians running to cross in time.

2. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sure sounds bad, but how slow was she? Is there no limit?

Let's say a quadriplegic tries to cross the road by dragging himself across with his chin. It takes him an hour to cross the road and traffic is blocked while he does it. Should that be allowed?

Perhaps she should have been in a wheel chair or one of those electric carts.

I think we need to know just how long she was taking to cross the road before we make a judgement on the officer.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps a few police officers need an attitude adjustment? Changing the timing of the lights wouldn't hurt, either.

4. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Five lanes is 60 feet, give or take. Walking half a mile an hour would take a bit less than 90 seconds (a minute and a half) to cross all five lanes.

If our crass world is so selfish it can't grant the infinitesimal trifle of 90 seconds to someone who needs it, and graciously, with a smile, our scale of values needs some serious readjustment.

The LAPD needs Jack Webb back. He'd've stopped his squad car and directed traffic by hand until she'd made it across the street, then tipped his cap to her before driving off to go shoot it out with a kidnapper.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

5. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Apr 12 2006, 12:37 PM) [snapback]238617[/snapback]</div>
    That day is long past. In today's selfish world we just might find ourselves just a few votes away from making it legal to run over anyone in your way.

6. imntacrook

imntacrook New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Apr 12 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]238617[/snapback]</div>
    Right on about Jack Webb! 99.9% of the time I automatically side with the cops, this happens to be the .1%

7. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jfschultz @ Apr 12 2006, 01:47 PM) [snapback]238626[/snapback]</div>
    Hell, they've got my vote. I'd just have to drive my Explorer with it's "pedestrian friendly" bumper more often! The red car next to it is a regular sized minivan...
    [​IMG]

8. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Apr 12 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]238617[/snapback]</div>
    Full agreement...

Anyone ever try to cross Queens Blvd. in NYC? You almost CAN'T, even if you obey the "walk" signals, it starts flashing WELL before you reach the other side. They started calling it the Boulevard of Death, and ultimately ended up changing the timing on all the lights...

9. jared2

jared2 New Member

I drive on Queens Blvd every day. I don't think I would dare cross it on foot.

See article:

Seniors walking targets: Crossing times on streets too short: report
    Daily News
    Oren Yaniv

Senior citizens of New York: Cross at your own risk.

The city's seniors make up a third of the city's pedestrian fatalities, even though they represent only 13% of the population, according to a study released yesterday.

Part of the problem: There simply isn't enough "walk" time for the average senior citizen to make it across safely.

Most of the city's crosswalks require pedestrians to walk 4 feet per second to get across before the light changes, according to the Transportation Alternatives study. Yet most senior citizens walk at an average pace of 3 feet per second.

"The city must give seniors more time to cross the street," said Amy Pfeiffer, a director at Transportation Alternatives.

Joseph Chaboty, 75, of Washington Heights, agrees. "The light changes too quickly and you have to walk faster," he said after struggling to cross Broadway and St. Nicholas Ave. at 168th St., one of the intersections featured in the study.

He said he has stayed safe so far by being extra-careful and added that many of his friends say they face a similar problem.

Indeed, slow crossing time is the number-one complaint in AARP surveys, said Nelson Peralta, of the Columbia Center for the Active Life of Minority Elders.

"The crossing at 168th and Broadway is a nightmare I see every day," he said.

That intersection includes a monstrous crossing of 12 lanes and two medians. The walk signal lasts a mere 30 seconds, making striding across a challenge even for the young and the fit.

Amy Housen, 60, who suffers from heart and knee ailments, needed two signal cycles to complete the crossing, as did many other pedestrians observed yesterday.

"Sometimes, I have to hold the cars so they'd let me cross," she said, demonstrating a "stop" gesture with her hand.

Half a minute is also the allotted time at 177th St. and Broadway, another surveyed junction. It's only a six-lane stretch, but turning vehicles and no medians make it dangerous.

The study looked at six intersections in four neighborhoods with a high concentration of elders. It recommends increased crossing time, more "walk" phases free from turning traffic and more pedestrian medians in neighborhoods with a large senior population, such as Washington Heights and Coney Island.

Department of Transportation spokesman Tom Cocola did not dispute the findings. "They definitely have a point," he said. "We'll take their specific requirements under advisement."

But he pointed out that seniors' slower pace has been factored in at Queens Blvd., Ocean Parkway and other main roads. He also noted that the pedestrian fatality rate in the city is at a 90-year low.

10. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    In today's Los Angeles Times:

11. Schmika

Schmika New Member

There are some things you just DO NOT DO......However, I want to k now if there is more to te story. What if the lady BEGAN to cross after the don't walk started flashing. We are all ASSUMING tat she was standing at the corner and began to cross as soon as it turned.

We have ALL seen the people who show up late and try to rush across.

That being said, if the officer saw her start when it went walk and she still did not make it....well, that was a bad call.

Lastly, other than in that small community.....it is no one elses business.

12. dipper

dipper Senior Member

Watch the power of AARP do its magic. ;)

When AARP is done with that cop, he will be an animal cop. :lol:

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It really does kinda depend on whether she started crossing near the beginning of the WALK cycle, or whether, as the cop claims, she began crossing after it started to flash DON'T WALK. Lots of folks believe the cop automatically. But I've been lied to enough by cops and other law-enforcement officers to know that cops are perfectly capable of lying.

Case in point: When I was in custody, charged with a misdemeanor, and decided not to answer what I considered inappropriate questions, and the cops told me that my silence constituted the felony of "withholding information." (They wanted the names of all my friends, supposedly so they'd know where to find me should I not show up for court.) They could hold me if they wanted. But they LIED when they told me that my remaining silent constituted a felony.

Case in point: I had been arrested on a different occasion for a misdemeanor. Some friends were detained for questioning. The cops told them they did not have the right to remain silent, because they were not charged with a crime. (The cops also told them that if they did remain silent they would be charged with a crime.) The cops were LYING. You ALWAYS have the right to remain silent, unless you are in court or testifying before a Grand Jury.

So we cannot assume the cop was telling the truth. More witnesses are needed.

14. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Apr 15 2006, 10:33 AM) [snapback]240153[/snapback]</div>
    Daniel, admit it....you ALWAYS automatically believe cops are lying. That is PATHETIC. Your examples are oversimplifications because the 5th amendment (right to silence) is NOT claimable if you are not charged with a crime. There are certain times when you CAN be charged with a crime for remaining silent.

It is also LEGAl for cops to lie under certain circumstances (like bluffing criminals, etc) I seem to remember you crime stuff is drug related. Well, I'll lie to druggies until the COW comes home. So sue me.

You know, I COULD be lying about the above....what's yer point.

WHY o WHY wold the officer need to LIE about an old lady crossing a street. Believe it or not, people who have been charged with a crime are 100% more likely to lie about it than the cop ever is.

And before you say the cop needs to lie to get some type of quota....there is PLENTy of crime to go around....I don't need to lie about it.

Your CHIP is pretty daggone heavy on your shoulder.

15. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Kids, calm down.

Think about it... everyone making comments on this has a bias. Lets turn down the heat and discuss this in a more level headed manner.

Nuff said.

16. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Some investigative reporting by a Los Angeles Times columnist:

P.S. Karl, the LAPD is notorious for its proliferation of lying police officers.

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Apr 15 2006, 05:19 PM) [snapback]240309[/snapback]</div>
    No, Karl, you are very much mistaken. Consult any lawyer. Every person ALWAYS has the right to remain silent, unless she / he is testifying in court or before a Grand Jury, in which case they may use the 5th Amendment protection against self-incrimination. No person is ever required to speak to a cop. It does not matter whether you are charged with a crime or not. If people were required to speak to the cops as long as they had not been charged with a crime, the cops could question people before charging them, and nobody would have any protection at all. Every person always has the right to remain silent when questioned by a cop or by anyone else. I am really quite shocked that you, a police officer, should be so abysmally ignorant of the law, especially on a matter so intimately connected with your normal daily duties.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Apr 15 2006, 05:19 PM) [snapback]240309[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it is legal for cops to lie (unless they are under oath in court). And your lies above and below (above, concerning the right to remain silent, and below, concerning the nature of my crimes) serve to weaken my trust in you. And BTW, I do NOT automatically assume that a cop is lying. I assume that a cop is human, and may therefore be good or bad, honest or dishonest, violent or peaceful, etc., etc., etc.
    This is a blatant, flat-out, libel, and I ask you to retract it! I have never been arrested for any drug-related offense. Every single one of my arrests has been for peaceful and respectful non-violent civil disobedience, connected with anti-nuclear protests.

18. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    "even if you obey the "walk" signals, it starts flashing WELL before you reach the other side."

Didn't this happen to Raymond in "Rain Man"? He stopped in the middle of the intersection because the walk sign changed so fast to don't walk.

This is just another sad chapter in our sad society. Go faster, leave the old behind, learn nothing...sheesh, why can't we slow down? What is it that we have evolved (or not evolved!) to accept the ever-increasing rush to end our lives. There has to be a better way...

19. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

This is a blatant, flat-out, libel, and I ask you to retract it! I have never been arrested for any drug-related offense. Every single one of my arrests has been for peaceful and respectful non-violent civil disobedience, connected with anti-nuclear protests.
    [/quote]

Thank you Daniel for trying to make this a better world by your obviously strongly held beliefs. I, too, have been imprisioned in federal penitentaries for demonstrating my beliefs against building and testing nuclear bombs. Those are the only times in my life I have been arrested, and I can tell you the abuse I and others I was with withstood was a real eye-opener into the mentality of law enforcement. They knew what we were there for, that we stood shoulder to shoulder in our determination and belief in non-violence so they sure took advantage of the fact they could severely mistreat us with no reprocussions. Both times they had a field day bashing heads knowing we pledged not to fight back, but to stand united in our beliefs. The whole experience changed my outlook on our political system, and cops (including my relatives who wear the uniform)! Through my personal experience i have come to believe as a group they are not the brightes bulbs in the room, rely on group mentality to get riled up and a code of silence to protect their own, and are not to be trusted as individuals to stand up and be counted to do the right thing. Is there an individual cop here and there out to do the right thing? of course statistics lean toward yes, but stats lie. There are cops, lawyers, and politicians all cut from the same cloth and it is a dangerous and untrustworthy weave, separate and apart from the general good that most humans are made of.

Lastly, and Daniel this applies to you as well as all others on PC: Those of us who regularily post lend the readers an insight into our personalities. When one regularily posts, one involuntarily exposes the nekkid truth of who they are. Regular readers can make this distinction and internally pass judgement on who they would like at their shoulder in case of an emergency. While most of us will never meet each other, we get the general vibe of who we are. When someone posts dishonest information about another poster we readers can 'read' thru the words and assimilate subconsiously our own opinions about the poster and take their future posts accordingly.