1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First blink to out of gas. Single datum

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ammiels, Mar 1, 2005.

1. ammiels

ammiels New Member

I finally decided my local Toyota repair might have done enough filler neck cum MFD exchanges to trust them with my mfg 9/03 Deyo. I am not a real control freak, but the previous vagueness was annoying, especially when I can get gas at $.40/gal less at a place I go to about once a week. I took a 1g jerrycan with me and ran the tank out after a complete fillup. It has been cold here and I have been getting 44-46 MPG lately. From first blink to pin-ball display was 67.9 mi. I was able to comfortably turn off the road, up Costco's drive and park without problem and put in my gallon. Car started later without problem except there were a few lights. Nearby gas up was 9.5g, a record for me. Startup relieved all my lighting problems. I was told by a Toyota U. professor 11/03 that running out of gas causes no harm. If you do not then abuse the HV battery.

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hmmm, that would suggest I'm not getting my tank all the way full, at 44 MPG you presumably had used 10.36 gallons when the light started to blink.

On the occasions I got to blinking I got gas a few (< 10) miles later. The most I ever put in was 9.8, usually more like 9.5 or 9.6. I do try to fill it without tempting "spitback" and the pump is fussing at me as I push to get at least as much as I have used (based on MFD MPG). Mine was made after the range that suffered from the filler neck, etc problems and has been fairly consistent.

Not complaining mind you, just making an observation. :)

3. ammiels

ammiels New Member

The *new* filler neck lacks to tight "O" ring at the inlet so it does not build up pressure while filling, ergo no more vomitting than the rest of the cars in the world. One can no longer add another gallon from fuel shut off, maybe round to next $.25.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Not true. I don't qualify for the gas tank replacement, I have gotten the spitback, the O ring does seem tight, and I can get an extra gallon after first click off.

5. pkjohna

pkjohna Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    With my 04 I never had a problem getting 9 or 10 gallons in for a fill up once I learned to ignore the blinking bar and push to 10 time the tank mpg as displayed by the MFD. By contrast with my 05 the gas gauge seems to be more accurate; on my first tank I drove about 10 times the tank mpg before the last bar started blinking. Then I went to fill the tank and had the infamous problems of premature auto-shutoff and spit-back after coaxing another couple of gallons in. I haven't risked the spit-back since that first time so now I only manage to pump about 8 gallons in even when I try to top it off after removing the nozzle for a few seconds after the initial cutoff.

6. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When does the last bar even start blinking? Even with all my miles, I'm pretty quick to fill up even at two bars, so I've never seen the bar blink.

7. ammiels

ammiels New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"68323)</div>
    Not so fast with the blue pencil, prof. If you have any 'o' ring at all you do not have he latest filler neck

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If I didn't have the latest, wouldn't I qualify for a replacement? I don't.

9. ammiels

ammiels New Member

I do not know. Had job done a week ago, put finger in hole....no rubber. Previously had 'unswallowed' when I topped up, now doesn't.