1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First 855 mile road trip

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by toyplug, Apr 2, 2012.

1. toyplug

toyplug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I live in Orlando Florida so you can imagine the excitement when my dealer in New Port News, Virginia called and said my plugin had arrived. I booked a flight for the next day and picked up the car Saturday Mar 31. I arrived at the airport around 9:00 am and my sales person Brenda Robertson from Pearson Toyota picked me up. I left the dealership around 11:30am heading for Florida with a full charge and a full tank of gas. That 13.1 miles on a full charge sure didn't last long. For the first 100 miles I drove around 70mph and averaged 72mpg. It is amazing how the car seems to like keeping the mpg up as much as I do. I finally realized I was never going to get home if I kept playing arround. I cranked it up to 78 mph and averaged 58mpg for the trip. I drove all night and charged the car while I slept for a couple of hours. We have hundreds of charging stations from Coulomb here in Orlando so I drove all over the place yesterday on EV power alone. I am averaging 215mpg in town so far. I guess that does'nt mean much since you probably could
    achieve 999 mpg with short hops to charging stations. Bottom line, This car is more amazing than the first gen Prius was over all the other fuel efficient Hybrids of it's day. The car has exceeded my expectations so far. Your probably are wondering " Why didn't this idiot truck the car to Florida". Good question, I thought to myself, how car I break in an Ice engine if I'am running around in EV mode all the time"? This car will be the real trail blazer to plug in use being a normal way of life. Not needing a charging station at home with the 110v plug in charger that it comes with is huge. Hope this helps.

toyplug

2. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yay! Post some pics of your ride.

3. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Congrats and enjoy the ride!

4. RickThom1

RickThom1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congratulations on your new ride. I was at Pearson, in Newport News (just two words, not three), yesterday afternoon, and was surprised to see that they were open on Sunday, at least there were a couple of salesmen working. Driving back from Pearson to the local Home Depot, about 5-6 miles, I averaged 73.6 mpg on my Prius III, and 78.4 mpg from the Home Depot back home, a short drive of 3-4 miles. I have had my Prius for about five weeks now, and I can honestly say that I am just as excited about it today as I was the day I bought it from Pearson. It is a fun car to drive, and unlike all the other new cars that I have owned (I'm 67 years old), the novelty has yet to wear off. I hope you have many, many more miles of enjoyment out of your new "C", and by the way, there were NONE (C's) on the lot yesterday!

5. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats!

Ditto what Rick has said. I have had my 2012 Prius 2 for about five weeks here as well. Looking forward to two road trips next week. Easter weekend in Lebanon Pa and then later in the week a trip to the DE shore.

6. samsdad

samsdad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm curious. What does it cost there when you charge it at a commercial station? Mile-to-mile, is it cheaper than if you were just paying $4 per gallon and getting 50 MPG? I'm waiting on delivery of my PIP in Calif. thx