1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fingerprint anti-theft device for vehicles announced

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Tideland Prius, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Scottsdale, Arizona - SID Protect Inc. has announced the release of the SID, a fingerprint anti-theft device for vehicles. When SID is fitted to a vehicle, only those with fingerprints registered in the device can start the vehicle.

SID uses biometric fingerprint technology to ensure that only those people who have been authorized by the vehicle owner can operate the vehicle. Up to twenty users, plus the owner, can be stored in the device; the owner becomes the administrator, and is the only person able to add or delete users, or set or change the optional PIN number. Only people authorized by the owner can be enrolled in SID.

Read Full Article

2. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

The guys on myth busters took a few varieties of the 'casual' fingerprint reader things and tried to trick them.

More-or-less, they took a wine glass from the registered user. Within minutes they were cracking into every kind of fingerprint reader they had for test.

Which makes me think that technology probably won't catch on.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Fingerprint access on vehicles will not work in cold climes. Shoot, on many mornings in the winter, the first thing I do is knock the mound of snow off the handles. And if you think I'm going to take my gloves off and grab a cold handle, you're insane. It might work just fine in Arizona, but around here, maybe not.

p.s. I tried to pull that "it's biometric" when showing off the Smart Entry. The guy was fast though, because he asked what about when I'm wearing gloves.