1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First 2,000 Kms

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Titch_Ryan, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Titch_Ryan

Titch_Ryan New Member

The first 2,000 Kms. Further to my post regarding my initial impressions of my new Prius, here are my results after 2,200 kms. Of greatest interest I imagine, are the fuel consumption figures. All the following were obtained with tyre pressures set at 38 psi front, and 36 psi rear. Cruise control was used as much as possible, and the A/C was left on AUTO all the time.

16 FEB 5.6 l/100 km, 519 kms, 50.44 mpg (Imperial), 42.0 mpg (US)
    23 FEB 5.1 l/100 km, 531 kms, 55.39 mpg (Imperial), 46.12 mpg (US)
    01 MAR 5.2 l/100 km, 548 kms, 54.32 mpg (Imperial), 45.23 mpg (US)
    08 MAR 5.2 1/100 km, 592 kms, 54.32 mpg (Imperial), 45.23 mpg (US)

The trip computer is reset at each fill-up. Most journeys are around 40 kms each way on mountain roads, no motorway/autoroutes, and during the initial period, road speed was no higher than 100 km/hr, (62 mph).

What do I like? Quiet operation, silence and refinement; positive steering with exactly the right
    amount of assistance; light and sensitive brake operation; superb continuosly variable transmission; (I don't miss the rev/lurch - rev/lurch of a conventional epycyclic auto box at all!); seat comfort; excellent visibility.

What do I dislike? Somewhat obstructed rear view; virtually useless parking assist; positioning of the rear windscreen wiper seems wrong for RHD vehicle, leaves an unswept area in driver's view; fiddly wiper controls; (Oh how I miss the auto wipers and self-dimming electro-chromic rear-view mirror of my Jaguar)

Intelligent Parking Assist - This option is both expensive and, so far, largely useless. I find that unless the road surface is dead smooth and level; the target location lane markings of high contrast; and the vehicle almost perfectly positioned to start with, then the operation is disengaged for one reason or another. Certainlly if the vehicle is not almost perfectly positioned, then adjusting the target location can be a fiddly and time consuming operation, and not one to try out in a busy supermarket car park! The rear mounted TV camera is useful, and its limit markings accurate, but at over 6,000 Euro, this is an expensive rear-view TV camera, if this is all it can do. Currently Toyota (Ireland) are investigating, as they feel that it should work reasonably well - more to follow. Here I also have to admit that Toyota are taking this seriously, and have been most sympathetic, I certainly cannot fault them for their attention to customer comments.

The fairly extreme slope of the tailgate results in considerable optical distortion through the glass, and in addition, the spoiler bar across the lower part tends to obstruct the view - you simply have to take care. In my case, the pivot point of the rear screen wiper is on the lower left hand side looking from the rear, which gives a swept area that is perfect for a LHD car, but is much less satisfactory for a RHD vehicle, as there is a significant unswept area on the right hand side of the screen. To improve this I have fitted a longer wiper blade, 500 mm versus the standard 400 mm and whilst this helps, it is not the optimum solution. I wonder why Toyota did not move the pivot point to the lower right hand side for RHD vehicles?

2. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Adrian Ryan @ Mar 8 2007, 01:48 PM) [snapback]402323[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with most of this although I can't comment on the intelligent parking as it isn't installed in my 2005.
    I've been told that the traffic density is far lower on Irish roads than in s. England. If this is true I wonder if it has a bearing on your mpg figures, which seem quite good to me, and may be better in the summer, especially if you turn off the a/c.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not bad. Keep up the good mileage. You'll be the 5.0L/100km soon.

Your observation about the rear wiper is odd. We're complaining about it for LHD vehicles lol. The reason is that when the wiper wipes, there's a large area that isn't wiped (we get the shorter wiper).

Also, we get auto-dimming mirrors... Ireland doesn't?