1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First day gas mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by dzitlow, Jun 17, 2005.

1. dzitlow

dzitlow New Member

On June 16 I picked up my new silver metallic Prius from dealer and drove the 81 miles home--perhaps 95% highway mileage. I had a tail-wind and drove between 55 to 60 with air conditioning on. At end of trip, computed mileage is 57.3. Is this possible? Is there an error in the Prius' computation of mileage? Hard to believe!! :eek:

2. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes there will be a little. my MFD usually says 57-60 mpg but on paper I only get about 54 mpg. Also 81 miles is too small a distance due to errors of the fuel tank meter and gas station pump meter. It is like using a 0.3mm mechanical pencil to measure out measurements then using a 5' wrecking ball to make the hole for the window.

A lot of members track their mileage over time on excel or using Green hybrid.com (http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/details.php?cid=515&graph=temp). I do both mainly because I want to see cost per day and mile out of curiosity. :) My F250 was 5x more expensive per mile, but I am a low mileage guy.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

That tailwind probably did alot for you too.

4. dzitlow

dzitlow New Member

I sure enjoy ready all of your postings! Timely, informative, reliable, interesting, dependable, and helpful!! Thanks so much :D

5. Beacher

Beacher Member

When our Prius had only about 200 miles on it, my wife took it on a 700 mile, 4-day trip. With my wife, daughter and luggage they averaged over 54 mpg for the entire trip. I was impressed that it did that well when it was so new.

Now we have had our Prius for 3 weeks, at we are already at almost 2000 miles! Going to have to cut back a bit!