1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

First Drive: 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Carefree, Arizona - Honda was quick out of the gate with a production gasoline-electric hybrid car in 1999. Its 2000 Insight was a two-door, two seat coupe that ushered in the new millennium, boasting fantastic fuel economy and a radical - if somewhat futuristic — design.

Still, the Insight was criticized for being impractical and looking odd. Consequently, the company introduced the much more conventional Civic Hybrid in 2003, and basically stopped promoting the Insight (except to acknowledge its world-leading production car fuel economy). But over the years, quirky became cute, and Toyota’s Prius garnered nearly all the celebrity attention and Hybrid press.

Honda continued to refine its Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) Hybrid drivetrain (which is a less complex hybrid system than Toyota’s, but still very effective) and has concluded that yes, many buyers, especially those making an environmental statement, do indeed want their decision to “go Hybrid†made visible.

So the all-new 2010 Honda Insight returns to its roots, so to speak, again looking decidedly “Hybrid,†but with major enhancements to practicality, safety and creature comforts. Now it’s a four-door hatch with multiple airbags, room for four adults (five in a pinch) and useful cargo capacity.

First Drive: 2010 Honda Insight hybrid

I don't know about you guys but the Insight is a pretty good challenge to the Prius. Ok, let's not get into the debate again but what I'm noticing is that the press seems to be able to get 60mpg (3.9L/100km) just by using the Insight's FE feedback mechanisms. That's pretty impressive.

So on the fuel economy forefront, it seems to be doing better than the HCH for less coin.

I also can't wait to see what the press gets with the Prius' ECO mode and Hybrid System Indicator.

2. Unlimited_MPG

Unlimited_MPG Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think you are right..this will be something to watch.

3. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Insight is a smaller class car. Storage is roomy, but especially passenger room is MUCH less than a Prius.

This video gives you a good picture of what it has to offer.

4. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The video says the new Insight has more cargo space than the 2009 Prius.

Huh? How?

5. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Smaller rear seat. The Prius has a very large rear seat for a mid-size car.

The Honda Fit manages to squeeze the same interior volume as the Prius into a smaller external package. The Insight has the same legroom and hiproom as a Fit but less headroom.

6. alam99

alam99 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The new Prius is a "better" car with more room, more features, but a higher price.
    The new Insight, at a lower price, can be considered to be "good enough" by many people.

I'd prefer to have the Prius, but it'll be a close race when the time finally comes for me decide which to buy.

7. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can't say I am impressed with the 40/43 EPA mileage figures. I would expect it to be better than the Civic Hybrid (40/45). I was kind of expecting 2009 and prior Prius like numbers.

I am also dubious on the "1.1 cu ft (1.5 according to the MotorTrend video review) more cargo space than a Prius" claim. Toyota changed the dimension from 16.0 to 14.4 cu between the 2005 and 2006 M/Y (IIRC). BUT, there is no actual change, we have an '04 and '06. Based on my measurements, the 2006+ measurement does not include the tray under the cargo area floor, nor some 'nook and cranny' space that is only useful for 'squash able' or 'carefully sized packaging' cargo (I'm not counting whatever you can store UNDER the tray). And, for comparison, the Insight 'under floor' storage looks pretty limited, useful for small and oddly shaped things. Not getting your plastic snow shovel in there! Of course, the Insight measurement may, or may not, include the under floor storage either, I have no idea.

I do like the rear headrests that store down in the seat back. Better rear view when they are not needed.

Can't say I like the cockpit much at all. Too spoiled by the current Prius I guess. Still has a twist key, still hides most of the gauges behind the steering wheel, still has a linear shifter (and in the way of the cup holders). Don't care for the controls in general. And while I don't usually get too hung up with outside design, I really don't care for the 'Manta Ray Maw' front end.

I will be interesting see what features are in the base model for $18,500 and the features and price of the LX. May or may not be a Prius killer after all :)

Just watched another video. Better not plan on putting any adults in the back seat! MotorTrend mentioned shoulder and hip room, but I also noticed there is almost no leg/foot room.

MotorTrend and I obviously don't agree: "But at least it is friendly and familiar. From a layout perspective, the Insight interior is very car like, a big departure from the Prius' futuristic but odd cockpit". They must really miss the good old days of crank start, manual chokes and gas tanks you pressurized with a pump handle while driving. :)

8. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It has a much smaller battery in the cargo area, so bigger trunk volumn.

9. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's very interesting. I'll test drive one when they come available.