1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FireEngineer's HyperMileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by TonyPSchaefer, Jul 18, 2006.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So I pulled up to Grossinger Toyota and who's already there? Wayne and Teresa. And what's the first thing Wayne says to me?

A. Great to see you.
    B. Did you have problems find the place?
    C. Do you have any sunscreen?
    D. None of these.

That's right! Wayne failed to greet me or ask about my drive. Rather, he asked to borrow my camera so he could take pictures of his MFD. But once he explained why, I understood. And I think you will too.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 18 2006, 08:05 PM) [snapback]288517[/snapback]</div>
    Master!

3. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    C'mon, admit there is photo shop involved! :D

I guess I could do that if I towed it with my other car uphill and then coasted downhill!

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Niiice!

mssmith95, you do realise that that is nowhere near the posted mileage of the Japanese Prius (that's 28.6km/L whereas it's rated at 35km/L).

5. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 18 2006, 09:33 PM) [snapback]288545[/snapback]</div>
    I know, I was just kidding.

Wow, it sure would be great to get that kind of mileage! I get around 52-54 on average...but I am all over the place (I drive 28k miles per year, around 80% freeway).

6. troe

troe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 18 2006, 10:05 PM) [snapback]288517[/snapback]</div>
    Simply Outstanding! ;)

7. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wayne asked me to send the photos (he took 2) to him so he could post it on the "Beat the EPA" thread. I feared that if appending an existing thread it might not get noticed.

I know his driving conditions: he lives and works in Chicago. Not Chicagoland, like I do, but the city of Chicago. He drives in rush-hour, on interstate, on at-grade highways. This mileage is super-outstanding because it was not done on a test track or in ideal conditions or in a lab. For all those reasons, I felt a new thread was in order.

8. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Somebody with too much time and money on their hands (and a car hauling flatbed would help too) should find a segment of road that slopes enough to basically coast 40 or 50 miles at a time. Haul the prius to the top, hypermile on the way down, haul it back up, repeat... 30 or so times until you have about 1500 miles on a tank.

I think the east slope of the rockies coming into denver could do the trick.

You'd burn a ton of gas in the flatbed, but think of the picture you could get from the MFD!!!!

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jul 19 2006, 06:04 AM) [snapback]288610[/snapback]</div>
    A thing of beauty is a joy to behold for ever. I can think of a number of ways to dry lab, the Prius. I am the past master, never caught, not even suspected. Organic one and 2. Quantitative Analysis, Quant and Qual Organic. Never equaled, never beaten always 1-2 % above or below the actual published data for the reaction. God Bless the Library and the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. Trust no one!

10. vikingrob

vikingrob New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jul 19 2006, 08:04 AM) [snapback]288610[/snapback]</div>
    Maybe I-80 from Wendover to Salt Lake would be a better choice.

11. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Let me get this straight: only 90 degrees, and all that whining ?!?

j/k ;) I *know* how humid it gets in chicagoLand in the summer.

I've never hit > 700 miles on a tank. 690 was the longest so far. I think this tank might make it though. I think I started with a fullish tank, and am now at 550 miles, 66.7 mpg on the MFD, and over two bars of fuel remaining.

Nice driving, Wayne !

12. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nice job on the miles. Yesterday, I had about 40 minutes to kill and I drove a 2.5 mile loop where there was hardly any traffic and I averaged about 92 mpg over the 28 miles. I have been learning a lot on this forum and for the last 200 miles of this tank I have been getting around 75 mpg. My mfd shows 65.5 mpg over 500 miles and I still have three pips left. With what I have learned, I should be able to go 800 miles on my next tank.

I took a picture of yesterday's consumption screen with almost all 100 mpg segments; I will try to figure out how to post it.

Thanks,

Chris

13. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Chris,

I hope you know not to presume 12.8 gallons in the tank (or whatever the rated capacity is) at fillup. The time I ran out of gas, I put in 11.03 gallons, the most ever.

I might drive 20 or 30 miles after my the car beeps to put in fuel, but no more. I don't think it is worth running dry.

14. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree with you; as this is my second tank and I am very unaware of the actual capacity of my tank. On my first tank, I went 10 miles after the last fuel pip started blinking and put 10.792 gallons in the tank. If I don't hit 700 miles this tank, oh well. I'll try again next tank before winter. I'm not doing anything other than anticipating traffic and using the p&g technique.

When I had time to kill, I really pushed the no arrow glide. That would be truly impossible to use in everyday driving as my speed varied from 28-40 mph.

Like I said, the last five days of regular driving have yielded numbers in the low to mid 70's. We shall see. I'm just glad I am not using premium fuel and getting 15.5 mpg like I do in my other car that is for sale.

Thanks,

Chris

15. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VABeachPrius @ Jul 22 2006, 12:07 PM) [snapback]290497[/snapback]</div>
    Aww cmon and admit it: you are pushing the car up hills ;) :)

16. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Whatever it takes to save $0.16 of gas a day. :D

17. BVISAILMAN

BVISAILMAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius Fuel tank holds 11.9 gallons. I also ran out of fuel once and it took 11.5 gallons. I doubt you would ever get that much in your tank though I learned that the last several bars disappear much faster then in the first half of the tank. I NOW fill up with two - to three bars left. I don't care how far I go in a tank of gas only what the mileage is.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know. The second half lasts longer per bar for me. In the summer, I get 50kms per bar (after the first bar). Once past halfway, I get 80kms to the bar.

19. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Jul 21 2006, 07:43 PM) [snapback]290235[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, 90 degrees - at 11:45 AM! When I left after 3:00 my MFD showed 100'F on the parking lot. But since my mileage wasn't nearly as impressive (53.1 mpg, even with A/C) I didn't take a picture.

Tony - how do you get the average temps for your spreadsheet - is that from the paper?
    (I'm thinking I might borrow your spreadsheet format and plug in my own numbers, maybe just add a column, see how things come out.)

20. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actually, I open Weather.com and go to the "Month" view. Then I create three columns on a seperate spreadsheet: date, high temp, and low temp. For each day in the time period of my tank, I enter the high and low temps. Then I create an average and that's what I use. I realize that it's not completely scientific accurate since I didn't actually drive my car during the lowest low or the highest high. But then again, you can't prove that I didn't. ;)

As far as I'm concerned, it's close enough for me since I'm not a scientist.