1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First and consecutive oil changes

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by mrbigh, Apr 22, 2012.

1. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    When are you people expecting to have your first oil changed and where?
    Will you take advantage of Toyota's service dealers free oil service?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yep, I'll just do 10k at the dealer for free. And if I have a day off during the week when I. Am around 5k I'll do the free tire rotation then. But I will be specific I want nothing more than what is free, period.

3. ChipL

ChipL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I plain on taking to task on any dealer tha wants to cut costs..

4. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    With "ToyotaCare", which is included (at Least it was at my dealership), you get up to 2 years or 25,000 miles free oil changes (whichever comes first, for me it would be close on either), so my dealer suggests every 5,000 miles, even though with the zero weight synthetic oil now being used, you only NEED to get it done every 10,000 miles. Once the 2 years are up, I will be on the 10K per change schedule, which for me is about 8 months (15K miles per year)

5. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    But you only get the oil change free twice during that period, at 10k and 20k. The 5k, 15k and 25k are basically tire rotations. ToyotaCare is a nice thing but with 10k oil changes, it's more of a way for some dealerships to 'find' things you need and see if you'll pay for em'.

6. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also, it is Toyota that is providing the first two years' service, to all buyers. You don't have to buy from a specific dealer to get it. However, when my daughter was shopping for her 2011 Prius, to make the sale the dealer offered to extend her Toyota Care plan to 30K miles. That should get her one extra oil change, along with engine air and cabin filters, which is a good thing. If a dealer wants to do something that is not listed in the recommended services from Toyota, he is going to want to charge you for it, as only those in the list are covered by the Toyota plan.

7. TruSound

TruSound Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'll do my first at 5k, considered 2500 but the oil looks very fresh, subsequent changes will be either 7500 or 10k depending on how the oil looks, all basic service I perform myself, I try my best to keep my vehicles as far away from the dealership monkeys as possible.

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I just did the first oil change last week at 10,000. I don't care if it's free, I'd just rather check out everything myself.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    afaik, i didn't get any free service. since i won't be putting much mileage on the engine, i'm thinking of changing it every spring. that's what i have always done on low mileage vehicles.

10. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If your dealer didn't tell you about ToyotaCare you better call them bisco, it comes with it. Get what is yours and free.

Both my father and I got a brochure in the mail last week about it, explanations etc tailored for us with VINS etc after both buying a PiP. Maybe you'll get something in the mail soon too.

11. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Not according to my dealer, but I will double check with them when I get the actual service done (1st service is already scheduled for the end of August, they do that when they sell you the car, and then send out reminder emails/calls), if they are scheduling me for evey 5,000 miles, and not covering the oil change, then there won't be an oil change every 5,000 miles :)

12. pwryan

pwryan New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With some new vehicles an initial oil change is recommended early. Is this not the case with the Prius? In other words, they do not recommend one sooner than 10K?

13. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Many manufacturers recommend later oil changes nowadays.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks P, i'll look into it. you've had yours about a month longer than me so i'll give it some time and then contact them. is it in the contract?

15. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  16. calbear

calbear Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Now here's an interesting question... should you go on total vehicle miles (OD) or total engine miles? At my current rate of 33% EV, when my overall OD hits 10k, I'll have only used the ICE for about 6600 miles...

17. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I honestly don't know, other than paying the price I know I agreed upon at the end I don't read all the contract crap, bad I know. I'm wanting to say Toyota Care is for all new Toyotas though so it should most definitely have it. I'd just call the delaership for the hell of it and confirm it, I'm willing to bet they will say yes no problem.

Now that I think about it, about a week after I bought the car Toyota even called my home phone asking for 2 minutes to do a quick survey about buying my PiP and one question was did the dealership tell me about Toyota care and explain it. Mine didn't explain it but asked if I knew and laughlingly said yes. They don't waste time explaining these things to me since they know I know more about the car than them. I had the VIn before they did in their computer system so at this point they don't bother me with 'nonsense' that they may do to other people.

18. oldasdust

oldasdust Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Take the" free" maintance. That has been figured into the price as 3 years 36 thousand mile warranty is in every vehicle. Now if something were to happen durring the first 25 thousand miles it can't be blamed on me when the car was only serviced at the dealership. Also it gives me the chance to check out the dealership while i wait ie. talking with other customers and listening when the service writer finds them in the lounge ,about a problem they may have found along with the sales pitch for extra services needed or recomended.The lounge is there so you can be all comfortable and relaxed when they hit you with the real sales pitch to loosen up your wallet. You thought the lounge was there because they really love their customers right. WRONG.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mark, i'll check with them, thanks!

20. Conrad

Conrad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think a lot of commenters do their own labor. That's great because all the stuff your dealer tries to sell you is not needed. I change my oil religiously every 20 to 25k miles using syntetic oil. Keep my vehicles till 150k plus miles, never had a problem and had a bunch of vehicles since I'm 70. Only thing I have ever done to my 2005 Prius(139k miles) where rear shocks. Boy, that job was a learning curve for me.