1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Firefox Help: Not Loading Images

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TonyPSchaefer, Mar 20, 2005.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I hope someone can help me. I enjoy using Ff but recently I've noticed that on some pages the images are not loading. On some, such as Google Maps, the images (in this case the map) do not load at all. On others, I've seen that some images load while others do not.

I've uninstalled every extension on the thoughts that one of them was blocking images, but no luck. I checked the options, specifically the "Load Images | For originating site" one but again no luck.

Has anyone experienced this behavior?
    More importantly, does anyone know how to fix it?

2. jeepien

jeepien Member

You should NOT check the "for originating site only" box. That will prevent display of images unless they have the same URL as the original page. Any "off-site" images will be suppressed.

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For easy reference, open a new Tab with Control+T

In the location bar type: about:config

In the Filter bar type: image (No “sâ€)

[you will then see the items below . . . with the possible exception of the 4th line (I think that may be my tabbed browser extensions) ]

advanced.always_load_images_______________default / boolean / true
    browser.display.show_image_placeholders_____default / boolean / true
    browser.enable_automatic_image_resizing_____default / boolean / true
    browser.tabs.extensions.allowImages.enabled__default / boolean / true
    dom.disable_image_src_set________________default / boolean / false
    image.animation_mode____________________default / string / normal
    images.dither____________________________default / string / auto
    network.image.imageBehavior____________ __default / integer / 0
    network.image.warnAboutImages____________default / boolean / false

Tab back and forth to compare. If any of the values are not the same, highlight that line (on the about:config page), right click, then either “toggle†or “modify†will show as an option. Toggle or replace then exit. Restart browser then try.

Good luck.

P.S. Good luck trying this in I.E. :p NACIH!

4. bcool

bcool New Member

Tony,

I've been having the same problem the last couple of days and (at least in my case) I think it's been because there's been some network router problems on the internet. I've had difficulty connecting to a lot of sites, and it finally degraded to the point on Sunday night where I couldn't get to any site.

I experienced what you were talking about (images not loading) and I noticed it was because the text from the page was being loaded from the cache on my computer but the images were (trying to be) retrieved from the website. Since I couldn't be directed to the site, the images didn't load.

If you haven't done anything lately to Firefox, I would suspect this is your problem, not a configuration one.

Just my $.02....

5. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's clearly something I've done at home. Or it truly is a routing issue with my dial-up connection or my service provider. Though I can't fathom why IE works and Ff does not. Here at work, though, everything's fine.

For example, the thread in which someone introduces Google Maps I posted that it must not work with Ff because I was getting nothing. That was at home. In a follow-up post from work I said that everything's fine. But then it worked again and now it's not again.

Jeepien, I made sure the originating site option was unchecked. Thanks.
    Patrick, thanks for posting the values.

I'll check it all over at home.

6. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    After several months struggling with this Ff problem, I finally gave up and went back to IE. It seemed to occur repeatedly on some sites (such as Costco.com) but IE would always load all images promptly. Has to be something to do with how Ff handles image downloads. I found that I was switching back to IE so often that I finally just made it my default browser again. The Tab browsing was nice but not worth the hassle...

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I doubt this is it -- cut are you using ZoneAlarm, or some other 3rd party firewall/privacy tool?

I've had similar things happen on some sites, and it turned out that the way the web site was displaying images was interperted by Firefox as ads -- and the images would be blocked.

Again, probably not it. I've been using Firefox for several months now (on both Windows and Linux systems), and have no complaints whatsoever.

8. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had the same problem the last few weeks. A site I go to, www.extremetech.com was loading images fine before but now their not there. Wonder if it has to do with the recent update. Went from FF 1.0 to FF1.0.1. Wonder if thats it? :roll: Could always check the forums at FF for help.

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Cool web site! I bookmarked it. Thanks Rick57.

Extreme Tech loaded just fine for me in FF 1.0.1 . . . so y’allz problem is probably elsewhere.

10. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy\";p=\"74331)</div>
    That's one of my start pages in FF (open 2 tabs when starting)and also IE. I must have some setting changed since the update? :roll:

11. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Patrick, et all;
    Please check the following config line:
    You say. . .
    dom.disable_image_src_set________________default / boolean / false

Mine says:
    dom.disable_image_src_set________________default / boolean / true
    or
    dom.disable_image_src_set________________user_set / boolean / false

Double clicking toggls between the two but never to the configuration that you exemplify. Is this a problem?

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hey TonyP,

I don’t know why your default is different, but
    dom.disable_image_src_set_____ refers to allowing Javascript to change images.

If you toggle to false then your status will show user set. No harm in that.

If you haven’t already - try clearing your Cache. Tools > Options > Privacy

If worse comes to worse, FF 1.0.2 is due out this week if the release candidate testing continues to goes well.

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i have had issues with occasional images not loading but i right click on it, choose show image and refresh the original page and then i can see it.

i would like to know if there is an easy setting i can add as this can be a hassle

14. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    All better now. Didn't have to reinstall or anything.

I think there were two different settings on two different computers. I find that interesting but well within the realms of possibility.

On the first computer, I toggled the "dom.disable_image_src_set" setting and everything worked fine.

On the second computer, both the "dom.disable" and the "network.image.imageBehavior" had been changed so I toggled the first and changed the latter value to "0".

One thing I found out: if you uninstall AdBlock and then reinstall it, all the settings remain. I went to some sites hunting ads to block and to my surprise none were shown and they were all listed. Cool.

Thanks to all for your input.

15. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will have to try that later. I tried uninstalling FF and then going and installing fresh. No luck. On desktop now and will try the setting later on my laptop, it has FF and IE. Desktop just has IE right now, to much to try and educate the family on using it. They don't like to dig into it like me :lol:

16. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rick57\";p=\"74791)</div>
    Hopefully you installed FF1.0.2 . . . as I said earlier, it was due out sometime this week . . . well, sometime is here! :eek:

FF 1.0.2 is available. :)

17. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No it was till 1.0.1 this morning ( about 7:00 am) .May look into that in a minute, need to get out laptop yet.

18. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    OOPS!!!
    The 1.0.2 release was Thunderbird . .. the email program. :oops: :oops: :oops:

After further digging, it looks like the next major FF release won’t be till June. It will be 1.1 :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

19. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok Patrick, I found my problem. I had Load Images and For Original Site Only check marked. After unchecking the box for Original Site Only ( still have box checked for Load Images) now I have my images back. I think I check marked it a few weeks ago, don't remember why tho. :oops:

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Boy did I hork that all up!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

FF 1.0.2 has now been released. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/re...ases/1.0.2.html

I have no idea what I was reading and then not and then and not. :oops:

I kind of feel like John Kerry . . . I voted for a release of FireFox 1.0.2 before I voted against it, but now I am for it. :oops: :oops: :oops: :roll: