1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Firestone local customer skills

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by hill, Oct 2, 2007.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The local Firestone Service Center had a $9.95 coupon for an oil change (including disposal fee). After giving the coupon to the rep, he tells me I have to use 5W-30 but the coupon is only for 10W-30 …. and that it’d void our warranty if he used the “wrong†oil. Thus he has to charge me $29 (so … that’s how they justify maybe an extra 45 cents per quart??) I pulled out the maintenance book (page 238) to show him that he’s wrong … that 5W-30 is “best†for cold weather … and that So. Cal’s 65 degree mornings make the 10W-30 perfectly acceptable, as it states in the manual. Being caught in a bait n switch in front of a room full of customers, he got so upset he ushers me out, telling me, “I’m not changing your oilâ€. Wow, real people skills. So the Prius went a few blocks away for the same price … another coupon … at the local Shell station. I know the Firestone Centers are individually owned, but I’m wondering if Corporate will even care. I wrote to them anyway. Anyone else had funky treatment from Firestone? We’ve always been treated nice by the folks at the other Firestone Center in our city.

2. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    From everything I've heard about Firestone dealers, I wouldn't trust one to clean my windshield, never mind do anything under the hood (or, Allah forbid, use their tires).

3. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Another reason to change your own oil, and rotate your own tires. I had a tread separation on two Firestones, back in the 70's and never found a reason to go back to them for anything.

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was all set to pay a few hundred dollars for repairs on my 199 Kia Sephia at my favorite Firestone, until a last-minute rediagnosis determined that the problem was a bad ignition wire that only cost $15. I've trusted them for service ever since.

I bought a Lifetime Alignment for the Prius there, but it's annoying to sit and wait for it every 10,000 miles since everybody seems to come in on Saturday morning for maintenance work...

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Oct 2 2007, 04:26 PM) [snapback]520484[/snapback]</div>
    We ALMOST bought our lifetime warranty from them just a few days ago, from the other Firestone Center in our city ... but after being soured by the bait n switch coupon, AND the fact that Corporate never even bothered to return our call or answer our email complaint, we decided to just stay clear of the whole organization. I'm thinking with unanswered issues like poor tire manufacturing controls, and dishonest independent contractors, they'll go belly up right after we paid for a lifetime alignment and get zero for our money.

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    a couple of friends had a bunch of work done to their mazda at a local firestone. 3k miles later DH was initially SURE the timing belt wasn't done, but upon further investigation found they used such a cheap, crappy part that it was showing more wear in 3k miles than oem belts show in 60k...

he had worked for a firestone-owned shop back when i was in college, and they were some unethical mofos over there... fired him on christmas eve for refusing to charge a nice old lady for a bunch of stuff that she didn't need. then recorded it as "he stopped coming in to work"... yeah because they told him not to come back!

:rolleyes: