1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First "big" trip in the Prius...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rancid13, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We've taken the Prius to the Bay area and back once, and to Mammoth Lakes/Yosemite a few times, but they're "only" about 700-800 miles roundtrip.

Tomorrow morning the husband, baby and I are packing ourselves and all our "stuff" into Max and heading up to the Portland, OR area.

I'm looking foward to finding out what kind of mileage I get on a truly long trip....

:D

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, be sure to wave Hi towards Washington state while you are up here :D
    Enjoy the trip! You will enjoy it, I am sure :)

3. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Jul 31 2007, 03:19 PM) [snapback]488341[/snapback]</div>
    Will do! May visit the Columbia River Gorge while we're there so we'll be just across the river from WA! It's been about 15 years since I last visited the area (with the exception of a 1-night stay in Portland). I have lots of family there so we've spent many summers in OR.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    have fun, Rancid! we always enjoy the drive up north (aside from the long haul thing), which is over 1000 miles each way. i'm sure your prius will do just fine on your long trip.

how's the little guy doing anyway?

5. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jul 31 2007, 03:44 PM) [snapback]488353[/snapback]</div>
    He's doing great! I can't believe we're already at ~8 months already! And it's not the Prius I'm worried about, I know he'll do just fine. It's the baby...he's never been in the car for more than 2 hours straight. :eek:

6. Rancid13

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Back from Oregon. Here are some #'s:

2664 total miles travelled
    44.8 average miles per gallon
    42.6 lowest mpg segment (somewhere along CA-99 or I-5, avg 80-90mph)
    48.4 highest mpg segment (Tualatin, OR to Rockaway Beach, OR avg 45-55mph)
    172.40 amount spent on gas for the whole trip (I still have 1/2 a tank left)
    19.19 average cost per fill-up
    0.06 cost per mile to make the trip (I think I calculated it correctly. :huh: I'm bad at math)

2 adults

1 baby in large car seat

Pliko P3 stroller, folded

Booster seat

Beco baby carrier

Diaper bag

Hard plastic camera case (large)

Soft sided camera case (medium)

2 insulated coolers

Electric pump

2 pillows

2 blankets

Boppy pillow

Portable dvd player (affixed to rear passenger seat; plugged into armrest console)

4 beach towels

1 water floatie for baby

1 large duffel bag

1 medium duffel bag

2 small duffel bags

Backpack with books, magazines, phone/camera chargers

1 briefcase (laptop & accessories carrier)

Medium sized tote bag filled with toys

Activity/play mat

Small bag filled with bottles, baby food, baby snacks, utensils, dishes

Purse

Filled the armrest console with snacks
    And a partridge in a pear tree. Just kidding. I think I got everything.

Even with everything in the Prius, we still had a seat in the back that was clear for sitting (great for when one of us sat back there to entertain the kid on occasion) and nothing was stacked higher than the seatbacks so my rear view was still completely unobstructed. I wish now I'd gotten a picture of the car with all the stuff in and with all the stuff next to it on the ground. Perhaps I'll do that when we head to Mammoth/Yosemite next month and we'll have pretty much all the same stuff to bring along with us.

The baby did just fine. He made the best of long hours in the carseat with minimal complaints, thanks in part to the Baby Einstein videos he got to watch en route and constant entertaining by one of us. We did stop every few hours so he could eat, be changed and stretch out/roll around on a blanket on the grass.

Hubby became even more infatuated with my Prius when he saw the additional storage compartment in the hatch. He really wants one now, but it doesn't make sense for him to get rid of his 04 Accord and get a new(er) car.

7. PapayaMom

PapayaMom New Member

Great trip!

Sounds a lot like what we pack into ours - and with regular long trips (on the mainland) we find that our 2 1/2 year old does better and better even without a DVD player!