1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First 2 days in HOV lane...Observations.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by subarutoo, Mar 7, 2006.

1. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Having just received my stickers, I tried the HOV lanes yesterday and today, didn't see any evil stares from SUV types...so far. My mileage dropped from 50-51 to 47-48 for the same trip. 45 miles each way, moderate hills 210 Freeway thru Pasadena Ca. I usually cruise with traffic, or a little above speed. I was held up by two slower drivers in the HOV (not hybrids). I had nobody behind me last night and got behind an old Saturn on the 118 at 54 mph. I passed him on the right and gave him my best SUV type stare :angry: . Today, it was 3 dudes in a Toyota Pickup putting along at 62 mph. I'm not sure if the 3-4 mpg penalty is worth all the extra hassle and new type etiquitte required for HOV use. Traffic was fairly light, with no major incidents so I don't know how much time I saved. My guess is not more than 5 minutes on my 1 hr. commute. Is it worth it? :huh:

2. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, depends on how much your time is worth.

It can save me up to 30 minutes each way (depending on the times I go).
    A week ago, big rainstorm in So. California, and had to get from one job at 4pm to another before 5pm and before eveyone went home. Everything was gridlocked.
    It would have taken over an hour to 1 1/2 hours to travel 22 miles.

But , wah-la, with the Carpool lane it took less than 22 minutes (even slowing down from the rain). And I made the other place with plenty of time to spare.