1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First 500 miles on my 09 Prius... observation/question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by edzinru, Mar 12, 2009.

1. edzinru

edzinru New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Driving highway speeds this weekend using cruise control. Speed limit 55. Set cruise to 62. Going down somes hills my speed might get up to 70 + mph. Never had this problem with another auto. Wondering if anyone else has noticed this with the Prius.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, because cruise control only controls your minimum speed, not maximum speed. So if you are on an incline and the car is gaining speed due to gravitational pull, cruise control will not take any action to slow the car down.

If you have not had this problem with another automobile, this is because the combination of wind resistance and drivetrain braking in your other vehicles resulted in sufficient drag to more than offset any vehicle acceleration caused by gravitation pull.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends. Sometimes, I've had it speed up, other times, I've had it hold the speed and engine brake to slow down (which means if the hill is steep enough, you're gonna gain speed anyway).

4. magruder

magruder Average Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I haven't used cruise much, if you switch to B mode will that cancel your cruise? If not, you could use B on steep hills to slow yourself down temporarily.

5. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As far as I can tell, having driven and had 3 Toyota's with cruise control in our family (04 Avalon, 05 Tundra, 08 Prius) this is a normal thing.

If I know a downgrade is coming up, I'll cut my speed down a little just so I'm not completely flying at the bottom. i.e. The hill on 163 South into downtown from Clairmont/Linda Vista in SD. If I am cruising at 65, at the bottom with no braking, I end up at 77 or 80. For this, I tried this once...moving to the right, slowing to 55, then as soon as the hill starts, take off cruise control and let it glide down. It usually doesnt get past 70.